3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   laziness (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/104691-laziness.html)

Mattt 02-14-2007 05:21 PM

laziness

I'll tell you what my problem is....
I'm getting into shape and find my exercise routine....
But then, just like happened last week I have some reason not to go to the gym (My ankle killed me last week !) and then I totally lose my motivation.
Once I miss a workout I'm totally out of it....

Did it happen to one of you ?
What did you did ?
:carrot:

alinnell 02-14-2007 05:28 PM

Yes, it happened to me......many years ago. I had lost 70 pounds (post pregnancy plus more) and after I lost, I started exercising 3x per week at home. Then came a vacation to visit family and go to my sister's wedding. No exercise on vacation. Got back home and was rather ill for a few days. I never (I mean NEVER) got back to exercising. I managed to keep all but 5 or 8 pounds off even without the exercise, so I thought I was home free. 5 years later my job stress got to me (big time) and I gained back all of my non-pregnant weight plus 10 pounds. Thus, you see me here. But I'm still trying to figure out a way to start exercising again. It is so much easier NOT to, even thought I KNOW I should.

Ilene 02-14-2007 07:11 PM

When it comes to exercising I don't question whether I will go or not, I just go... Would I question, should I take a bath, brush my teeth? NO, I just do it as a matter of routine I have to brush my teeth in order to have no cavities, I gotta take a shower cause I just don't wanna stink I want to have friends :lol: .... I look at exercise in the same way I've gotta do it for my health :shrug:

Ashley103 02-14-2007 08:16 PM

I know exactly what you're talking about. I've had several times when I've gone to the gym religiously for months and then miss a week for some reason. Once I've missed, I have a horrible time getting started again. I've read that it has to become part of your life.

I once participated in a weight loss program at a university. The exercise advisor in the program said that the key was to find some type of exercise that is part of your life instead of just exercise. Find a sport or activity you like and just make it part of your life - play tennis, hike, sail, etc. I'm hoping to begin kayaking soon rather than going to the gym. I find it too easy to skip the gym.

almostheaven 02-14-2007 11:24 PM

I've lost motivation many many many times. I have to get it back somehow. I have to change my exercise routine, or time of day. I use to keep a packed gym bag on the passenger seat when I was working to remind myself to go straight to the gym after work. If there was a reason I couldn't exercise, I'd find some type of exercise I COULD do. Bad ankle? Do upper body. When I was pregnant, I again started drawing away from exercise once I could no longer keep running. Walking was boring me and I started going for walks less and less. So I kicked myself in the butt and joined Curves. That got me re-interested and I started working out there 5 days a week.

Wildfyre 02-15-2007 12:08 AM

It doesn't matter to me whether I WANT to do it or not, I know I NEED to do it, so I just suck it up and put on my tennis shoes. I want to get healthy and I know I'll never get there unless I get off my rear and start moving.

I've tried the whole "give yourself a day off every week" thing, but that doesn't work for me. If I miss a day, I completely lose all my focus. I have a big wall calendar that I use to track my miles walked every day, and it keeps me moving. Other than that, I just have to work it into my day and deal with it.

Ilene 02-15-2007 06:57 PM

So Mattt have you gone back to the gym ? :D

BlueToBlue 02-16-2007 09:30 PM

What works for me is having a personal trainer. I had to miss a week of exercise because I was sick. As soon as I was able, I got right back into the gym because I had personal training sessions scheduled. If you have trainers available to you at your gym, maybe consider buying a few sessions just until you are back into your routine.