3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Does it Work? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work-11/)
-   -   6 Week Total Body Makeover (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work/65236-6-week-total-body-makeover.html)

fuller 09-15-2005 11:39 AM

6 Week Total Body Makeover

I saw the infomercial for Michael Thurmond's 6 week Total Body Makeover today and wondered if anyone had tried it. Does it really work?

sag123 09-15-2005 12:05 PM

Someone at work said their husband did it and he lost 40 lbs in 6 weeks. I bought the kit, but it is very strict on what you can eat. mostly TUna for breakfast or snacks and lots of chicken. You do feel full, but I couldn't do it. I only lasted a few days.

MrsJim 09-15-2005 12:28 PM

Well, personally, I think the kit is a ripoff from what I've seen and heard.

Since the portions are so tiny and the food list is so limited (most everyone I've heard of who bought the kit and did the quiz to determine their 'body type' ended up on the most restrictive food plan) you are bound to lose weight if you stay on it - but the issue I have with it is that this strikes me as more of a 'crash diet' - in other words - go ****-bent-for-leather and lose as much weight as humanly possible in 6 weeks - but does not really seem to address the lifestyle change aspect.

You would be better served, IMO, by saving your money and buying one of the EXCELLENT weight loss/fitness books out there - such as Body for Life for Women by Pamela Peeke (there are quite a few others - you might want to go to the library and 'read before you buy' to separate the wheat from the chaff!). Resistance/body sculpting bands are very inexpensive - you don't need to pay $120 plus shipping for some kit - Bodytrends.com has them for $7.50-$11.50 (depending on resistance level).

And of course, you have 3FC right here at your fingertips for support and info. ;)

Wanted to add a CAVEAT - I know the marketer of this kit offers a "money back guarantee, no questions asked" for people who complete the six weeks and don't get the results they want. Be advised that the 'six week clock' starts ticking the day the kit arrives at your house - not whenever you actually start the plan...I've seen a lot of people end up $120-200 poorer because they didn't realize that :(

Yellowsub 09-20-2005 02:56 AM

Hello
What do you think of the Perricone 3 day diet?
Kind regards
Yellowsub

lizziness 09-21-2005 11:59 PM

I did the 6 week body makeover and so did my husband, for about a month. It worked well for him, he dropped about 35 - 40 lbs within like the first 3 weeks. The food is too restrictive, i just think 1/8 of a can of tuna on one lettuce leaf is not a meal in any way. I was so weak once that I almost passed out at work. And you can forget about excercse, first off there really isn't much of an exercise program, but even if there was - you'd be to damn weak to do it. We returned it for a refund. It works well to drop a lot of weight fast though.
I think if you were just barely overweight by like 15-20 lbs it would be tolerable. I think it's meant more for the "i wanna fit in my wedding dress" kinda situations. By no means is it a permanent lifestyle adjustment or in anyway something you can continue to use beyond the allotted time - if you even make it that far.

jlou85 09-27-2005 03:54 PM

I just started the 6 Week Body makeover, and so far i feel great! REALLY! It's only my second day, but so far I'm never hungry, or low on energy. I'm a full time student and employee and I still have time to cook and try new things. It's really not restrictive, just get creative with it. I'm loving it and I am a terrible sugar addict! I'm not denying myself anything that's good for me, just the bad things that I shouldn't have been eating in the first place. I have 70lbs to lose and would appreciate any support. I don't know ANYONE who is even trying to eat healthy so I'm going to need lots of advice. Thanx for your time everyone!

Darl2541 09-27-2005 04:32 PM

Well, I just sent my 6 wk makeover back. Not that it didn't work, it did. But, like any restrictive diet, you will lose weight. In a nutshell, is like the comments above, but in addition, you have no sugar and no salt. You combine foods, so like protein and fruit for morning and low-carb and protein for noon, pm snack and evening meal. Oh, and 96 oz. of water a day. You have flushed your system of your toxins. I've tried all the diets too. So, what I did was tweaked it between the 6 wk makover diet and my core plan on WW. After a year of trying this and that, I have lost 8 of the stubborn 15 I want to lose. What have I learned? Excess of one type of food and not enough of another doesn't work. Really, I feel it comes down to eating a healthy "basic four" plan in appropriate amounts is the only way to go. I just got so tired of spending money on books, diet plans and exercise equip. I found what worked for me. I know it's hard to hear do what works for you, but, find a basic plan and keep tweaking it. Best of luck

MrsJim 09-27-2005 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darl2541
Well, I just sent my 6 wk makeover back.

You *did* ship it back with a delivery verification/tracking number...yes?

Make sure you KEEP that information, also keep an eye on your credit/debit card statements to make sure that Provida credits your account after the shipper delivers the item back to them. If 3 weeks go by after the shipment is received by Provida and you haven't received a credit on your account, then it's time to kick it up a notch, contact your bank and start chargeback proceedings...just FYI... ;)

Rizeninme 10-24-2005 01:35 AM

Don't waste your money!

Ok. I admit it. I bought the kit. I watched the infomercials at 3:00 am. What doesn't sound good at 3:00 am?

Anyway- the exercise plan is pretty much standard- nothing new- the kit includes basic exercise bands- nothing you can't buy at Wal-Mart.

The only cool thing is that they have this body chart- kind of hard to explain, but you pick out the sections that match your body, and when you flip them over, you see what you "might" look like after the program.

The diet- well, it's basically a calorie restricted salt, fat and sugar free diet. ANYONE can lose weight when they restrict their calories and cut out all salt, fat and sugar. Unfortunately, it's unhealthy and unrealistic.

So, I did the diet for about a week, HATED IT, lost a few pounds of water from not having any sodium, and gained it right back when I went back to eating normally.

I sold the entire kit for $20 at my last garage sale. Lesson learned. Do not watch those infomercials with your credit card handy at 3:00 am!

aphrodite-34 10-27-2005 01:54 PM

Love It

I have been on the 6 week body makeover I lost 55 lbs all together and with the living lean plan they have its easy to keep it off. I have learned to cook so much healthy stuff that is so wonderful that my hubby and kids are always sneaking food off my plate.. I have tried so many diets and all I gotta say is this "change in eating styles" has changed my life for the better. I think it is a GREAT GREAT plan, there are so many varietys of ways to cook the foods that I never get tired of the food. Ok, I am sorry if I sound like the commercial but I am serious, I think this is one of the best diets I have ever been on, it really changed my life. :carrot:

Oh yeah I wanted to note, I took this diet to the doctor for his approval because I have low blood sugar and he said it's a better diet than the one he gives for people who needs to lose weight. He gave his thumbs up.

CPAHughes 12-01-2005 01:22 PM

What to do

I have seen this package on TV and was wondering if you really need the whole kit to follow the program? I have tons of exercise stuff already and don't want to buy this huge pack of stuff just to get the food listing, menu, etc. I have already determined I am a type B. Does anyone have any suggestions?

christineu 12-02-2005 02:35 PM

Does anyone else find it interesting that the only two posters who say it worked have only posted 1 time- in this thread? Makes me wonder.....

MrsJim 12-02-2005 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christineu
Does anyone else find it interesting that the only two posters who say it worked have only posted 1 time- in this thread? Makes me wonder.....

Get used to it...happens all the time... :rolleyes:

MrsJim 12-02-2005 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CPAHughes
I have seen this package on TV and was wondering if you really need the whole kit to follow the program? I have tons of exercise stuff already and don't want to buy this huge pack of stuff just to get the food listing, menu, etc. I have already determined I am a type B. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Well, like I said...there's no mystery or secret here, just a bunch of gimmicks hooked onto a Hollywood Celebrity Trainer's Big Name. Just because a bazillion people have bought it and a website has some fishy (and/or faux) 'endorsements' from people with only a first name and last initial, and most importantly the marketing that is very very scientifically done by experts who know EXACTLY what to say to push people's buttons...heck they can even order a MONEY BACK GUARANTEE :carrot: without going into the caveats...like for instance you have six weeks from the day the package arrives on your doorstep otherwise you're SOL as far as a refund goes (for them anyway...Since I didn't see that really DISCLOSED on the ordering website that you have six weeks from the date the package arrives to qualify for the moneyback guarantee, my guess is that you could still do a chargeback through your credit card issuer as long as you meet the proper time frames - that is if you return the product to the merchant first and if they do not issue a credit within a reasonable period of time). Of course, the marketers KNOW that most of the time, when people buy this sort of thing, they get all excited for maybe a week, then forget about it once they do the 'fun test' to find out what their body type is or whatever...

Anyway...I'm rambling here. Summing up:

1) if you MUST have the Thurmond plan, check ebay or Craigslist.org and buy one of the numerous 'lightly used' kits selling at a discount; or

2) Go to the library or the bookstore, or even the Internet and find one of the many excellent weight-loss books (there's a lot of crap out there, but also some really good ones with solid info) which include weight training (which from what I've seen of the Thurmond plan would be considered "toning" since they use resistance bands), try out some exercise DVDs through Netflix or Blockbuster or join an exercise class or a gym...the resistance bands you can get EXTREMELY cheaply via the Internet or at Sportmart or similar place - I think they're less than 10 bucks each. For support, you can always come to 3FC. ;)

3) and if you want to get a bit more serious about adding resistance training, mosey on down to the Ladies who Lift subforum...

Bad4x4Girl 12-21-2005 09:31 PM

Well I bought it last year and did it for a month and found that I couldn't do it. It wasn't the fact it was little food, It was actually plenty of food (more than I normally ate) but I was very overweight at the time and borderline diabetic and despite their tips of altering things for the diet for high/low blood sugar I still had some issues. I had shakey spells and light headed episodes. Now I DID find the reading material to be very informative and the cooking prep and everything and how it all works. I never grew up in an environment that ate well or even had the home cooked meals so cooking for myself i was clueless unless it was mac and cheese and a trip to Mcy D's. Like everything else, I have taken the goods and the bads from this and learned and even have still used some of the items out of this paticular set. Live and learn and mash it together to get teh perfect diet. LOL

anske 01-05-2006 11:45 AM

Hello,

I bought the 6 week body make over and it is in my closet collecting Dust!
It is very strict on what you can eat. Bought it and wished I hadn't!!!!

sherit_515 01-16-2006 10:29 AM

New Member- Just got the 6WBM

Hey! I am new to this board. I just got the 6WBM in the mail last week. I am going today to get my food and start the plan tomorrow. When I first got the plan, I was so overwhelmed with all of the info. I read and studied the plan for a week to make sure I understood everything about it. Alot of the info I read made alot of sense about my body type and why I have been miserably failing all of these years on different diets. I will post updates about my experience with this plan. Wish me luck!!!

Sheri

artsy 01-18-2006 11:13 PM

My friend and I both bought the kit. She was on it for 2 days and I was on it for a week. You had to eat constantly. I tried it 2 years ago....and I still can not bring myself to eat tuna again....or hard boiled eggs. It was horrible. My friend got really light headed and had to quit. I tried to get past that, but I couldn't stomach the foods they suggested. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I do agree with Bad4x4girl, there was a lot of informative literature provided, but it definitely wasn't worth what we paid.

byebyebackroll 01-19-2006 05:35 AM

Whoever said that about not having the energy to exercise while doing the 6WBMO knows what they are talking about. I like to get up in the morning and get my exercise over with (Slim in 6), but everytime that I try to do the 6WBMO, I have absolutely no energy to get through. I could get up earlier and eat first and allow the food to energize me, but I get up at 4:15 AM anyway and I refuse to get up at 3:30AM just to get the energy to exercise.
I didn't lose as quickly doing Atkins, but at least I could exercise!

Have any of you tried Somersizing? I just posted a thread asking questions about it. I would like to know anything that anyone has to say.

Thanks

Kimquilts55 01-19-2006 09:26 AM

Pros and Cons

I did 6WBMO for a while and had great success....infact I recognize a few of the names here from their support boards.
Anyway, the plan works great when you are 100% perfect all of the time. Unfortunately, that is not always realistic.

Vanessas 03-05-2006 06:55 AM

I too bought the kit and the best part of it was putting the kit together and choosing the cards for my body type. As mentioned above it is very very restrictive, drastically reducing salt, sugar, calories, carbs and fat. Yes if you follow it you will lose weight and i did the week that i followed it but it is not realistic and not something in my opinion that one can follow for a long period of time. Needless to say the weight came back on much faster than it came off.

tish23 03-09-2006 06:35 AM

I am new here and I bought it. It works but it is really hard to stick to. I can't see it being a way of life. I didn't find it restrictive because they offer alot of recipes. I found it just took up to much of my time. It made me think about food all day. I was always looking for no salt added products. It also was expensive when I went food shopping. Plus I had to lug around a cooler all day with my food in it because you have to eat a certain times even if your not hungry.
I could never drink the required 100 oz of water or I would spend most my day in the bathroom. I did however get alot of good information from the kit such as what foods are good and not good for my body type.
I think if you really feel you can cut out all added salt ( which is harder then you may think), drink 100 oz of water a day, spend at least $30 a week extra on your food bill, Eat on schedule everyday 5 to 6 times a day then this diet will work for you.
I have decided any diet will work as long as you can stick to it and there is the key. Finding something you can stick with and still enjoy life.