Rachael Ray "Jambasta"

• Her combo of Jambalaya and Pasta. I will mark what I did in parentheses. Be ye warned, I am not great at following directions and I also don't really like spicy food.

Salt
    1 pound penne rigate, pasta with lines (I used 1/2 lb of quinoa pasta, and it still turned out to be a TON of food)
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan
    2 tablespoons butter (I omitted, just used olive oil)
    1/2 pound andouille sausage, any brand, casing removed and diced (I used 1 lb. turkey kielbasa since SBD technically doesn't allow sausages--could maybe use chicken sausage or just omit)
    4 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 poblano pepper, seeded and chopped or thinly sliced
    1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    2 ribs celery from the heart with greens, chopped
    1 onion, chopped
    Salt and ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (use whole wheat flour)
    1 cup beer, 1/2 bottle (I used vegetable stock)
    1 cup chicken stock
    1 (14-ounce) can, crushed tomatoes
    2 tablespoons hot sauce (recommended: Franks Red Hot or Tabasco) eyeball it (I omitted because I don't like things too hot!)
    2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped (I used dried)
    1/2 pound chicken breast, diced into small pieces (I omitted)
    1/2 pound medium shrimp, cleaned and tails removed
    1/4 cup heavy cream, eyeball it (I didn't use because I didn't have it--could use FF 1/2 and 1/2 or LF sour cream)
    2 scallions, sliced

Heat a pot of water to a boil for pasta and add salt to it then pasta. Cook to al dente and drain.

While pasta works, heat a deep skillet over medium high heat. Add extra-virgin olive oil, butter and andouille. Brown the sausage 2 to 3 minutes to render the fat. Remove with a slotted spoon. Add garlic, peppers, celery and onions. Saute the veggies for 5 to 6 minutes. Season the mixture with salt and pepper and add flour to the pan. Cook flour with veggies 2 minutes more then whisk in beer. Cook beer out, 2 minutes. Add chicken stock, tomatoes, hot sauce and thyme. Bring liquid to a bubble and add chicken and shrimp. Cook 6 to 7 minutes until chicken is firm and shrimp are opaque and firm. Stir to mix in cooking juices then add in cream. Drain the pasta and add it to the sauce. Ladle up the jambasta and top with chopped scallions and reserved crispy andouille.

This makes a TON of food--at least 8 servings and that was with just 1/2 lb of pasta.

8 servings (I calculated this with 1/2 lb kielbasa, 1/2 lb chicken, and 1/2 lb shrimp, and 2 cups cooked pasta. WW pasta was not an option so I don't know how that might change this)
    Cal: 233 Fat:11g Sat Fat: 3g Chol: 70mg Sodium:511 mg Carb: 20g Fiber: 3 g Sugar: 2 g Protein: 15 g
    And 87% of your vitamin c for the day!

Enjoy!

Jessie
  • OK, we ate this last night and it was delicious! One note: if you use quinoa pasta, don't freeze it and reheat it because it breaks down into mush!!!!! It was still good, but the pasta had somehow decided to take its old shape, apparently. But I will definitely try again with WW pasta or just over brown rice or something. Just the right amount of spicy for me.

Jess