Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 09:31 PM   #1  
.:~Lucy~:.

S/C/G: 138/121/110

Default Apple Cider Vinegar?!

Well, I've heard that if you take 1-3 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar before you eat a meal you will lose a bunch of weight because it burns more fat. I know of people that have lost weight off of it but does it stay off? And more importantly, does it really burn fat or just water weight?
Old 06-05-2006, 11:08 PM   #2  
it's always something

Unfortunately, it doesn't work. It's just another diet myth. The only thing that will burn fat is activity. You have to burn more calories than you consume. If anyone loses weight while consuming vinegar, it isn't the vinegar that causes the weight loss (that's physically impossible) but is due to eating fewer calories. I'd probably lose my appetite if I drank vinegar
Old 06-06-2006, 12:53 AM   #3  

Height: 5'8.5"

LOL yah, what Suzanne said. <G> This vinegar "myth" was going around back when I was in college in the late 60s. I actually remember doing it and "tasting" vinegar half the day. Ugh!! If it worked, vinegar would be $100 a quart LOL and we would PAY it
Old 06-06-2006, 08:48 AM   #4  

A bit skewed off topic, but a lady we knew, when I was a kid, suggested rubbing it on your tummy when you are feeling nauseous or if you are vomiting. To this day (30 years after being told this) it's still the first thing I do when I am ill. Now the scientific part of me says there is no way this can work, however I know in my head that it works!

Makes you smell like a pickled onion though!!!
Old 06-06-2006, 09:02 PM   #5  

LOL I think the smell would make me MORE nauseous!! Glad it works for you though.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 175/155/135

i actually read of a study where it was found that drinking vinegar increased feelings of 'fullness' on a reduced calorie diet. Participants were given either white bread or white bread dipped in vinegar..and supposedly those eating the bread with vinegar reported feeling fuller.

HMM..i think they just didn't want to eat anymore gross soggy vinegar bread hah. But who know? Worth a try maybe...
Old 06-07-2006, 12:24 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellakay
HMM..i think they just didn't want to eat anymore gross soggy vinegar bread hah. But who know? Worth a try maybe...
Maybe to some people... not to me it isn't. I can still remember the nasty taste of vinegar "coming up" all day from when I tried this in college.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:37 AM   #8  
Hanging in Texas

I have to add my two cents here. My sons first job was at McD's. Well, he was working the closing shift one night and someone bet him $20 that he wouldn't drink a med cup full of pickle juice. Well, being male (sorry any male readers) he took them up on it, finished it off, got the $20 and then spent the next day on the toilet getting rid of it. I asked him if it was worth the $20 and he said when you're broke, yeah.

I burned way too many candles in there trying to get rid of the smell.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:30 PM   #9  

I tried ACV off and on. The last time was for almost two weeks and I did not notice a significant loss of weight. Maybe 1 or 2 lbs and that is my weekly weight loss average anyway. Also the vinegar doesn't taste bad to me but after awhile my stomach began to burn and ache really bad. I wouldn't recommend it but I have a friend that claims to have lost 19 lbs in two weeks. Yeah right!
Old 06-14-2006, 02:34 AM   #10  

LOL pamintx I LOVE dill pickle juice! I could easily drink a cup of it but I don't any more (did when I was younger) as it is not exactly good for me LOL
Old 06-14-2006, 07:30 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 285~286~185

Call me nuts, but I'm a vinegar girl. I LOVE VINEGAR-- I put it on almost everything. The first thing I do when I'm sick with a cold or sinus issues is take a shot of apple cider vinegar witha clove of garlic at the bottom. Disgusting to taste, but you know-- I usually can't taste by then anyway! I've heard the theory that the molecules in vinegar bonds to the fat in the food and makes it so it can't be absorbed, but honestly, I don't care if it does or doesn't-- I just want the vinegar on my food! I have noticed being more "cleaned out" after using vinegar though-- just like the cup of pickle juice, thats what vinegar does.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:15 AM   #12  

I love vinegar on my food too... but I like balsamic or malt vinegar. But I don't like it in water or just by itself as in taking a spoonful. <G>
Old 07-02-2006, 11:09 PM   #13  

Just searched for a thread on apple cider vinegar and found this.

Actually, it DOES work. You don't just drink the vinegar --- GAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!
You put 1 tablespoon of it in enough water to make 1 cup and drink the cup. (You can put a teaspoon of honey in if you need it to get it down.) You do this 3-6 times a day. You're supposed to use the unpasteurized brands like Bragg's, partly because brands like Heinz's aren't really apple cider vinegar at all, but white vinegar with apple cider vinegar flavoring. (The other reason is that the natural brands have more nutrients, but I don't find that a compelling reason to spend 3x as much on a bottle.)

I totally hate drinking it, but drinking it this way does NOT make it come up on you all day. Maybe the water washes it down.

You can buy apple cider vinegar tablets, too. I'm doing that now, and it **mostly** keeps my appetite under control. With the tablets, you take 2 before each meal.

It may take 2-5 days for the appetite suppressant effect to kick in, and if you miss a dose, you may get the munchies a few days later.

I take the Nature's Bounty brand, which I get at Rite Aid drugstores. I once tried another brand that touted itself as the original one, but it included Vitamin C and some kind of herb, too, and it did absoutely nothing. Maybe I got a bad batch, but I'd stick with tablets that are apple cider vinegar only, with nothing else added.

Problems: A physician once told me that people with congestive heart failure should NOT take these. Also, people whose blood pH is too low (acidosis), as vinegar is an acid and the whole point of it is that it lowers the pH of your blood.

If that's not a problem for you, then you may find other benefits from taking it. Most bacteria can't live in an acidic environment, which means it'll clear up many skin and gum infections, also improve digestion. Oh, and it also helps big time with water retention!

So, as with any other diet pill, this is meant to be used with a sensible diet. But it'll help you to make the right food choices by making you less hungry and ridding you of the cravings.

You can always try this before going on a diet. Just take it for several days, and you may find yourself cutting back spontaneously.

I can't say they work 100% for me, but I'd say they work 80% well, and without them, it'd be much harder to stick to my diet.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:31 AM   #14  

Well LOL I WAS putting it in water but still could taste the stuff all day. it DID "come up all day" for me. NOT worth it and if you are convinced it works go ahead... I am convinced it doesn't. However, I swear by my lemon in hot water so guess we are all different.

But I don't diet... just have a very sensible healthful eating plan and am actually never hungry except just the proper amount so that I really enjoy my meals.

But glad it works for you!
Old 07-04-2006, 06:23 PM   #15  

Quote:
Well LOL I WAS putting it in water but still could taste the stuff all day. it DID "come up all day" for me.
Yuck. I believe you. Most substances affect people differently. I was told it's great when you're having indigestion, but when *I* was having indigestion, it'd come up on me, too. But when I took it in the morning, it would stay down and prevent the indigestion.

Quote:
However, I swear by my lemon in hot water so guess we are all different.
I've been told the lemon is equivalent. I far prefer the taste of lemon, but it just doesn't give me the same effects. Lucky that it works for you!
Closed Thread