3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise Equipment (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-equipment-213/)
-   -   Joining the gym - HELP! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-equipment/149162-joining-gym-help.html)

Tifferanknee 08-14-2008 07:57 PM

Joining the gym - HELP!

I'm joining the gym next week, I actually already have my key and I've filled out paperwork, but I'll officially be staring next week. I've not been very big on exercising, but I REALLY want that to change. What things should I start out on? Any certain machines, weights, or whatever?? How long should I work out when just getting started?? Any and all advice is appreciated!! :?:

mamaspank 08-14-2008 08:17 PM

If you have been sedentary for a while, I would start out walking on the treadmill for about 30 minutes. If you are always pushing yourself, you will feel a result. Maybe even sign up with an instructor for several weeks or so. I promise, it is well worth the money. I thought I knew it all, as far as weight lifting and such, boy, did my instructor rewire my thinking.

Tifferanknee 08-14-2008 10:11 PM

The gym I'm joining is in a small town. There's a total of like, 200 members there. We're given an electronic key and are able to come and go whenever we want to exercise. They don't have any trainers there.

mollymom 08-15-2008 12:05 AM

It is hard to say without knowing what equipment is available. It is great advice to start out walking on the treadmill. You will want to do some weight training however. If they have machines that exercise individual muscle groups, that is great and hopefully they come with some sort of pictorial instructions. Remember you want to start with biggest muscles - legs, butt, calves..move to shoulders, arms (triceps/biceps), chest and then to abdominals. I hope you can find something on stretching as well.

It is best to take a day off between weight training sessions. I try to do three weight and three cardio /fatburning (for that me is the treadmill) workouts a week. You want to start at a weight that makes it feel just hard to get through the last of 12-15 reps. You can hopefully have a sheet or design one yourself that lists your machines in order, what weights you are using and what are the settings for the seat, back etc.

Hopefully there will be some experienced members there. You can watch them to see what they do. Unfortunately that doesn't mean you are going to learn good technique and form which are crucial. I have worked for over a year with a personal trainer, so I am fortunate. It was for rehabilitation not weight loss but I know that weight training can do wonderful things for the body.

Does your town have a library? Our library has books on weight training both machine and free weights that have loads of illustrations and instructions. There are also websites that outline stretching programs, free weight programs, show some popular machines etc. JUST BE CAREFUL. Start slow, take your time, watch others. If there is a message board, perhaps you could post that you are looking for some help.

Good luck...it is hard to believe..but you just may come to love the gym...and on the days you really don't want to go..make yourself, unless you are sick..it is great stress relief, you will be proud of yourself for going, and you will feel better afterwards..I PROMISE!:lifter::ebike::tread:

Tifferanknee 08-15-2008 09:55 AM

Thanks mollymom! I'm actually very excited about going to the gym, that might change after a while, but I surely hope not! I'll look online for websites to help me out and maybe print some things out and make me a chart, print it out and start me a binder with all of this info in it. Thanks for your help!

Tomato 08-15-2008 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tifferanknee (Post 2316959)
I'm joining the gym next week, I actually already have my key and I've filled out paperwork, but I'll officially be staring next week. I've not been very big on exercising, but I REALLY want that to change. What things should I start out on? Any certain machines, weights, or whatever?? How long should I work out when just getting started?? Any and all advice is appreciated!! :?:

Hi Tiff,
Congrats on joining the gym.
You said there are no trainers, but isn't there anybody who would at least take you round and explain what the various machines are for? Most gyms do that.
I agree with Mollymom's advice- depending on your level of fitness, a walk on the treadmill would be a good start. You can easily make it more/less challenging by changing the speed and incline level. Or maybe you will like the elliptical.
Are you reading any fitness magazines? I am thinking about subscription to Oxygen - it is a fitness mag for women and I quite like it. Years ago, I used to by Shape, then I stopped and I picked up an issue recently and was disgusted how much they have turned away from exercise and are now more into fashion etc. At the moment, I find Oxygen the best fitness magazine for women - maybe you can buy an issue or two - they show various exercises, explain which muscles they challenge, etc. You will also find some nutrition advice there. I am working out without a trainer myself and I am bringing my own notebook with me where I have clippings from the magazine (because once I am in the gym, I forgot what I saw in the magazine).
Good luck.

Tifferanknee 08-15-2008 11:27 AM

Thanks Tomato. I could try to meet up with the owners of the gym and ask them to help me out, or I might possibly run into someone while I'm there and I'll ask them. I've got a few links that I'm checking out now for more information, but I'll definitely grab an issue of Oxygen and check it out. I hadn't thought about fitness magazines, but that's really a great idea. Thank you!