Mushroom and Spinach Frittata With Smoked Gouda (vegetarian)

• This would make a great vegetarian dinner with a salad. To reduce the fat in the recipe, follow the ideas in the red, bold brackets.

Quote:
    Mushroom and Spinach Frittata With Smoked Gouda
    From Health magazine

Prep: 5 minutes; Cook: 37 minutes.

2 teaspoons olive oil
    1/3 cup chopped Vidalia onion
    2 cups sliced mushrooms
    4 cups packed baby spinach leaves or torn Swiss chard
    2 large eggs
    4 large egg whites
    1/2 cup shredded smoked Gouda cheese, divided [To lower the fat, you might substitute 1/4 cup of smoked Gouda and 1/4 cup of a low fat cheese, such as cheddar]
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    Cooking spray

1. Preheat oven to 350°.

2. Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring frequently, 4 minutes or until the mushrooms are tender. Add spinach; cover and cook 1 minute or just until spinach is wilted.

3. In a medium bowl, combine eggs, egg whites, 1/4 cup cheese [make this the low fat one], salt, and pepper; mix well. Add spinach mixture; mix well. Pour mixture into an 8-inch round cake pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup cheese [make this the gouda] over frittata. Bake 30 minutes or until eggs are set in center and cheese has melted. Cut into 4 wedges.

Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)

CALORIES 158 ; FAT 10g (sat 4g,mono 4g,poly 1g); CHOLESTEROL 125mg; CALCIUM 155mg; CARBOHYDRATE 6g; SODIUM 339mg; PROTEIN 13g; FIBER 2g; IRON 2mg

Health, MARCH 2007
  • I also found a low fat gouda at Trader joes! This sounds delish!
  • I'm definitely going to hit up TJ tonight in search of low fat gouda.
  • that sounds awesome! I've just been having scrambled eggs with spinach, onions and mushrooms lately and loving it. This is a new twist!

Thanks!