3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   shoe question (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/101297-shoe-question.html)

babygrant 01-05-2007 04:57 PM

shoe question

i've been doinf the walk away the pounds 2 mile express at home. i just do it in my bare feet. today i put my shoes on to do my 54 minute tae bo extreme workout and not even 5 minutes into the workout the arches of my feet hurt really bad. am I hurting my feet by doing the WATP dvd without shoes on?

babygrant 01-07-2007 03:45 PM

bump, annyone? ;)

ennay 01-07-2007 04:57 PM

BAD SHOES BAD SHOES

Go to a running store. I know you are a walker, but running stores are where the professionals are located. And by running store I dont mean "foot locker". A store where running geeks go.

The professionals can watch you walk and get you a walking shoe with the proper support for your stride, foot and weight.

Just to give you a story
I had a pair of walking shoes that I didnt particularly like so I didnt wear them much. When we were painting our house last year I was wearing them to paint in. At the time I was in the middle of training for a running marathon so I was used to being active on my feet for hours

One day I had to seal all the floors in the house. The day before I had jumped off a ladder and jarred my foot. By the end of sealing the floors I could barely walk. My foot hurt to the touch, it hurt to move. I seriously thought I had broken my foot. I was supposed to run a half marathon in 2 days and was heartbroken.

The next morning it was no better. Finally for some reason I took off the walking shoes and put on my normal running shoes. I think just because they had more support and I knew I couldnt stop painting (we had a deadline before the carpet came!)

By the end of the night my foot felt 80% better

The next morning I got up and ran the half marathon with no problems.

The shoes went in the trashcan. (They werent cheap shoes either, they were Nike walking shoes, they just didnt hit my arch properly)

babygrant 01-07-2007 06:11 PM

The shoes I am wearing are ones I bought when I was pregnant with my oldest son.....he is now 3. Guess I do need some new shoes. I will have DH look after the kids tommorow so I can go buy some.

Sheila53 01-07-2007 06:53 PM

I also wouldn't do any impact aerobics without good shoes. Yes, you can injure your foot. You can put yourself at risk for getting plantar fasciitis (man, I never can remember how to spell that!), which is quite painful. You can do yoga and stretching without shoes, but, as ennay recommends, get a good pair of shoes for your workout.

Ilene 01-07-2007 07:21 PM

Quote:

am I hurting my feet by doing the WATP dvd without shoes on?
:fr: OUCH! and YES!! Please do put some shoes on :yes: ....
It's definitely time for new shoes, I agree with Ennay go to a running store and get fitted, well worth it... If your arches continue to hurt I would recommend seeing an orthopedist or podiatrist and getting orthotics...