Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 04:51 PM   #1  

Default Slimquick...

Have any of you ladies tried these supplements? I have seen several advertisements in a lot of fitness magazines lately. It's suppose to be a fat burner made for women. I was seriously thinking about trying them, but I have never been on any weight loss pills before. So, I am still pondering the idea. I only want to lose 15 maybe 20 pounds...what do you all think?
Old 05-27-2005, 05:14 PM   #2  
it's always something

In a nutshell - save your money. If these products really worked, we wouldn't have an obesity problem in America. Slimquick isn't any different from the other diet pills on the market. I checked the ingredient list on their website, and it contains a lot of caffiene sources (yerba mate, cocoa, etc). Plus, it comes with a diet and exercise booklet that you have to follow to get results. It's the diet and exercise that does the trick. I'd suggest buying a good diet book or join in one of our forums for healthy eating tips.

Oh, and never trust the ads in the magazines or on TV. They are very carefully written by skilled marketers with the sole purpose of selling a product. I know, I'm very cynical But after all these years, I've yet to see one diet pill that was any different, unless it was a prescription product.

Good luck
Old 05-27-2005, 05:57 PM   #3  

Thanks Suzanne for such a "to-the-point" response! That's exactly what I needed to hear! Besides, I know tooo many other ways I can spend $50! I also know that my MAJOR problem is my eating habits. I don't each much, but it's just the silly things I do eat that's causing the problems. However, I do plan to get more active with the forums. I am sure I can great tips and support here! Thanks again!
Old 08-09-2005, 04:11 PM   #4  

My mom was wondering about these and I did some research and I got say they look bad. Beyond some vit and min. that are good for women these can be found some where else and for a cheaper price. I know my mom is taking lean sys 7 and dieting and exercising and she is losing weight. With her new changes she now reads more health news info and has read the mags. and I tell her don't believe the ads for these pills. Some are okay in working but most are crap. she even asked about relacore which is worse than the slimquick.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:30 PM   #5  

if you want to stay on the diet rollercoaster. it will probably work most of the pills and fad do work for a short term. If you really care about your health you might want to think twice before you ingest this garbage,I mean diet pills. Wishing you good health
and I hope you do what is right for you
Old 11-03-2005, 03:43 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 212/see ticker/155

Height: 66"

Red face Personal experience with Slimquick

OK, I am new at this and will try to be somewhat brief. I thought I had sworn off diet pills for good a few years back, but had a moment of weakness and desperation and chose to try one more. My first mistake was not to consult with my doctor.....and I know there are alot of others out there who do the same. You see, I am at 5'6" 212 lbs, considered clinically obese with health problems. It was the last 20 or so pounds that the health problems started. (ie high blood pressure and arthritus) I am on medication for both. The first 2 or 3 days I lost about 5 lbs (I'm guessing mostly water weight) Then on about the 6th day or so my blood pressure shot up. And folks, high blood pressure/hypertension is not a silent killer. I can definately tell when my pressure is up with head ache, flushness, and other symptoms. Needless to say, I stopped immediately and that was 4 days ago. My pressure is just now getting back on track. And yes, I am seeing my doctor tomorrow.

As far as losing weight.......I feel that there is only one true and permanent way, and thats changing your lifestyle. Eat smarter and move more. We as a society have grown too accustomed to "man-made" foods, fast foods, convient foods, etc and we spend way too much time on our computers and in front of the tv.

If you feel compelled to try a diet pill, then please, please, please do it under doctor supervision.

Well enough of my soap box. I have about 60 lbs to lose.........and not because I want to wear a bikini, but because I want to see my kids have kids and be healthy and feel good. I originally joined 3fatchicks (today), because I felt the need to share my experience with Slimquick. But after reading and perusing the site, I have decided that this is a really awesome support tool.

Wish me luck.

Last edited by beth1167; 11-11-2005 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:25 PM   #7  
Uber-Moderator!!

Beth...

As a point of reference, here are the ingredients of this supplement - note this is the amount in two capsules (1 serving)

Nutratherm Thermogenic Complex: 575mg In the OTC scammy fly by night diet pill industry, "Thermogenic" these days means "we threw in a lot of caffeine, hidden under different names". Of course, those with high blood pressure etc shouldn't be taking this stuff.

Micronized Green Tea Leaf Extract there are probably a bazillion threads and posts here at 3FC discussing Green Tea since it's in pretty much every diet pill out there - although probably most of it's 'effectiveness' comes from the caffeine...

Caffeine
Cocoa bean extract - I gave up trying to find a link that wasn't selling this as an ingredient in a diet pill - it even turns up in those "Caffeine Free" diet pills even though Cocoa Bean Extract is pretty high in...you guessed it - caffeine!

Yerba mate extract basically another source of caffiene so users feel that they have a ton of energy, therefore the pills 'work'

Clary Sage extract Purdue University says that this is used as a natural seasoning/flavoring and essential oil/plant extract. There are some medicinal purposes listed, but weight loss ain't one of 'em.

Estrotrim Hormone Balancing Complex: 55mg

Soy isoflavones if you want to include soy in your diet - you're probably better off (as far as effectiveness and costwise) including soy in your diet, drinking soymilk or using soy-based protein shakes

Vitex agnus-castus Proven effective on PMS and menstrual - menopausal symptoms - but weight loss???

Cortifem: 50mg apparently this is the marketer's name for the ingredients that are supposed to relieve stress - although as you'll see, there isn't enough in a dose (2 capsules) to make any difference

Beta-sisosterol Hmm good for enlarged prostate - I don't think most of the women taking this have a problem with BPH also note the recommended dosage - 60-100 mg a day

Phophatidylserine note the recommendations - not for weight loss - and the recommended dosage is 500-1000 mg - all FOUR of the "Cortifem" ingredients are a TOTAL of 50 mg!!

Rhodiola Rosea root extract note that there is no proof supplied that this is a weight-loss aid - also that the recommended dose is 100+ mg - much much less than what is in this overhyped crapola

Theanine

Aquaplex Water Removal Complex 40mg in other words, their fancy name for the diuretics in this crap - this is one of the reasons that people think this stuff 'works' because the first week they lose water weight - combined with the speedy factor from the caffiene ingredients, which is misconstrued as 'energy'. Of course this is only for the first week or two...

Dandelion leaf and root - diuretic.

Horse tail - diuretic.

Uva Ursi extract from the link: "The addition of uva ursi to a diet tea appears to have little or no value. At best it may contribute to a small diuretic effect. Even so, losing body water is generally not the goal for those seeking weight loss. There is no evidence, scientific or anecdotal, that uva ursi helps reduce body fat."

French maritime pine extract

Cellulose ethers Check the link out - "additives in such diverse industries as food, paint, oil recovery, paper, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, adhesives, printing, agriculture, ceramics, textiles, detergents and building materials"

Piper nigum this is just your basic black pepper...gotta love the little trick these marketers have taken up lately by using the Latin/scientific names of the ingredients...I mean how impressed would you be by seeing "black pepper" listed??

Other Ingredients:
Gelatin, magnesium stearate.

Like every other diet nostrum on the market there is nothing new here - they've just given some nice new names to the same old crapola. As Suzanne said, it's mostly a caffiene/stimulant pill.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:00 AM   #8  
Empress/Queen

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth1167
OK, I am new at this and will try to be somewhat brief. I thought I had sworn off diet pills for good a few years back, but had a moment of weakness and desperation and chose to try one more. My first mistake was not to consult with my doctor.....and I know there are alot of others out there who do the same. You see, I am at 5'6" 212 lbs, considered clinically obese with health problems. It was the last 20 or so pounds that the health problems started. (ie high blood pressure and arthritus) I am on medication for both. The first 2 or 3 days I lost about 5 lbs (I'm guessing mostly water weight) Then on about the 6th day or so my blood pressure shot up. And folks, high blood pressure/hypertension is not a silent killer. I can definately tell when my pressure is up with head ache, flushness, and other symptoms. Needless to say, I stopped immediately and that was 4 days ago. My pressure is just now getting back on track. And yes, I am seeing my doctor tomorrow.

As far as losing weight.......I feel that there is only one true and permanent way, and thats changing your lifestyle. Eat smarter and move more. We as a society have grown too accustomed to "man-made" foods, fast foods, convient foods, etc and we spend way too much time on our computers and in front of the tv.

If you feel compelled to try a diet pill, then please, please, please do it under doctor supervision.

Well enough of my soap box. I have about 60 lbs to lose.........and not because I want to wear a bikini, but because I want to see my kids have kids and be healthy and feel good. I originally joined 3fatchicks (today), because I felt the need to share my experience with Slimquick. But after reading and perusing the site, I have decided that this is a really awesome support tool.

Wish me luck.
Thanks for sharing your experience re this supplement, Beth. It underscores, in my opinion, a dangerous trend that doesn't seem to die: shelves in every drug and grocery store full of these unregulated diet pills that have who-knows-what effect on people's bodies, people who may have hidden or known health problems that ingredients in the "pills" might worsen, causing illness or even death.

Does anybody remember ephedra?

How many people have to die before a supplement is recognized as unsafe/

Taking meds under a doctor's supervision is, in my opinion, the only way to go.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:11 AM   #9  

I've decided to try the Slimquick, but does anyone think it might still work if I did my own diet and exercise plan?
Old 03-03-2006, 12:51 PM   #10  

Default SlimQuick

I'm thinking about trying SlimQuick. Has anyone tried it and do you know if it works>
Old 03-03-2006, 11:05 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 154/148/125

Hi harrise
I've been on SlimQuick for about 2 weeks now. I just bought my 2nd bottle. I've lost 5lbs already. I probably would have lost more, but I have a house full of sick people and I've been lucky not to have caught it until now. I caught the stomach flu and a cold. My advise is drink plently of water, exercise and make sure you take Vitamen C. lol. I have noticed my energy levels are up. I use to do the cat naps at work. But now I'm wide awake.
If you try it let, please let me know how it works for you.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:44 PM   #12  

Thumbs up SlimQuick

Hi! I just joined today, but I've visited here a few times before. Anywho, I just wanted to share my experience with SlimQuick. I've been taking them for 1 week and so far I've lost 6 lbs. But in addition to taking SlimQuick, I've also changed my eating habits( it does suppress your apetite) and I walk a 1 1/2 miles three times a week. And if you go to Walmart they're only about 20.00 bucks. There are some drawbacks though, if you tend to get nausua easily, do not take this. The hardest for me is in the morning. I just want to fit into my jeans again and I needed some help. So far, so good.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:50 PM   #13  
Carrie

S/C/G: 196/174.2/150

Height: 5' 8"

I have told myself over and over, never again would I buy a diet pill. They never work. Well....today I was in Walmart and after over a year of no diet pills I broke down and bought SlimQuick. I am going to start them tomorrow and I will keep you posted on how it goes.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:35 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 136/136/120

I am also new to this forum having visited it many times. I am always drawn into the diet pill trap even though I know deep in my heart that there is no magic pill. I would love to hear results on people on Slimquick.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:58 PM   #15  

Same old story again and again...do you people never learn? I'd be very exasperated if I was one of the patient ladies on this forum that explains over and over again the dangers and ineffectiveness of these unregulated drugs just to have those explanations fall on deaf ears.
Closed Thread