3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Does it Work? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work-11/)
-   -   Fiber Pills (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work/64149-fiber-pills.html)

ewynne 08-26-2005 03:17 PM

Fiber Pills

hey
im currently incorperating high protein and fiber into my diet along with watching the fat grams and carbs and such.... but to get a extra dose of fiber, is it good to take fiber pills? what are the benefits?

Suzanne 3FC 08-27-2005 01:56 PM

Fiber helps keep everything moving and healthy inside :) If you are not getting enough fiber in your diet, then chances are you that you are not eating enough healthy foods. Foods that are high in fiber are also loaded with other things you need. Beans, whole grains, strawberries, blackberries, apples - there's an endless list of ways to increase fiber through diet.

That said, if you still aren't getting your 25 grams, then fiber supplements are fine. I'd avoid anything gimmicky or expensive and stick to something like Metamucil, which also comes in pills now.

RachelleS 08-27-2005 10:16 PM

Just remember that if you are counting calories - each tablespoon of Metamucil has 45 calories (I think - I have it entered in Fitday). I used to take the Wal-Mart brand pills. I wonder what the calories are on the pill form - I doubt it would be that much especially as when I was taking Metamuscil, I did two tablespoons.

MrsJim 08-28-2005 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelleS
Just remember that if you are counting calories - each tablespoon of Metamucil has 45 calories (I think - I have it entered in Fitday). I used to take the Wal-Mart brand pills. I wonder what the calories are on the pill form - I doubt it would be that much especially as when I was taking Metamuscil, I did two tablespoons.

Are you aware that Metamucil makes a sugar-free version, which contains only 20 calories per tablespoon?

What's more, I believe you don't need to stress about calories from fiber - your body doesn't absorb them.

I'd recommend using the Sugar-Free version - if the taste doesn't thrill you, just mix it with something like Crystal Light.

BTW the Metamucil capsules have 10 calories per 5 capsules (since you aren't going to taste what is in the capsules, they have no need to add sugar!)

RachelleS 08-28-2005 03:32 PM

I did try the sugar-free and didn't care for it - it does take less though per glass - only one tablespoon. It hardens extra fast though so you don't have much time.

Thanks MrsJim regarding the calorie information too! I won't stress anymore regarding it then.

Rachelle

Mel 08-28-2005 03:58 PM

Fiber One cereal has a lot of fiber, few calories and it actually tastes good. Sometimes I mix a half a cup into cottage cheese, or sprinkle some over my oatmeal or even over salads, kind of like a sweet, crunchy crouton.

Mel

mezmerize 08-28-2005 04:31 PM

I take the fiber choice chewable tablets. (sugar free) I also love the taste!
2 Tables = 4 g fiber. I pay $9.94 at wal-mart. I bought a try pack and now I have a plastic container that I can take along.

slimcharm 09-01-2005 07:37 PM

Thanks for the recommendation on the fiber choice! I love it...just bought some and indeed its an easy way to get in fiber. Also they have fruit flavored..havent tried that yet.

Also love the vitalicious muffins..which taste like cupcakes and 100cals..and no I am not affiliated with the company..but I love them!

flipafart 09-12-2005 07:03 PM

oatmeal is a great source of fiber

BigJimBoy 09-12-2005 08:31 PM

And psyllium husks too. Always drink plenty of water.

penpal 09-13-2005 08:04 PM

Fiber

Hi,

I just recently started using a new product - chocolate flavored Citrucel :T. It tastes great mixed with a cup of nonfat milk. Sometimes I mix it with a tablespoon of loose psyllium powder (Trader Joe's) and let it sit for about a minute and it turns into a kind of chocolate pudding! DRINK LOTS OF WATER WITH THIS! I drink at least 2 10oz glasses of water after this fiber. It's also very filling so I take it mid-afternoon when I get hungry. The Citrucel does have about 50 calories, so when you take it with milk you are looking at about 150-170 calories, so I make sure toinclude the cals in my daily total.

I actually started taking the fiber supplements because of IBS and it's helped me a lot. I don't take the pills because I can't stand to take any more pills :dizzy:!

Idealperson 09-15-2005 10:34 AM

I am taking the Metamucil tablets that contain calcium-double benefit!