3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Does it Work? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work-11/)
-   -   Cranberry Juice??? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work/77290-cranberry-juice.html)

Misti in Seattle 02-25-2006 07:32 PM

Cranberry Juice???

Some friends of mine are on a plan where you drink 1/2 cup or so of organic straight cranberry juice in a bottle of water several times a day. I was doing it for a while but stopped. Of course I know cranberry juice is good for your bladder, etc... but I am wondering if this is really beneficial in good health and losing weight. Has anyone tried it over an extended period of time and, if so, did you feel it was helpful?

Thanks
Dance

katielab'smom 02-26-2006 01:39 PM

That's a new one on me, I haven't heard of that. I drink 100% cranberry juice, for the bladder benefits, it doen't run my blood sugar up like grape or orange juice, and because I really like it. They are probably losing weight because they are drinking more water.

Terina

Misti in Seattle 02-26-2006 02:47 PM

That could be it. Unfortunately I hate cranberry juice but I was trying it for a while. But I drink lots of water by nature so perhaps I will just skip it. :)

Dance

Ruthxxx 02-26-2006 02:54 PM

Sounds like part of the FAt Flush plan to me. I glug cranberry juice for bladder infections. As far as dieting benefits go, who knows? I think they put things into diet plans just to make them different! Call me cynical. :shrug:

csoar2004 02-26-2006 03:57 PM

Hi Cynical :wave: :lol:

Does 3 years count as "an extended period of time" ? ;) I've been drinking cranwater (diluted cranberry juice: 8oz unsweetened juice to 56 oz water) daily for that long.

Studies show that regular drinking of cranberry juice "may offer protection against certain antibiotic resistant bacteria that cause urinary tract infections" as well as "prevent adhesion of bacteria in the stomach, including the Helicobacter pylori bacterium, which is the spiral bacteria responsible for gastrointestinal diseases, including gastric, duodenal and peptide ulcers as well as gastric cancer."

Other studies indicate that bioflavonoids found in cranberries helps strength connective tissue (which really helps reduce the appearance of cellulite).

Drinking the diluted cranwater throughout the day also:
1) spreads some carbs across the day, so you don't feel so hungry
2) helps keep blood sugar/insulin stable
3) makes sure you're drinking at least 64oz water, daily (additional 48 oz of plain water is good, too)
4) helps increase "good" cholesterol, lowering heart disease risk.

Here's a few study links, if you're interested:
http://www.ndmnutrition.com/Cranberry%20juice%20may
http://www.naturalproductsinsider.co...5h9131712.html
http://nccam.nih.gov/health/cranberry/

**Caveat** folks taking anti-clotting medications such as warfarin are advised to avoid cranberries as they can enhance the effect of the drug.

csoar2004 02-26-2006 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dance4joy
Terina is probably right... it is drinking all that water that caused the weight loss!

I'm sure that it helps! :D However, as an ex-thunder thigh queen, I gotta say it's pretty grand to be cellulite-free for the first time in my adult life! :carrot:

Misti in Seattle 03-01-2006 01:42 AM

Yes... I asked and it is part of the fat flush plan. BUT I think the goal is to cleanse the liver, etc., of toxins, which cranberry juice IS known to do.

Goodbye Chubby 03-01-2006 11:50 AM

I read this on a couple websites, so I don't know how reliable the sources are, but I read that adding cranberry or lemon juice (about 1 or 2 tbsps) can act as a natural diuretic and keep you from retaining water. I don't know how well that works, but adding some lemon juice to my water makes it a little less boring so it's easier to drink more of it; water is always good for you.

Sheri~C 03-01-2006 03:38 PM

cranberry juice is a great source of antioxidents, it also improves good cholesterol and and may lower the risk of heart disease. They can also play a significant role in preventing urinary tract infections and reducing the risk of gum disease, ulcers, and cancer. They are a good source of Vitamin A,C and potassium. You cannot go wrong drinking craberry juice everyday.

I also use the juice of 1/2 a lemon without any artificial sweeteners or refined sugars every morning before breakfast.

The medicinal value of the lemon is as follows: It is an antiseptic, or is an agent that prevents sepsis [the presence of pathogenic bacteria] or putrefaction [decomposition of tissue]. It is also anti-scorbutic, a term meaning a remedy which will prevent disease and assist in cleansing the system of impurities.”

Due to the digestive qualities of lemon juice, symptoms of indigestion such as heartburn, bloating and belching are relieved. By drinking lemon juice regularly, the bowels are aided in eliminating waste more efficiently thus controlling constipation and diarrhea.

It is of course also a good source of vitamin c.

Misti in Seattle 03-01-2006 10:36 PM

Thanks for the great info! I drink a LOT of fresh lemon in hot water; I knew it was good for me but didn't know how or why. Unfortunately I hate cranberry juice.

Dance

MrsJim 03-02-2006 07:43 AM

You guys are reminding me of the time back when I was recovering from surgery...my surgeon recommended that I drink 100% cranberry juice - and not the good old Ocean Spray either, but she SPECIFICALLY recommended Trader Joe's Unsweetened Cranberry Juice (diluted in sparkling water, i.e. seltzer or Pellegrino, that type of thing, to cut the taste).

I could barely drink the stuff even with some Splenda added!

What was funny though was a few weeks later when Jim, in foraging thru the fridge, discovered the half-full bottle of juice, and proceeded to pour himself a fairly generous glass (straight up) and took a huge swig...if I had known beforehand I would have warned him but unfortunately for him I was JUST a few seconds too late! ;) :rofl: I thought he was going to spit the entire mouthful up...his face just went all scrunchy...

However, we found out that mixing it with some diet 7Up helped the taste....

Misti in Seattle 03-02-2006 07:51 AM

LOL Mrs. Jim... my memories of cranberry juice are similar. When I had a bad kidney infection they told me to drink it or I was close to being in the emergency room. So I bought a gallon or two of the stuff and to chug it every hour or so... and I HATE the stuff. LOL I would have a glass of water handy, get my cranberry juice, hold my nose and chug it down and immediately have a water chaser! GAG!!

But I did try the cranberry juice (all natural) in water for a while when I was doing that part of the fat flush plan. Didn't stick with it very long though.

Dance

suechef 03-02-2006 02:04 PM

You can get cranberry pills now, for those who don't like the taste (and spending the calories on something you don't like to begin with).

cheers,
Sue

GreatBigMonsterMomma 03-02-2006 07:23 PM

My hubby was doing Fat Flush for about three days (he sticks to diets about like I do :lol: ), was actually able to keep up with the cran water a lot longer, and really did seem to get rid of a great deal of water weight. It doesn't claim to be anything more than something to ensure you don't retain water. :) I've personally always liked cranberry juice, but the idea of it thinned down so much isn't at all appealing to me.

I don't think it's a weight-loss miracle, but I doubt it's gonna harm anything either.

csoar2004 03-03-2006 01:13 AM

There ARE no magic pills or weightloss "miracles" - anybody who says otherwise is selling something. ;)