Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 06:30 PM   #1  

Default A new one on me...

I picked up a "For Women First" magaizne that has an article on somehing called the "Rice Diet." They feature before and after picutres of owmen who have gone from morbidly obese to simpley overweight, but the odd thing is (odd to someone who has been on and off South Beach) is that this diet is high carb. Day one (and the first day of each dieting week) is nothign but whole grains and fruits. Then you get to add dairy and veggies during the first week and one serving of protein per week each week thereafter.
There are promises of massive weight loss the first week, but I think any time you cut out whole food groups it's not a good thing.
Apparently it's mostly done in a clinical setting in durham NC for a $4,800 fee (YIKES!)
They have a website, easily found by using your favorite search engine, but they don't give you much info if you wanted to do this on your own. It seems more like they want you to open your wallet and come to NC, or at least buy their CD's and books.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:39 PM   #2  
Meg

I wonder if it was an older issue you picked up? Or different mag, same diet? We had a thread a few months ago that might be talking about the same diet plan ... Rice Diet as seen in Woman's World magazine? A lot of the posters were as skeptical as you are.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:56 PM   #3  

Meg,
Different mag, same diet.

Yeah, protein only once a week seems a little wierd to me. Granted, we in western culture probably eat too much protein (especially fatty meats).

I've become a big believer in upping the veggies - aiming for 9 servings of produce every day.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:32 PM   #4  
Mel

Duke University has been running a diet clinic since the 80's. They started the rice diet. I don't think that it is affiliated with them anymore, but the center is still located in Raleigh, NC. It works like any other "diet"- caloric restriction. If you eat less than your body uses, you will lose weight. You can eat tootsie rolls and coffee and lose weight, but it's not very healthy! And you certainly won't look very good.

Mel
Old 05-22-2006, 08:15 AM   #5  
Margaret1975

S/C/G: 155/151/135

I'd be skeptical of any diet that is so restrictive. The key to maintaining weight loss is to continue to eat in a healthy manner. With these restrictive diets, you'll just gain the weight back once you go off the diet and that's assuming that you don't toss the diet into the trash can within the first week due to it's excessive restrictions.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:17 PM   #6  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

I dont really believe in any "diet" but carbs dont make you gain weight. Its calories in v/s calories out.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:46 PM   #7  

Ladies:
They have beans listed in the starches, I think that is where you are getting the protein from. Not all people eat meat as a protein.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:13 PM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Legumes (beans included) are an incomplete protein (as opposed to meat which is a complete protein). Other sources of protein need to be supplemented if you eat legumes as protein but don't eat meat. Anyway, from the sample diet plan, it looked like legumes were eaten on the protein day.
Closed Thread