Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 03:31 PM   #1  

Default Southwest Chicken Brown Rice Phase 2

This recipe calls for Uncle Ben's Brown Rice that cooks in 10 min. and I don't know if it's allowed on SBD. I suppose you could substitute reg brown rice that's almost completely cooked since the cooking time after you add the rice is very short. I can't find 8 oz cans of tomatoes or beans so I use half a regular can and freeze the extra for another time.

3/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into short, thin strips
1 teas each ground cumin & chili powder
1/2 teas salt
1 tbl olive oil
1 sm onion sliced into rings
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can diced tomatoes (8 oz)
1/3 cup salsa OR 1/4 cup water
1 cup Uncle Ben's Brown Rice
1can kidney beans (8 oz) drained and rinsed (I use pinto)
1/4 cup shredded low fat Monterey Jack cheese (optional)
Sliced avacado (optional)

Sprinkle chicken with salt, cumin, and chili powder. Heat oil in 10 in. skillet over med heat, add chicken; cook and stir until no longer pink. Add onion and garlic, cook 2 min longer. Drain tomatoes, reserve liquid, add water to to make 3/4 cup. Add liquid and salsa to skillet, bring to a boil. Stir in rice; reduce heat. Cover tightly and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in beans and tomatoes. Remove from heat. Let stand 5 min until all liquid is absorbed. Sprinkle with cheese and garnish with avacado. 4 servings.
Old 09-05-2004, 12:50 PM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Pennywise, this looks really good!

The reserved liquid and such is for the rice, and we aren't supposed to use the quick cooking kind (your hunch was right).

To make this SBD-friendly, I would make the brown rice separately, then just add it in with the beans and tomatoes later. Skip the step where you add the tomato juice and water...just drain the tomatoes and toss the liquid.

I'll have to try this...yum!
Closed Thread