Chicken Tagine

• This is my version of a North African stew called a Tagine. I changed the original recipe to make it SBD friendly and cut down on the sweet potatoes. Very unusual and very yummy. It looks like a lot of ingredients but it's actually very easy to throw together.

-2 T olive oil
    -1 lb boneless skinless ckn breasts, cut into bite size pieces
    -1 large onion, chopped
    -1 can diced tomatoes w/ juice
    -1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    -2 small sweet potatoes, or one med-lg one (about 8 oz), diced into 1 inch cubes
    -1/4 C diced dried apricots
    -1/4 C diced prunes
    -2 ripe oranges, seeds removed
    -4 strips of orange peel, no white pith (use a vegetable peeler)
    -2 tsp. red pepper flakes
    -1 tsp. cinammon
    -1 tsp. cumin
    -salt and pepper
    -hot sauce (optional)

Preheat oven to 350. After removing the needed amount of peel, squeeze the oranges hard to get out as much juice as possible. While still squeezing, use a knife to remove as much pulp as possible. Or, you could remove the peel, then with a knife peel the entire orange and seperate it in to segments and chop it up. Don't forget to remove the seeds. You need to try to include as much of the pulp as possible so it's not just the juice you're using to make it ok for the SBD.

In a big oven safe pot sautee the chicken pieces in the oil until just browned. Add onion and cook about 3 min. Add tomatoes, chickpeas, sweet potatoes, oranges, orange peel, and spices. Bring to a simmer then put in the oven for about 40 minutes. After 40 min, stir in the dried apricots and prunes. Put back in the oven for about 10 min. Serve and enjoy. Serves 4

**If you don't have an oven safe pot big enough just transfer the mixture from what you sauteed it in into an oven safe container. That's what I did.

Cal 473/Carb 64/Fiber 11/Fat 10/Pro 32
  • I like to try new things, and that sounds good, thanks for the recipe!