Fish Oil is it worth the purchase

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I was wondering if anyone knew if buying fish oil supplements was worth the benefit. I did buy some at wal-mart to try out and got some made by spring valley. Is there anything I should watch for when taking them, and are they any good.
  • For weight loss or just for general health?

You might want to check out this recent thread on the topic.

Omega 3 Fish Oils...?
  • For general health I think they're definitely worth it (esp. if you're not on a high omega-3 diet--nuts, fish, flax, canola oil)--they help improve your cardiovascular system, boost moods & soothe dry/distressed skin (incl. psoriasis & eczema.)

However, I do not think they are beneficial for weight/fat loss specifically.

Omega 3 supplements also carry some risks, such as prolonged bleeding time. So if you're any anticoagulant therapy (including aspirin,) be sure to check with doc (and as a rule, keep your doc informed of all supplements you're taking so as to avoid drug-nutrient-herb interactions)

Another risk is that with lower quality brand there's the possibility of mercury, PCB and other toxins metals not being filter out. Consider buying a brand from this list by independent tester ConsumerLab (http://www.consumerlab.com/results/omega3.asp), all of which tested safe for PCB/mercury levels (and some are further tested to be safe for dioxins) -- and a lot of these are affordable, run-of-the-mill brands.
  • I wanted them just for general health. I hear they help in many ways and wanted the benefits. I was not told by a doctor to take them and I don't have cholesterol issues. I am worried about the mercury though. I think I am gonna stick to one gram if I got to take a tylenol or cut myself or, like just happened two days ago, I bang my little toe and it is obvious a vessel popped as I am bruised. It is healing and hurting less after 2 days but it looks like it might take another 3 days to fully heal, probably take more though. Once I'm fine I might up it to at most 2 gms a day unless anyone can advise me is that would be too much. When I went to wal-mart the guy said he takes 4 tablets of 1000 mg a day and I thought, WOW. I was right. This is more than the bottle suggest, which he said it was also, 3 a day. Any one got a response?
  • The one thing you might want to be prepared for is, how to put this polietly...well, burping the taste of the fish oil a couple hours after taking them. Keep some breaths mints on hand, just in case
  • I only took one this morning and I did notice the brubs that had a, I guess it would be, after burb taste or odor of fish. I will continue with this bottle but switch if something else is avaliable later.
  • My experience with fish oil supplements is that they seemed to make my skin softer, beyond that, it's hard to say.
  • Quote: When I went to wal-mart the guy said he takes 4 tablets of 1000 mg a day and I thought, WOW. I was right. This is more than the bottle suggest, which he said it was also, 3 a day. Any one got a response?
    I take 3 grams per day. It's my understanding that anymore than that can be dangerous. Fish oil thins the blood and if you take too much, it increases risk of hemorrhagic stroke.

The American Heart Association recommends 1 gram daily for most people, preferably from eating fish. I take 3 grams because I have heart disease. Btw, it thins my blood so much that I have to stop taking it before I get my teeth worked on. You should let your doctor know if you are taking them, especially if you should have surgery or other invasive procedure.

I take Natrol brand purified fish oil.
  • I totally believe in the benefits of fish-oil! The problem is that I cannot stand the Fish Burps!!! Is there something that doesn't have this effect. I hate fish and that's partially why I want to take this product. I took it once, about a month ago and cannot get myself to take it again!
  • Costco sells an enteric-coated fish oil (the kind I get) -- it doesn't start to dissolve until it's in your intestines so no more fish burps! (They do this for garlic supplements too)

EDIT: I also believe that the Nature Made brand sells an odorless kind.
  • Suzanne, re amount to take, there is also some factor of inflammation that arises when intake of omega 3 and omega 6 are out of balance, I've recently read in a number of venues. This seems to be a fairly new area and I frankly don't have the expertise to even discuss it ... was just throwing it out in case you have some info on this ... inflammation being now identified as a culprit in many disease processes. Just thought I'd mention it ...
  • Try flax oil (also called linseed oil) over your oatmeal, in a smoothie or on a salad. It is a great source of Omega-3 and has a slight nutty flavor. I haven't had any social side effects! I have read that hemp seed oil is a good source of Omega-6 but I haven't tried it yet.
  • My doctor just gave me a paper saying the fish oil capsules lower triglycerides.
  • Does anyone know of anywhere else to find specially coated fish oil capsules? I've heard of this before reading it here, but haven't noticed any on the shelves (I'm going to do an internet search fright now). I'm not so concerned about the "fish burp" afterwards as the heartburn I experience after taking the pills.
  • Carlson Fish Oils
    I was recently told by my MD that I should look up Carlson's lemon-flavored fish oil for the Omega-3s, to help with heart health & mild depression.

Here is a page I came across, though if you Google vitamin sites, I bet you can find this cheaper

http://www.carlsonlabs.com/product_d...a&categid=0014

Carlson's is a top brand according to my doc anyway, with no pollutants, and it comes in regular, lemon and orange flavor. Apparently, with the citrus flavors, there are NO fish burps to haunt you later Awesome, since that is what made me stop taking fish oil in the past!

You can get it straight up to put on salads, or take from a spoon, or in capsules for wusses like me.

They also have PDFs on their site on Super Omega-3s, and Fish Oil in general health's benefits.

Note: I don't work for Carlson's or own Carlson's stock... and I'm not Norwegian.