Recovering Sugarholic

Height: 5'3"

Default Chicken Satay Stir-Fry with Orange-Scenter Rice

From Rachael Ray's 30 Minute Meals
Serves 6

This is super yummy.

* 3 3/4 cups water
* 2 oranges, zested
* 2 cups jasmine rice, rinsed (use brown rice or basmati instead)
* 2 tablespoons canola or safflower oil
* 1 1/2-1 3/4 pounds chicken breast tenders (2 packages), sliced on an angle into bite-size pieces
* 3 cloves garlic, crushed
* 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
* 1 red bell pepper, seeded, quartered and sliced
* 1 cup store-bought shredded carrots or 2 medium carrots cut into matchsticks
* 6 scallions, cut on an angle into 2-inch pieces
* 1 cup snow peas (a couple of handfuls)

Satay sauce:

* 4 rounded tablespoons chunky peanut butter
* 3 tablespoons Tamari (dark soy sauce)--Use regular soy sauce, I think Tamari has sugar
* 3 tablespoons honey--OMIT
* 1 inch ginger root, peeled and minced
* 1 clove garlic, crushed
* 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
* 1/2 orange, juiced--OMIT
* Since you are deleting liquid, add in a little bit of sesame oil and some Splenda if you like a sweeter sauce. You may need to up the soy sauce as well. It doesn't need to be too runny, just not super thick.

Garnish:

* 2 ounces chopped peanuts or nut topping (1/4 cup), available on the baking aisle
* 2-3 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves or flat leaf parsley, for garnish
* 2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves

Preparation

Heat water with orange zest to boiling. Add rice, return to a boil, then stir. Cover pot and reduce heat to simmer. Cook rice until tender, about 18 minutes. Fluff with fork.

For stir fry, heat a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add the chicken, garlic and onion and stir fry for 3 minutes. Add the remaining veggies and stir fry for 5 minutes more.

Heat all ingredients for sauce together in a small pot over low heat, stirring the sauce until all ingredients are combined.

Transfer stir fry to a large platter and pour sauce evenly over the chicken and vegetables. Sprinkle the platter with chopped nuts, cilantro and basil. Serve jasmine rice in a separate dish with an ice cream scoop to serve the rice with – it makes perfect, pretty, round portions of rice on the dinner plates.

Last edited by JessieW; 08-19-2008 at 11:21 AM.
JessieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:22 AM   #2  
Recovering Sugarholic

Height: 5'3"

Ruth, that should be Orange-ScenteD rice, not scenter. Sorry I can't spell.
JessieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:29 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Looks yummy Jessie. If you want the sweetness you could also sub in agave nectar for the honey. I will definitely try this one sometime soon!
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:38 PM   #4  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Delicious, absolutely delicious. I have always been a huge fan of satays, peanut sauce is scrumptious.

I was planning on making chicken stirfry with broccoli for lunch with a simple home-made stirfry sauce, but after reading your post decided to make it satay style, so I mixed soy sauce, bit of smucker's natural PB, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, and vinegar together and I'm waiting for it to be done. Pre-SBD, I loved peanut sauce noodles, with broccoli and home-made peanut sauce and since I have been a fan of real whole grains before SBD, I would use whole wheat spaghetti noodles.

Anyway, fabulous recipe and it really inspired today's lunch.
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote