Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 07:33 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

It seems to me in addition to losing weight you will be losing a lot of money. I have lost weight by calorie counting and it didn't cost me a cent.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:10 AM   #17  

Thyroid pills for those who don't need them can be very dangerous and just because you get thyroid pills doesn't mean you'll magically lose weight. That diet sounds dangerous to me.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:59 AM   #18  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

My mother talked me into a very similar program when I was just out of college with my bachelor's degree. The "weight loss" doctor had an almost holyman reputation in our area. I was prescribed a half dozen pills including an amphetemine diet pill, the pill for "nerves" (basically to mask the "shakes" you get from the amphetemine), the thyroid medication, a water pill (diuretic to make you pee) and I forget what the other two were for. There were also vitamin B-12 shots every month.

I did lose weight, but I was buzzing like a hummingbird. I felt like the whole world was moving in slow motion and I was the only "normal" person. My heart also would race any time I tried to exercise. (Oh, that's right, I think one of the pills were to help me sleep at night - didn't help much). I wasn't on the program very long, because my supervisor called me on my odd behavior. I was working on the mental health and substance abuse floors of a hospital. While I wasn't told that I HAD to quit the diet program (because it was technically doctor sponsored), but I was strongly encouraged to stop because she felt my obvious "excelleration" would appear to be induced by illicit rather than prescription drugs (I tend to talk a mile-a-minute anyway, so the uppers apparently made me incomprehensible).

I really think even the short term use of the thyroid medications screwed up my thyroid, because now even though my thyroid hormone levels are always within normal range, every year I have more and more low thyroid symptoms. Also I test postitive for anti-thyroid antibodies which means there is some type of autoimmune process in the works regarding my thyroid, it just hasn't done enough damage to show up definitively yet (at least that's how one rheumatologist explained it to me).
Closed Thread