1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
    1 Tbsp maple syrup
    1 Tbsp dry sherry
    1 tsp ginger root, fresh, minced
    1/2 tsp five-spice powder
    2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
    1/2 tsp table salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1 pound uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast(s), cut into 2-inch pieces
    2 tsp peanut oil

Instructions:
    1. Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sesame seeds and cook until lightly toasted, shaking the pan frequently, about 2 to 3 minutes; transfer seeds to a shallow dish and set aside.
    2. Whisk water, soy sauce, maple syrup, sherry, ginger and five-spice powder together in a small bowl; set aside.
    3. Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish; add chicken and turn to coat. Shake chicken pieces to remove excess flour.
    4. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and sauté until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Add soy sauce mixture to chicken and cook until sauce thickens and is almost evaporated, about 2 to 3 minutes more.
    5. Dip chicken pieces in toasted sesame seeds and serve, drizzled with any additional soy sauce mixture. Yields about 4 strips per serving.

POINTS® Value | 4
    Servings | 4
    Preparation Time | 16 min
    Cooking Time | 11 min
    Level of Difficulty | Moderate
  • 2 tsp dark sesame oil (I used olive and it was fine)
    1 pound uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast(s), four 4-oz pieces
    1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
    1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste
    15 oz Del Monte Mandarin Oranges In Light Syrup, or similar item
    1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
    1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
    2 tsp cornstarch

Instructions

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper; add chicken to skillet and cook until golden, flipping once, about 2 minutes per side.

Drain oranges and reserve 1/4 cup liquid. Add oranges with reserved liquid to skillet and simmer 2 minutes. Whisk together broth, soy sauce and cornstarch in a small bowl; add mixture to pan and simmer until sauce thickens and chicken is cooked through, about 3 minutes more. Yields 1 piece of chicken and about 1/4 cup of sauce per serving.
  • Our family loves this recipe. It sounds a little more complicated than it is. Read the recipe through before beginning.

Thai Chicken Satay

1/2 cup soya sauce
    1 tsp garlic, minced
    1/8 cup brown sugar (or brown sugar splenda)
    dash of cayenne pepper
    1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (approximately 4 large)
    bamboo skews

Combine sugar, garlic, soya sauce and cayenne pepper in a mixing bowl. Cut the chicken into long strips (about 5 to 7 strips per breast). Add chicken to the marinade and let soak in the fridge. Soak bamboo skews in water if you are BBQing the chicken

Prepare 1.5 cups basmati rice with three cups water - microwave high ten minutes and then medium ten minutes in a covered microwave safe casserole bowl.

Prepare Dressing:
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    3/4 cup Kraft sundried tomato and oregano salad dressing
    1/8 tsp chili flakes

Wash up 1 bunch green Leaf Lettuce

Prepare Dipping sauce:

1.5 tablespoons light peanut butter
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    1 tsp. brown sugar
    1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/8 tsp cumin powder
    Water to smooth to a past (approx. 2 tsp)

Skew the chicken on bamboo skewers that have been soaked in water. Grill or BBQ until they are no longer pink...discard left over marinade.

The peanut sauce is to put very sparingly on the chicken. To assemble - lay out a layer of lettuce, put rice in the centre of lettuce leave, drizzle dressing over the rice, add the chicken (remove from the skewer), drizzle with a small amount of peanut sauce. Roll up and eat like a taco (or if you prefer - measure desired portions out and eat with a knife and fork)

Calories - 449
    Fat 12.3 g
    Protein 33.9 g
    Carbohydrates 50.7 g

Serves 4 - 6
  • I'm gonna make this tonight ~ it sounds delicious and my son LOVES orange chicken ~ thanks for the recipe!
  • I just wanna say that I made this AND LOVED IT! My husband even ate it (and that is saying ALOT) THANKS FOR A NEW RECIPE WHICH WILL BE MADE AGAIN!
    kellyjo
  • I actually made this dish out of their cookbook a few weeks ago, and found it to be rather bland... I'm going to try it again, though, and maybe add some fresh ginger to spice it up! Just a thought.
  • Points Value?
    I do not have access to the website so could you tell me how many points are in a serving?! Thanks a bunch!
  • above in first post she said 5pts per serving. I copied this one think will try it out since it sounds yummy
  • Thank you! I even read through that before I asked for the points and didn't even notice that it was right there! Thanks!
  • Sweet Stuffed Japanese Eggplants
    Keys: Low Calorie Fat Free Diet Vegan Vegetables Vegetarian Holiday Main Dish Japanese Japan Asian Oriental
    Yield: 8

Ingredients:

8 x Japanese eggplants
    1 tbl canola oil
    1 1/2 cup minced onion
    1 med red bell pepper
    1 cup nonfat vegetable stock
    1 tbl minced fresh ginger root
    2/3 cup tomato sauce
    2 tbl dark brown sugar
    2 tbl raisins
    1/3 cup blanched sliced almonds to 1/2 cup
    1 tsp salt or to taste
    1 tbl curry powder or to taste
    cooking spray

Method:
    Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray a 9x13 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Make a deep lengthwise slit in each eggplant, but don't cut all the way through. Set aside.

To make the stuffing, heat the oil in a large skillet, and cook the onion and bell pepper over medium-high heat, stirring, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients, stir and simmer 2 minutes.

Spread a thin layer of the stuffing on the bottom of the baking pan. Spoon the remaining stuffing into the cut of each eggplant and place the stuffed eggplants in the baking dish. Cover the pan with foil and bake 25 minutes. Uncover and bake until the eggplants are tender, about 20 to 25 minutes more.
  • Bento Boxes with Ellen
    Keys: Rice Salads Dressings Scallops Vegetables Seafood Japanese Japan Asian Oriental Cold Room
    Yield: 4

Ingredients:

----------------- MESCLUN SALAD ----------------
    1 1/2 tbl vinegar, sugarcane, champagne,
    or white-wine
    1 pch brown sugar
    Coarse salt
    Freshly-ground black pepper
    2 tbl extra-virgin olive oil
    6 oz mesclun salad greens

----------------- PICKLED VEGETABLES ----------------
    1 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 tbl salt
    1 x carrot
    1 x red pepper
    1 x yellow pepper
    1/2 x jicama

----------------- SEARED SCALLOPS WITH SCALLIONS ----------------
    2 tbl sesame oil
    3 tbl soy sauce
    2 bn scallions
    2 x carrots
    1 1/2 tbl peanut oil
    1 lb fresh sea scallops cleaned
    Coarse salt

----------------- JASMINE-TEA RICE ----------------
    2 cup Japanese rice
    3 tbl jasmine tea
    1 tbl peanut oil
    1 tsp coarse salt
    Freshly-ground black pepper

Method:
    * Note: Bento boxes are made of metal or lacquered wood. These tidy lunch boxes are divided into sections for each part of the meal.

MESCLUN SALAD: In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Whisk in olive oil, and adjust seasoning if necessary. Add greens, and toss to coat thoroughly with dressing; your hands are the best tools for this job. (Serves 4)

PICKLED VEGETABLES: Peel carrot and cut at angles into 1/2-inch pieces. Cut red and yellow peppers into 1/2-inch triangles. Peel and cut jicama into 1/2-inch triangles.

In a small saucepan, heat vinegar, sugar, salt, and 1/4 cup water until sugar and salt dissolve and mixture is heated through. Place vegetables in a medium-size bowl, and pour hot pickling mixture over vegetables. Let vegetables sit 1 hour at room temperature or 4 hours in refrigerator, covered. Serve cold or at room temperature. (Serves 4)

SCALLOPS: Cut scallions at an angle into 1-inch pieces. Finely julienne the carrots using a Japanese mandoline. In a small saucepan, heat sesame oil with soy sauce. Stir in scallions, and covered cook, 10 minutes. Add carrots, and cook for about 1 minute.

Heat peanut oil in a large saute pan over high heat. Season scallops with salt, and place in saute pan to sear until brown and crusty, about 2 minutes on each side.

To serve, place a bed of scallion-carrot mixture on the plate and arrange scallops around it. Drizzle with any scallion liquid that may be left in pan. (Serves 4)

RICE: Rinse rice well. Grind tea in a spice grinder until it becomes a fine powder. In a medium pot, add rice and 2 cups cold water. Let soak 30 minutes. Stir rice well, and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir well again, and reduce heat to low. Cover, and let simmer 11 minutes. Remove from heat, and let rest, covered, about 5 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes. Stir in tea powder, oil, salt, and pepper with a wooden spoon or spatula.

Wet hands and rice molds with water to prevent rice from sticking. Fill molds about two-thirds full with rice. Using a gentle rocking motion, evenly compact rice with the mold's press. Push the rice through the mold. Repeat with remaining rice. Serve hot or at room temperature. (Makes 4 cups)
  • Pad Thai Recipe?
    Does anyone have a pad thai recipe other than the one that is in the New Complete Cookbook? I used to have a great Anne Lindsay one but can't find it. I need to make it tonight!!!
    Thanks MJ
  • Here is a good pad thai... thai is my favorite food and I cook it at least once a weekfor dinner .. usually more hope you get this in time

8 oz (250 g) flat rice noodles
    1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
    2 tsp (10 mL) minced garlic
    2 cups (500 mL) thinly sliced cabbage
    1 medium carrot, cut in julienne strips
    2 eggs, lightly beaten
    3 cups (750 mL) bean sprouts
    1 cup (250 mL) julienned green onions
    1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh coriander (optional)
    1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped peanuts
    Seasoning Sauce:

3 tbsp (50 mL) fish sauce (nam pla or Thai fish sauce)*
    or 2 tbsp (25 mL) rice vinegar
    1/4 cup (50 mL) ketchup
    2 tbsp (25 mL) water
    2 tbsp (25 mL) molasses
    2 tbsp (25 mL) low-sodium soy sauce
    1 tsp (5 mL) granulated sugar
    1/4 tsp (1 mL) crushed red pepper flakes or fresh chili paste
    Cover rice noodles in hot water; soak for 20 minutes. Drain well.

Seasoning Sauce: In small bowl, combine fish sauce, ketcup, water, molasses, soy sauce, sugar and red pepper flakes; set aside. In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; stir in garlic, then cabbage and carrot. Stir-fry for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender-crisp. Push vegetables to side of pan; pour in eggs and stir to scramble.

Add drained noodles and sauce; reduce heat to medium and stir-fry until noodles soften, about 4 minutes. Add 2 cups (500 mL) of the bean sprouts and green onions; stir until mixed and heated through. Transfer to serving platter or individual plates. Sprinkle with coriander (if using), peanuts and remaining bean sprouts.

Makes 5 main-course servings, 8 side-dish servings.

Variations: Before adding eggs, add 1 cup (250 mL) chopped raw chicken or pork and/or 1 cup (250 mL) cooked or raw shrimp and/or 1 cup (250 mL) diced firm tofu to pan; stir-fry until cooked. Then add eggs and continue as in above recipe.

* fish sauce is a staple ingredient in Thai cooking. It is available in some supermarkets and most Asian grocery stores. It keeps on the shelf for at least a year.

PER SERVING

Calories: 217
    total fat: 6 G
    saturated fat: 1 G
    fibre: 3 G
    GOOD: Vitamin B6, Folacin, Magnesium Excellent: Vitamin A
    protein: 6 G
    carbohydrate: 37 G
    cholesterol: 47 Mg
    sodium: 586 Mg
    potassium: 345 Mg
  • Thanks so much.... this is the recipe i was thinking about. I have all the ingredients except the molasses any suggestions as to replacement?

MJ
  • Sorry i didnt see your post sooner.. maybe some hoisin sauce with brown sugar? Not really sure.. you could try carmelizing some sugar to make it darker.. that might work..