Fabulously filling Chickpea Burgers

• Recipe: Chickpea Burgers

Mashed and pan-fried chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, make a delicious veggie burger.

Yield 4 burgers
    Time 20 minutes
    Tools frying pan
    wooden spoon
    large bowl
    potato masher or food processor
    small bowl
    spatula

Ingredients 2 T olive oil
    1½ c onions, minced
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 t ground cumin
    1 c carrot, finely chopped
    1¾ c cooked and drained chickpeas
    1½ T tahini or peanut butter
    ¼ c parsley, minced
    1/3 c chick pea or white flour
    ½ t baking soda
    1 t salt
    juice from ½ lemon

Directions Heat 1 T of oil and sauté the onions over medium heat, stirring frequently, until they soften, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, and carrot and sauté for two more minutes.
    Transfer to large bowl or food processor and add the chickpeas. Mash or process until mushy. Stir in tahini and parsley.

Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt in the small bowl, then stir into chickpeas.

Flour your hands, shape mixture into four patties, and dust them with flour.

Fry in 1 T oil over medium-low heat for 1 minute, until just beginning to brown. Flip, fry 2 minutes, flip again, and fry 1 one minute (2 minutes total per side). Splash with a bit of lemon juice and serve. These are wonderful topped with hummus or baba ganouj.

These are not the texture of a regular burger, a little softer actually...I put them in half a pocket pita with a little thousand island dressing, some bean sprouts, onion and tomato.
  • I think I'll try this tomorrow...they sound sort of like falafals without the deep frying!