Exercise Equipment Does it work? Share your experiences with exercise equipment here.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:15 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/276/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Bike advice

I have a lot of weight to lose. I want to start bicycling, but will need to take my bike to a nicer area to ride (I live in a questionable neighborhood that my hubby would not want me riding alone in). So, I'm looking for a good bike that is for a beginner that can transport well (on one of those rack thingies).

I've been thinking about a comfort bike with a nice sized seat, b/c the handlebars are up higher and therefore I think would be easier on the back. Does anyone know if that's a good beginner bike. I'd be riding in the city, no off road stuff.

Anyone have a suggestion?
katrs5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:42 AM   #2  

Hi there--

I don't have specific ideas re; a bike for you, as I'm a mountain biker. You might want to post your question in the biker chicks thread though, there's a wealth of information over there. Enjoy biking!
boarderchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 234/205/185

Height: 5'10"

easy racer recumbent EZ-1 $425.00 on ebay. I have one for my wife and I have tour easy model
geobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 08:17 PM   #4  

Height: 5'8.5"

I am not a bike expert... but I recently bought one and just went to a reliable sports store... REI... and had them help me pick out the right one. The price might be a bit more than you would pay other places but in my opinion the support and service are well worth it!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:17 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

My ex BF works for Trek bikes, so I'm a little partial to that brand as they make great bikes. I have a mt. and a road bike, but I would suggest you get a hybrid - great for riding around the city and they are comfortable. I would caution you away from supposed 'comfort' bikes and 'comfort' seats - they are actually UNcomfortable after you've been on the bike for a while! I would HIGHLY recommend you go to a local reputable bike shop to learn about bikes, get fitted, etc. I would also recommend you get a 21 speed if you'll be riding any hills - you'll regret a 3 speed unless it's flat, flat, flat.

I had a great ride today myself, and I wish you lots of luck with your bike shopping.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 04:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 191/184/110

Height: 5'2"

I just bought a Schwinn Jaguar cruiser at Target for $99. Very comfortable riding bike. I'm having trouble doing much walking right now because of my lower back, but I found that I could do this quite comfortably. Comfortable seat and 7 speeds... I like it!
Loriannc is offline   Reply With Quote