Ham Jambalaya

• This came from the Better Homes and Gardens New Dieter's Cookbook

Preparation Time: 25 min. Cooking Time: 20 min Low fat, low cholesterol

Nonstick spray coating
    1 cup chopped onion
    3/4 cup chopped green pepper
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    1 clove garlic minced
    2 cups cubed, fully cooked ham (about 10 ounces)
    1 - 14 oz can tomatoes, cut up
    1 1/4 cups chicken broth
    1/2 tsp dried thyme, crushed
    1/8 to 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
    1 bay leaf
    3/4 cup long grain rice (use Uncle Ben's Converted for South Beach phase 2)
    1 cayenne pepper diced (my addition for extra spicyness)

Spray a large skillet with nonstick spray coating. Add onion, green pepper, celery, and garlic (with cayenne if using). Cook over medium heat until vegetables are tender.

Add ham, undrained tomatoes, chicken broth, thyme, red pepper and bay leaf. Bring to boiling and stir in rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer about 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Discard bay leaf. Makes 5 servings.

You could skip the rice (still cook for the same time) and serve it over lightly steamed coarsely chopped cabbage for a phase 1 dish.

I am able to buy a bag of seasoning mix in the frozen vegetable section of the grocery store. 1 bag equals the right mixture of onion, green pepper and celery so I use that sometimes in place of the individual ingredients. This is one of those quick meals that I make when I don't want to spend a lot of time in preparation. It is good with steamed broccoli or a salad.

Nutritional information per serving:
    230 calories, 16g protein, 31g carbohydrates, 4g fat, 30 mg cholesterol, 1020mg sodium, 538 mg potassium