Shepherd's Pie - 5 points or Core

• This recipe has cornstarch in it, which may or may not be Core, but when it's divided among the servings, it's 0 points.

Shepherd's Pie
    Servings: 8

Preparation Time: 5 min
    Cooking Time: 30 min
    Level of Difficulty: Moderate
    Course: main meals

Ingredients
    2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
    2 Tbsp fat-free sour cream
    1 tsp paprika
    1 Tbsp dried parsley
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1 tsp table salt
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    1 medium carrot(s), peeled and chopped
    1 medium onion(s), chopped
    1/2 cup frozen green peas
    1 Tbsp cornstarch
    1 pound raw extra lean ground beef
    1 cup fat-free beef broth
    1/2 cup fat-free chicken broth
    2 pound whole uncooked white potato, peeled and cubed

Instructions
    Boil potatoes in salted water until tender, about 12 minutes. Drain potatoes and pour them into a bowl. Combine sour cream and 1/2 c. chicken broth. Add the cream mixture into potatoes and mash until potatoes are almost smooth.

While potatoes boil, preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add oil to hot pan with beef. Season meat with salt and pepper. Brown and crumble meat for 3 or 4 minutes. Add chopped carrot and onion to the meat. Cook veggies with meat 5 minutes, stirring frequently.

In a second small skillet over medium heat whisk together cornstarch, 1 c. beef broth, and Worcestershire sauce. Thicken gravy 1 minute.

Add gravy to meat and vegetables. Stir in peas. Preheat broiler to high. Fill a small rectangular casserole with meat and vegetable mixture. Spoon potatoes over meat evenly. Top potatoes with paprika and broil 6 to 8 inches from the heat until potatoes are evenly browned. Top casserole dish with chopped parsley and serve.
  • this sounds great I will try it this week except I will use ground turkey. I will let you know
  • Do I understand this correctly? If I split this recipe up between 8 people to use all the servings, would this mean that there would be 0 points per person? If so, sounds like something I may want to have two days only one serving per day and get 0 points each day...hmmmmmmmm
  • I would think it's 5 pts. a piece for flex? or core - nothing.
  • Quote: Do I understand this correctly? If I split this recipe up between 8 people to use all the servings, would this mean that there would be 0 points per person? If so, sounds like something I may want to have two days only one serving per day and get 0 points each day...hmmmmmmmm
    I'm pretty sure she meant the cornstarch (which is NOT core so on the Core program you have to count the points) is 0 points.

If you are on points you would have to count the whole thing. Like javanilla said, works out at about 5 points per serve (still not too bad!)
  • sounds great. I am going to try this one. thanks for the recipe.
  • This sounds good. I will be trying this one soon