3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Does it Work? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work-11/)
-   -   Dr Bernstein (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work/74407-dr-bernstein.html)

amy99 01-27-2006 05:37 PM

Dr Bernstein

My mother is an obese woman and has tried a lot of the popular diets over the years and none of them worked then she found out about Dr.Bernsteins clinics. She weighed 400 pounds when she started about two years ago and has now lost 150 pounds and is a new woman. She gained some weight at Christmas this year and had to sign a contract that she would lose 2 pounds a week. She is now able to travel and that is what she did when she went to Mexico last week. She gained about ten pounds while she was away (as you do at an all inclusive resort) and when she returned to the clinic only to promptly get KICKED OUT by Dr.Bernstein himself because of the weight gain. She is devastated, and I am afraid for her future. She has paid ALOT of money over two years and had been very successful up to now. I just don’t understand how they could do this to my mom, it seems as though he cares more about his reputation then he does about the people in his program. This program DOES work but if this is the way they treat their patients I would not recommend it to anyone.
If anyone has had similar experiences with Dr. B or knows someone who has I would love to hear about them …I doubt my moms the only one … she is a kind good hearted person and any support would be appreciated
Thank you

jas80 01-27-2006 06:19 PM

wow, that's rather sad that they'd kick somebody out. just goes to show you who they're really looking out for. shameful :nono:

Amarantha2 01-27-2006 06:53 PM

There are a lot of opinions, info, etc., on the web about Dr. Bernstein, positive and negative. You might want to search for people who have had a similar experience to your mom's.

Since coping with regain is an integral weight management skill for people who lose large amounts of weight, it does seem to me that the way your mom was treated seems to show an attitude of not really caring about lifetime change. To humiliate someone like that after they'd been a fee-paying success story for two years really borders on abandonment. She deserves an apology.

MrsJim 01-29-2006 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amy99
My mother is an obese woman and has tried a lot of the popular diets over the years and none of them worked then she found out about Dr.Bernsteins clinics. She weighed 400 pounds when she started about two years ago and has now lost 150 pounds and is a new woman. She gained some weight at Christmas this year and had to sign a contract that she would lose 2 pounds a week. She is now able to travel and that is what she did when she went to Mexico last week. She gained about ten pounds while she was away (as you do at an all inclusive resort) and when she returned to the clinic only to promptly get KICKED OUT by Dr.Bernstein himself because of the weight gain. She is devastated, and I am afraid for her future. She has paid ALOT of money over two years and had been very successful up to now. I just don’t understand how they could do this to my mom, it seems as though he cares more about his reputation then he does about the people in his program. This program DOES work but if this is the way they treat their patients I would not recommend it to anyone.
If anyone has had similar experiences with Dr. B or knows someone who has I would love to hear about them …I doubt my moms the only one … she is a kind good hearted person and any support would be appreciated
Thank you

I'd be interested in seeing what her contract stated. She paid his clinic money for a service - yes? Did she get a refund or was he able to kick her out without giving her a partial refund for services paid for but not rendered?

Checking Google, Dr. Bernstein appears to be in Canada, but from reading the article below, his business sounds similar to some 'weight loss doctor clinics' that we have in my area - including the really low calorie diet (less than 1000 calories/day), the vitamin injections, and pushing other products.

If she was on a diet with the calories that low - no wonder she lost weight - but also no surprise that she gained weight when she went on vacation - especially if the Bernstein diet doesn't encourage exercise as part of their program...

The Bernstein Diet: How much weight should you give celebrity endorsements?

AquaWarlock 01-31-2006 12:05 PM

That sounds like an awful program, amy! Perhaps your mom can join a more supportive program such as weight watchers?

Hey Jude 02-11-2006 08:08 PM

A friend of mine lost a lot of weight successfully on Dr. B., but as soon as he strayed from it she gained quite a bit back. It is extremely low calorie, and she did not exercise at all. It is also very expensive.

I feel badly for your Mom. She must feel like she has been kicked in the teeth. Try to get her to see the positive. Everything happens for a reason. Try to get her to join Weight Watchers to learn some lifestyle coping techniques. The people at Weight Watchers will not turn their backs on her for a holiday weight gain. As a matter of fact, they might be able to help her get through a vacation and maintain, or only a small gain.

From what I could tell from my friend, Dr. B. does little to teach those things. And IMHO, it is not a healthy eating plan. As I told her once, no one ever got fat from eating carrotts.

Sweater Girl 02-11-2006 09:41 PM

Not only is Dr. B super expensive (from what I have heard it costs at least a few hundred $$$s a month), he also pushes his wife's skin products and says that certain products (like noxema) can hinder WL (this from a coworker who was on Bernstien).

Now that being said, people on Bernstien shrink fast, but many lose a lot of muscle tone as well. I personally just don't know how safe it is really... I don't think exercise is particularly pushed either.

Cheers!

Ali

srmb60 02-11-2006 10:01 PM

I use noxema. Have for years. But I've always smeared it on my face and washed it off ... I suppose if you ate it ... naw, that can't be what he meant.

I think the trick with some of these places is their statistics. our members always maintain their weigh loss ... yup cuz if they don't we kick them out ... Then of course they have perfect statistics again. Right?

Sweater Girl 02-11-2006 11:20 PM

Susan: My bad, I remember now, my friend said "Oil Of Olay Soap". Regardless, I have used many types of beauty/soap products while losing weight and never thought any product hindered my WL... You're right about the statistics thing.. It's sad though since the original poster's mom has probably spent thousands on the program and yet is getting no respect.

Ali

srmb60 02-12-2006 05:42 AM

Well, Ali stranger! How are you doing?

Super glue lip balm is about the only cosmetic product I can think of ...... :)

Sweater Girl 02-12-2006 08:36 AM

Susan: I am doing well, halfway through my pregnancy now, and yourself?