Hold on to your Hat Steel Cut Oats with Kale

• From "My Beef with Meat," an Engine 2 Diet book.

This sounds odd but is quite tasty.

1 medium onion, chopped
    2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
    1 red bell pepper, chopped
    4 cups (about 1 bunch) kale, leaves stripped from stems and chopped
    1 cup steel-cut oats
    3 cups low-sodium or unsalted vegetable broth
    3 T nutritional yeast
    hot sauce, optional
    black pepper, to taste

Saute onion until softened and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and bell pepper and cook for 1-2 minutes. (Recipe suggests a splash of broth as needed to keep things from sticking but I just used a bit of olive oil.) Add kale to pan and cook about 3 minutes, until the leaves reduce to about half their original size. Add oats, broth, and nutritional yeast; bring to a boil, cover, lower to simmer, cook for 25 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. Season as desired.
  • thanks Karen, can't wait to try it.

I'm making mushroom sundried tomato "risotto" tonight
  • This sounds so delish! I don't like sweet stuff for breakfast and often eat my oats with a little olive oil, salt and cayenne. I have also been eating them topped with sautéed greens and a poached egg for years. Whenever I've shared this recipe with people, they make faces at me! Glad to see I've been validated in print.

I used to live in Asia and in Singapore they made a rice porridge for breakfast called congee. In Indonesia they made a soup called nasi soto ayam. Both are layered soups, with rice as the base, then layered with a flavorful ginger and lemongrass spiced chicken broth, shredded chicken meat, spring onions, mung bean sprouts, chilies, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime, then topped with a sliced hard boiled egg or a fried egg. I like to make it with a base of steel cut oats instead. Very tasty!