Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-01-2007, 02:44 PM   #1  

Question Nauseated after my work out??

I felt a little nauseated after my work out today. What is that?! I’ve seen that happen before on TBL, but have never actually experienced that feeling while working out. It was on my drive back to work, about 15 minutes later.
Berlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:33 PM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

Sounds like you really pushed yourself that's why you felt sick, that's also why they get sick on TBL. They also get sick at first because they are not used to it. Have you been working out for a long time? Another reason could be that you didn't eat enough before your workout and/or you were famished afterwards and you needed to eat soon after your workout... Also did you drink enough before and during your workout? Even seasoned exercisers will experience this nausea after a different type of workout that has pushed them to the limit... If it happens too often get checked by your doctor to make sure it isn't something else...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:51 PM   #3  

I don't normally eat before my workout - maybe have a banana about an hour before. I did do more weights this afternoon, so maybe that had something to do with. I was hungry though...My stomach was growling before my workout and I tried to fill-up on water.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:53 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I used to get nauseous and dizzy if I didn't eat something 30-45 minutes before working out. So that may be the reason especially if you were noticeably hungry before working out.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 04:57 PM   #5  

***I'm confused****

I'm afraid to eat too much before I workout for energy because it doesn't make sense to me to eat 100 calorie banana and then workout for 20mins to burn 100 calories. What's the point then?

Wouldn't I just be better off not eating the banana and still having my normal after workout salad.

What I'm trying to say is that eating before my workout is just nullifying my workout, right?
Old 02-01-2007, 05:12 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I would aim to eat a protein/carb item before you workout, the banana may not be the best option. After you workout, you can also have a snack.

You aren't nullifying your workout because these are calories that fit into your day, not calories you are adding extra. Also your workout is more than burning calories, it is building muscle, improving cardio condition and burning fat.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 05:49 PM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

Oh my no, you aren't nullifying anything by eating before and after your workout... Like Nelie said it's part of your daily healthy intake of nutrients. I would suggest also, as Nelie said, that you eat a portion of carb and some lean protein. My favourite pre workout food is oatmeal and an eggwhite omelette for post workout I usually have a protein shake with a fruit such as half a banana or frozen berries...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:21 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 255/220/140

Height: 5'7

2 hrs prior to work out, you shouldnt eat...and the 2hrs before should be light, no carbs! yogurt and fruit, milk and fruit...after the work out you should eat healthy crabs and lean protein....
i dont think you had enough water during the workout...and maybe you started to hard core...drink a lot, and start slower if your a beginner...
aggie2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:09 AM   #9  

Thanks for all the advice, ladies! You guys really know your stuff! I just want to be sure that I do this right this time.