Blood type diet - should I run?

• There is a new chiropractic practice which has opened in our building. I dropped in the other day to inquire about massage. I have a chiro now and his massage therapist has relocated. I going in periodically for a good neck and shoulder massage.

Anyway, I digress, they don't have one yet but they were pushing their nutritionist. I wouldn't mind a meeting with a nutritionist but I think I'll check with our insurance company on who they recommend after hearing what these people told me. They base everything on your blood type. I've heard of it before, but haven't heard anything positive about it.

Has anyone tried it? How can my type A and your type A lead to the same diet? I would think it should be based on body type, exercise level and other health issues. I have diverticulitis and a diet of nuts and seeds can send me to the ER.

Just wondering. I think I'll run from that nutritionist.
  • I'd be a bit wary of them if they are pushing their nutritionist on you. A nutritionist can be a good thing but I think the blood type diets have no evidence to back them up. If you want to read webmd's review of the popular "Eat right for your blood type" diet, it is pretty good and basically says there is no scientific evidence but the diet has some sound principles that would lead someone to lose weight although it is a bit restrictive.

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/121/114429.htm
  • Hey,

I would be suspicious of any medical advise (including nutrition) that a Chiropracter tries to sell you. They are not qualified to do anything but what they were educated to do.

Some Chiropracters will offer a blood test, show you the image of your blood on screen and then point out the many things that are wrong with you. They will then proceed to sell you expensive supplements. These methods have been proven to be scientifically unsupported.

I remember hearing about the Blood Type diet several years ago, but didn't do much investigating. A woman I worked with at the time was on it and said she had lost weight, but the diet involved cleaning up her diet. I'm not sure it's eating for your blood type that works but the simple fact that you are eating limited and specific, clean foods.

For more information on what to expect from a Chiropracter and what to watch out for: http://www.quackwatch.org/
  • When I first started eating for my blood type, I gained weight! You can over eat anything ... even good foods. I stick to it pretty well and do think I feel better. But I have no pre-exisiting medical conditions that I'm trying to correct.
    The only reason I'm posting here is because my daughter has IBS and manages very well if she sticks to her "A" foods.
    Chiropractors in the states must be different from the ones here. This is the second one I've been to and they both only ever give pretty basic advice with regard to diet ... sorta like what you'd read in Prevention magazine.
  • Thanks everyone for your responses. SusanB's is just about the only thing I've read that says anything positive about that diet.
  • Ever watch King of Queens? The wife on that show gained quite a bit of weight when she was pregnant and could not lose it for a long time. There were a lot of negative comments made about her. This I found upsetting when you consider how little is said about her overweight husband. Anyway, she lost all the extra weight and looks incredible. She was on tv recently and when asked about how she lost the weight, she mentioned following a blood type diet. She couldn't stop singing praises for the eating plan. I cannot remember the name of the program, but at that time I looked it up. It required you to get a blood test. The blood was sent off to their offices and a food and diet plan was prescribed for you. It worked for her and she wanted to tell everyone she could about it. Sounds positive to me.
  • Quote: Hey,

I would be suspicious of any medical advise (including nutrition) that a Chiropracter tries to sell you. They are not qualified to do anything but what they were educated to do.
    Just FYI, many, if not most, chiropractors receive extensive education in nutrition. Much more than most MDs, who receive almost none.
  • Quote: Just FYI, many, if not most, chiropractors receive extensive education in nutrition. Much more than most MDs, who receive almost none.
    True, but there are also many Chiropractors who attempt to give medical advice about issues they are not qualified to handle. There is also a scam that some Chiropracters do that involve taking a live blood test which has been proven to be inaccurate or unreliable. This is a ploy to make money.

Just like anything else, there are those in their field who are good at what they do and those who are not. (Hence the link to Quackwatch.)

BTW, I never said anything about MDs being knowledgable about nutrition. Doctors are notorious for giving bad nutritional advice to patience.