Old 01-03-2010, 07:47 PM   #1  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Default Lentil-walnut Burgers

I made these for dinner tonight. They would be great with cheese but are also good without

http://www.molliekatzen.com/recipes/...walnut_burgers
Quote:
LENTIL-WALNUT BURGERS
Adapted from The Moosewood Cookbook
Preparation time: 35 minutes to prepare, 1 hour to chill, 15 minutes to cook
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Click here for print-friendly version

* Delicious fried or broiled, with or without cheese melted on top.
* These freeze well after they are cooked.
* To save time, sauté the vegetables while the lentils are simmering.

3/4 cup dry lentils (any kind)
1 1/2 cups water
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra for sautéing the patties
1 cup minced onion
4 large cloves garlic, minced
10 large mushrooms, minced
1/2 cup very finely minced walnuts
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 pound spinach, finely minced (optional)
1 teaspoon dry mustard
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/2 cup bread crumbs, wheat germ, or rolled oats

1. Place lentils and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, partially covered, for about 30 minutes, or until the lentils are soft and the liquid is gone. Transfer to a medium-sized bowl, add vinegar, and mash well.
2. Heat the oil in a medium-sized skillet. Add onion and sauté over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients except the bread crumbs, wheat germ, or oats, and sauté 5 to 10 minutes or until all the vegetables are tender. Add the sautéed mixture and bread crumbs, wheat germ, or oats to the lentils and mix well. Chill for about 1 hour before forming patties.
3. Form 4-inch diameter patties. (It might be easiest to do this if you wet your hands.) Heat a small amount of olive oil in a skillet, and sauté the patties on both sides until heated through and crispy. You can also just broil them for about 5 to 8 minutes on each side.
I made them with oats and flax instead of bread crumbs. I also didn't refrigerate first (didn't read the recipe well beforehand ) and they were still good. They are very filling and will make good leftovers.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote