3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Help! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/100510-help.html)

echocreek 12-27-2006 03:33 PM

Help!

Goodness gracious! I was doing SO well this summer, running 1hour 5 days a week before work. Then the winter came, and I bought a treadmill. I cant get myself on the dang thing but maybe 3 times a week and only for 1/2 hour at a time. What is wrong with me? Does someone have any ideas on how I can get my butt running on the treadmill? I watch Tv, that doesnt work, I listen to my Mp3 player, again nothing. I think it is becuase I can just get off of it. When I am outside running, I have to keep going to get back home. :( I am ashamed of myself. I have gained 10 lbs.
What can I do? Thank you for all your suggestions! Anyone want to come over with a whip to make me run for an hour every day!?? :(

ennay 12-27-2006 03:44 PM

running on the tread mill is hard. I run outside whenever possible (now I see your location and gotta say...there is rarely weather bad enough in oregon to use winter as an excuse - although you do get more snow in central than I do in western)

When on the treadmill, play games with the buttons. Intervals, progressions, inclines, pyramids - anything but run at steadystate. If I do succumb to the dreadmill I decide how long my workout will be (rarely more than 45 min) and then do warmup, and then start about 0.5 mph below my steady state pace and every 3 minutes bump it up by 0.1 until I am finishing my workout at 0.5 ABOVE my ss pace. Or I alternate flat and fast with slow and hill. Just keep pushing buttons!

And get some warm clothes and go outside!!!

thintowin 12-27-2006 03:50 PM

If you really hate the treadmill, buy some warm clothes and run outside. I haven't personally done this, but they say that once you start running you don't even feel the cold. www.coolrunning.com has a message board with several posts recommending the right kind of clothing to wear in the cold, rain, snow, etc.

echocreek 12-27-2006 04:27 PM

Yeah, I ran outside last year- in the snow... I need to just kick my own butt and do it no matter what. Thank you for the suggestions!!!!!

Ilene 12-28-2006 06:28 PM

I love and much prefer to run in the cold... Dress warmly with good dryweave clothes with a windbreaker and git out in the fresh cold air and run :yes: ...

Mini-Me 12-28-2006 08:32 PM

I just got some 'outdoor, cold weather clothing' from REI. It was paper thin, so I wondered how ON EARTH it would keep me warm. It not only keeps me warm, I'm down right HOT in it. I don't even wear the jacket. I just wear the 'special' shirt, the 'special' hat, and some paper thin 'special' gloves, and I'm perfectly comfortable. I new to doing ANYTHING outdoors, so I'm surprised I like it so much.

When I have to run on the treadmill at the gym, I choose one in front of a mirror and stare at my own eyes or at my necklace. For some reason, getting a solid 'focal' point makes it more tolerable. (I'm not one who likes to look in the mirror a lot, but it works for the treadmill...)