Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-09-2007, 09:06 AM   #1  
Constantly Tweaking

S/C/G: 172/159/130

Height: 5'2" (give or take)

Default How Often?

Ok, so I've been at this whole weight loss thing since Jan 2, '07 and have lost 6 lbs to date -- basically 1 lb per week. I've gone from walking 25 -30 minutes at 3.7/3.8 mph to walking some but running most at 4.2 - 4.3 mph for 3 miles, 5 days a week for a total of 45-50 minutes of target heartrate cardio, 5 days/wk. I also do two days of total gym stuff, about 25 minutes or so. My question is, how often should I be doing cardio and is that the best weight loss tool? I know, everyone is going to say you have to do what works best for you but how do you find that balance? After 6 weeks has my body made an "adjustment" to the running part? One of the reasons I like running/walking is because I know exactly what amount of effort it will take on my part to reach my target heart rate zone, I can sustain it for a longer amount of time than most aerobic dvds and I can do interval spurts to tweak it up every now and then. Would I benefit more if I dropped one day of running/walking and did an aerobic dvd instead? I have an old Gilad Step and Tone which is very low impact but long and I always "feel it" when I'm done. I'm also of the mindset that when I'm done doing any type of cardio, I should be sweating and be breathing hard; otherwise I think I've just wasted my time. Don't know if this thinking is correct or not. I have Firm tapes that I've used many times b/4 and am wondering should I walk/run 4 days per week and do something else (even if it's "less" aerobic) that 5th day. The total gym stuff I do 2 days a week regardless of what else I do. Also, I generally exercise M-F, skipping Sat and Sun. Would I benefit more from doing say M-W, skipping Thurs, doing F and Sat type schedule? Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated. Oh, I'm questioning all this because I didn't lose anything this past week even though everything else (diet and exercise) stayed the same. Thanks!

Jo

Last edited by Is that really me; 02-09-2007 at 11:22 AM.
Is that really me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 02:13 PM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Oh, I'm questioning all this because I didn't lose anything this past week even though everything else (diet and exercise) stayed the same. Thanks!
If you haven't had weight loss this week and you have been at the same workout program for 6 weeks it's time for a change, you've hit a plateau. I never do the same exercise every week, I change up my intensity in running, I do intervals, I do hills. On my weight training days, 4x/week, I change my workouts every week by lifting heavier, varying my exercises... IMHO this is what you are needing, a good change of pace.

You can also change your eating habits by doing less calories one day and more the next. This is called zig zagging...

All these things keep your body guessing and helps to lose weight...

Hope this helps and keep us posted on your progress
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote