Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-03-2007, 12:11 PM   #1  

Default Running Shoes

What types of running shoes do you "chicks" wear?

My hubby and I are in the market for some new ones. I have wide feet and run on the treadmill.
Louise1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:24 PM   #2  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

My personal opinion is that there is no right answer to this question! Different brands seem to work better for different people.

My best suggestion is to go to a good running store. I loved that when I went to buy shoes, there was no question about "which colour do you like" or anything like that. It was just all about what the use would be and then they had me take off my shoes and socks and walk the store so that they could check my gait and pronation etc.

All I know is the shoes I bought (they were admittedly more walking shoes) were comfy from day one and not overly expesive. I'm going back soon for a real "running" pair!

Hope this helps.
elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:28 PM   #3  

Thanks for that...I do have a running store close to me... I will definitely be upset if they don't give me the same attention your store gave you.

I was just wondering if anyone would share the shoes they have luck with.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:34 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 275/137/140

Height: 5'7"

Louise, I definitely second the advice Elisa gave - you should go to a "real" running store (not a store like Footlocker, etc.) and they will analyze your gait and make a recommendation. This is the best way to get a shoe that will work for your individual needs - and everyone is different. This is really important in helping you avoid any injuries from running in a shoe that doesn't work correctly with your specific mechanics.
WindyCityChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

You can also go to roadrunnersports.com and use an online tool that will give you some recommendations. It will ask you about 10 questions about mileage and your body type and make some recommendations. I also have a wide foot and work on the treadmill and love the Adidas Supernova cushion. You might want to ask them to show you that one when you go to the store.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:48 PM   #6  

Thirding the advice, go to the IRL shop. Bring your old shoes and whatever socks you like to run in when you go.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:45 PM   #7  

Louise, My husband and son have wide feet. New Balance offers a good variety for the wider foot. I have flat thin feet. After going to a running store and letting them videotape me on the treadmill, I started wearing Brooks. I no longer get shinsplints or have foot pain. You should go to a store where you can talk to real runners about your needs. Be sure to talk about your arches, any foot, heal, or knee issues. Whenever I start getting strange aches, I know it is time for new shoes.
runnin' momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 05:37 PM   #8  

FYI... I went to Fleet Feet today and bought my new shoes. It was exactly as you ladies said. They looked at my feet and new exactly what I would need... He had me run in them... I wear Saucony's. Gym time! Later