3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Entrees - Phase 1 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/entrees-phase-1-129/)
-   -   Asian Dumplings with Duck Sauce (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/entrees-phase-1/176897-asian-dumplings-duck-sauce.html)

blondiebear 07-17-2009 01:25 PM

Asian Dumplings with Duck Sauce

This recipe is really easy to change around depending on what you like and don't like in a dumpling.
There are 3 basic parts to the recipe: the filling, the wrapper, and the sauce. If you are on phase 1, the wrapper can be skipped and the filling can be made into meatballs. They taste just as good :)

Filling:
1 lb beef
1 lb turkey or pork (i used pork)
1 large portabello mushroom diced
3 T garlic
1 bunch scallions diced
2/3 c carrot chopped (P2), can substitute cabbage for P1 or just add some in too
3 fingers of ginger grated
2-3 t sesame oil
2T low sodium soy sauce

mince everything and combine with ground meats. combine thoroughly.

Wrappers (phase 2 only):
2 c whole wheat flour
1/2-3/4 c warm water
flour for work surface

measure flour and add water slowly, combine until sticky consistency.
divide into 25-30 segments and roll with rolling pin into circles.

take filling and place about 1T of filling into each wrapper, fold and press edges together. you may need to use just a little bit of water of hold the edges together. place in a pan ith a little oil and let them cook until the oil is gone. add 1/2 c. water (carefully!! it will spatter) and let it cook off completely. serve warm with duck sauce.

if you don't use the dumpling wrappers, form the filling into small meatballs and bake until cooked through. if you want the outsides to be cripy, broil on high for the last few minutes. serve warm with duck sauce.

Duck sauce:
Now this doesn't taste exactly like the duck sauce in those little packets, but it's sweet and when served chilled with the dumplings, is really good!
Duck Sauce
1 jar sugar free apricot jam
2 tablespoons sugar free grape jam
3 garlic cloves
5 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 teaspoon gingerroot, peeled and minced
1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
dashes of crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)

Momofsteel 07-17-2009 06:39 PM

This sounds awesome - I wish I made them already! You could probably have them over spaghetti squash for P1. Thanks for this....

Momofsteel 07-21-2009 08:22 PM

I made these tonight and loved them. So did the family. I ate them as meatballs (P1). You have to watch the wontons in the pan as they burn fast - mine came out a little too brown. I stood back to add the water too!

I used meatloaf mix (veal, pork and beef) b/c that is what my market had but would try them with turkey or soy mix next time.

Instead of duck sauce, I mixed soy sauce, lime juice, some ginger slices, scallion slices and part of a packet of splenda. I have used honey off SB.

I ate my meatballs on top of a bed of spaghetti squash. I would have them in lettuce cups but make the meatballs smaller.

These were great all around and I will consider making and freezing.

blondiebear 08-02-2009 03:39 AM

I bet they would be great for freezing and re-heating later!

Fat Melanie 09-12-2009 05:35 PM

Best recipe ever! I am trying this ASAP!

wonderlin 09-13-2009 03:43 PM

I have a question- would the sauce be ok for P1? With the fruit jams used I wondered if I would need to wait on the sauce until P2.

cottagebythesea 09-13-2009 04:08 PM

Sugar-free jams and jellies are allowed on Phase 1, so the sauce is ok for Phase 1. :)

Natasha1534 09-29-2010 03:46 AM

I'm going to try this sometime soon...I've been missing my dumplings!!!

ValRock 09-29-2010 04:04 AM

Oh thank you!!! This sounds fantastic!

Natasha1534 10-15-2010 04:08 AM

I made these today, minus the ginger, and they were yummy!!! 3 tbsp of garlic sounded like a lot, so I cut it down...I'll remember for next time not to do that b/c I found the meat (I just used 2 pounds of ground turkey) to be under-seasoned. Also, I couldn't find apricot jam to save my life, so I had to use preserves. Although the sauce was a little thick that way, it still worked...and it's very yummy!!! Thanks!!!