Apple Cider Vinegar?

• My newest and last baby is six months old now, and I'm about to try to lose an obscene amount of weight AGAIN, hopefully for the last time. I have gained and lost over 80 lbs with each of my other two, and have been through every diet pill I could get my hands on in the process. The only ones that ever worked for me have been taken off the market. I have a REALLY slow metabolism, hence the 80 lb preg. wieght gain. Has anyone ever supplemented with apple cider vinegar? My mother has used it on and off forever to manage her weight and swears by it, but I always wondered if she would have had a problem anyway without it-she never had excess weight to lose. I don't know if it was the ACV or if she is just one of those lucky few who just doesn't have to worry about it.
  • I don't know about weight loss, but it works great for my acid reflux! I take a capful of it every night just before bed, and I'm able to sleep the night through without waking up choking and sputtering.
    It doesn't seem to be helping with the weight loss, though. I gained 80 pounds with my last baby, too.

Have you ever had your metabolic rate checked? I used to think I was sluggish because of my metabolism, but I had the test done, and to my surprise, I have a high metabolic rate. Learning that has "empowered me" a little, and I work out more often.
    Good luck, hon!
  • We've had a bunch of threads on ACV in the past.

(summary - it doesn't work, it's an old wives' tale).

Apple Cider Vinegar?

How's about the Apple Cider Vinegar Pill

apple cider vinegar (what is it)
  • I know a 83 year old lady that swears by apple cider vinegar. She takes two tablespoons a day and has no health problems and her mind is still sharp. She isn't big nor is she small but if it seems to do good for her. I also heard of a two apple a day diet. You replace two meals with an apple and you lose weight--but that may have more to do with the decrease of calories....
  • This is the first time I have heard of this to lose weight. I use it as a rinse on my hair.
  • Well we were trying it when I was in college back in the 60s! LOL I never knew of anyone who actually thought it was helping a whole lot and the aftertaste is horrid and repeats over and over all day if you get my drift!!
  • I did go to my doctor a few weeks ago, and she did some tests that checked my thyroid function...I don't know if that's the same thing as a metabolic rate test. Everything came back fine. I'll admit dismay at the fact that it wasn't something pharmaceutically correctable and I just need to get off my butt.
  • rebel,

I was going to suggest testing your thyroid. I gained a lot of weight no matter what I was doing and eating. I had mine checked and sure enough, my thyroid is shot pretty much. Now with my medication and doing nothing different I have begun to lose all on my own. Now if I got off my tushie, I am sure it would go down a lot quicker!
  • Same here, Lill! All of a sudden I started gaining weight like crazy and could not lose it. Turned out I had a huge thyroid tumor... I actually gained 100 pounds during the course of the tumor and surgery, etc. But now that my doctor has been testing and I think has my meds adjusted right, I have SO much more energy and am losing weight again! Unlike you I did have to adjust my eating again though, as I had pretty much given up.. and had to get off my tushie LOL...but it is worth it as it is working.

It sure can create problems and is VERY underdiagnosed/undertreated in the US
  • I dont know about weight loss but ACV does have alot of health benefits. The taste is horrid, and makes me wanna spew, so I recommend ACV pills if you really want to take it.