3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Entrees - Phase 1 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/entrees-phase-1-129/)
-   -   Chicken Adobo (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/entrees-phase-1/211535-chicken-adobo.html)

Natasha1534 09-02-2010 12:35 AM

Chicken Adobo

I found the base recipe on allrecipes.com and made a few adjustments to make it SB friendly. If you're on Phase II, it goes great w/ some brown rice and sugar snap peas. YUM!!!

OMFG...I just made Chicken Adobo and it was frigging AWESOME!!! This recipe was tweaked just a little to make it SB friendly (it called for vegetable oil and a whole chicken...I used EVOO and boneless skinless chicken breasts since dark meat is not allowed). Oh, and mine looks a WHOLE lot better than the picture w/ the recipe!!!

This is a Phase I recipe as long as it's served on it's own. If you have it w/ brown rice, of course, it makes it Phase II.

Chicken Adobo

http://images.media-allrecipes.com/s...all/460903.jpg

Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 50 Minutes
Ready In: 1 Hour 10 Minutes
Servings: 6

"This classic adobo recipe is simple to make and famous with all who have tasted it. It has been modified to be a bit more saucy than traditional adobo, it is delicious served over rice."

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into pieces
1 large onion, quartered and sliced
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1/3 cup white vinegar
2/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 bay leaf

Directions:
1. Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken pieces until golden brown on both sides, then remove. Stir in the onion and garlic; cook until they soften and brown, about 6 minutes.
2. Pour in vinegar and soy sauce, and season with garlic powder, black pepper, and bay leaf. Add the browned chicken, increase the heat to high, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the chicken is tender and cooked through, 35 to 40 minutes.

And this is what mine looked like:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1788368_n.jpg

Fat Melanie 09-03-2010 12:13 PM

Yum, that looks good, and it seems easy to make! I have all the ingredients on hand except for bay leaf, which I could easily get. yum!

Natasha1534 09-03-2010 08:29 PM

It was really easy...and I got the bay leaves at Kroger for less than $2. ;)

Natasha1534 09-30-2010 12:22 AM

Making this again tomorrow w/ a side of steamed broccoli and brown rice. YUMMERS!!!

WeighingMeDown 10-28-2010 05:05 PM

Made for dinner on Tuesday. Loved how easy it was but found it a little too salty for my taste - hubs loved it as is - might have to play with it a little as I liked the salty/tangy flavor of the soy/vinegar. We served it over ff refried beans to 'hold' some of the sauce which worked really well.

Thanks for the recipe!

Natasha1534 10-28-2010 05:58 PM

A lot of people said it was overly salty for them. I didn't think it was and I don't eat a lot of salt. *shrugs* Maybe a little bit of Splenda would help cut the salt???

BellaLucia 10-28-2010 06:02 PM

Now that's what is for dinner!

katy trail 10-28-2010 06:07 PM

i thought adobo had peppers in it and was spicy?

Natasha1534 10-28-2010 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katy trail (Post 3542815)
i thought adobo had peppers in it and was spicy?

Traditional adobo has whole pepperCORNS in it...maybe that's what you're thinking of???

WeighingMeDown 11-01-2010 02:36 PM

Adobo actually just means 'sauce' or 'marinade' in Spanish. Adobo refers to stewing in vinegar for Filipino cuisine.
There are so many variations...kind of like BBQ sauce - everyone has their favorite flavors, KWIM?

Maybe you're thinking of the spice called Adobo by Goya? I haven't used it but I think it is heavy on the pepper.

I think if you wanted spicy that some red pepper flakes would work really well with the flavors. We've been eating so many 'spicy' dishes this week (& I feel like I'm on bean overload, lol) that I just went as written but used a heavy hand on the pepper.

I think next time I might just reduce the soy a little or add more chicken. Hubs loves saltier flavors so he wants it again. :)

Schmoodle 02-23-2011 05:40 PM

I made this for dinner tonight and really liked it. I didn't see this recipe and used the one from the 365 crock pot blog, but it's very close. I just used 10 black peppercorns instead of the ground pepper, red wine vinegar, and chopped fresh garlic instead of powdered. I also did it in the crock pot, and in the bottom of the pot I put shredded carrots and cabbage along with the onion. The pickled veggies at the end were really good! Since I used frozen chicken pieces, I didn't brown them, so no oil. I am not a heavy salter, and I didn't find it too salty.

Makaidyn 07-21-2011 05:10 PM

I made this last night and the flavor was really great but just too salty. I am not sure how to get rid of the saltiness? I will experiment with it because it was certainly flavorful

raeboo 08-19-2011 05:02 AM

Mmm, I love adobo :)
My mommy is filipino, so I guess I'll just ask her to cook up a pot tomorrow for dinner :3

SeattleSouthBeach 09-30-2011 01:43 PM

The smell of simmering adobo makes me salivate. It's on the crock pot...except I use more apple cider vinegar than usually called for and extra garlic. Great over quinoa in p2. Tonight, it's by itself in a big briney bowl. Yum!