Vegetarian Chili

• I'm new here, so I figured I'd share a recipe before I start asking all of you for support!

I used to make this with ground beef, but I am trying to cut fat and calories. The only issue with this version of the recipe is the sodium content due to the canned tomatoes and kidney beans. I am going to swap these out for fresh tomatoes and dried beans next time, so I'll update this post with the new nutritional info when I do.

Ingredients:

2 15-oz. cans diced tomatoes
    2 8-oz. cans tomato sauce
    2 15-oz. cans kidney beans
    1 c. frozen corn
    1/2 green pepper, chopped
    1/2 red pepper, chopped
    1/2 yellow pepper, chopped
    1 onion, chopped
    1/2 tablespoon chili powder (*reduce to 1 tsp. if you are sensitive to spicier foods)
    1 to 2 bay leaves

Put the tomatoes and tomato sauce in the pot first. Set the stove to medium heat and let them heat up until they bubble, stirring occasionally. Add the rest of the ingredients, stir well enough to mix everything up and then reduce the heat to low and cover the pot. Cook for one hour on low, stirring every 5 minutes or so, or until the liquid has evaporated.

Nutrition Info:

This is for a 1-cup serving. These numbers are based on my calculations -- I took the nutrition info for all the ingredients, added it all up and then divided by 7, as the recipe makes 7 one-cup servings.

Calories: 184.4
    Fat: 0.8 g
    Protein: 9.3 g
    Fiber: 8.3 g
    Sodium: 880 (will be quite a bit lower if you swap fresh tomatoes and dried beans)
    Carbs: 39.22

This is a super easy meal.
  • Lovely chili ^.^
    You can really cut a good amount of sodium from canned beans by rinsing them with water before throwing them in.
    If you miss that texture that the ground beef made, you can add some TVP to it. Rehydrated it with hot veggie broth and add it to the chilli near the end.

Welcome to 3FC!!
  • Quote: Lovely chili ^.^
    You can really cut a good amount of sodium from canned beans by rinsing them with water before throwing them in.
    If you miss that texture that the ground beef made, you can add some TVP to it. Rehydrated it with hot veggie broth and add it to the chilli near the end.

Welcome to 3FC!!
    Thanks for the welcome! I always rinse the beans beforehand, so I'm sure I lost some of the sodium. I just don't know how much for nutrition content purposes, so I left it at the original amount. The dried beans and fresh tomatoes should add very little, so one serving should only be about 330 mg of sodium if you use those (from the tomato sauce).
  • Welcome!& Your chili looks delishhhhh! Yummm
  • I love how we all are gathered here on this forum and discuss some cool vegetarian and non-vegetarian and even vegan recipes. Well, I can clearly declare veg chilli as my most favorite recipe. Grab the recipe from Living Foodz.
  • I love home made veggie chili. I usually use a mix of beans (kidneys, pintos, and great northerns) and go up higher on the peppers and onions and use canned corn. The corn and beans together make more complete protein. Frontier makes an excellent chili powder without added salt.I buy that powder in 1lb bags! I also dr. ain and rinse the beans.

I will have to share my chili powder breakfast potatoes and tofurkey in another post.