Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 08:48 PM   #16  
it's always something

Nelie, the Kraft/SBD site is at http://www.kraftfoods.com/South_Beach_Diet/ It has quite a bit of helpful information for South Beach, including a shopping list that shows the Kraft products that are approved. Most of the items are made by other companies and would still be approved, though without the official logo. They have recipes, too, so you might want to take a look.

I don't think processing foods contributes to obesity, other than it often makes it cheaper to produce and encourages over-consumption. Obesity has increased at the same rate as our serving sizes and fondness for remote controls. However, I do agree that natural is better. Processing foods usually adds in things that hurt our overall health, such as trans fats and excessive sodium. The chemicals can cause various reactions for many people. I understand the need for some additives, but they often process foods in such a way to make them cheaper to package, make use of lower quality ingredients, and use fillers to increase serving sizes to appeal to our budgets. I think that processed chicken is the most vile thing on the earth.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:06 AM   #17  
WW Moderator

My pet peeve about the low carb labeling: Some of it is just nonsense! Carb Options made some low carb products and they are worse for people than the original! Take peanut butter - this is my "ARE YOU KIDDING?" moment of century - They packaged Low Carb Peanut Butter. They added in partially hydrogenated crap and artificial sweeteners. What's wrong with Natural Smuckers - Peanuts and Salt! I do like their sugar free teriyaki marinade, though. The ingredients are also pretty decent.

Speaking of odd labels, Carb Options is baby blue. Don't see that on many food labels!
Old 10-06-2004, 04:08 AM   #18  

Everyone I know is freaking out about how many carbs in the food...how bad they are. I find most of them to be bad tasting and so many are sugar free, which I can not eat because of the artificial sweetener. I really hate the idea of making foods good and bad.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:27 AM   #19  
Uber-Moderator!!

Truly NASTY stuff is that Dannon "Carb Options" (or whatever it's called - in the pink container) yogurt. I got a couple of containers of it from a meeting last week and gave it a try on Monday...has an absolutely VILE taste and weird, unappetizing and totally artificial pink color! G-A-G ME!!!!

Think I'll stick to Dannon Light & Fit and Safeway Light Yogurt. I don't count carbs, anyway.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:57 AM   #20  
Meg

I like it.

Old 10-06-2004, 09:58 AM   #21  
it's always something

I bought a slice of Eli's low carb cheesecake, just out of curiosity. I thought it was disgusting. It wasn't sweet, had a slick, almost slimey texture, and my stomach hurt later.

If you can't enjoy it, why eat it? I'd much rather have a very thin slice of the sugar packed real thing. Portion control is the key.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:00 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 197/159/140

Height: 5' 4"

I don't count carbs either. But I'm with you, Suzanne...if you can't enjoy, why eat it? Might as well skip it altogether or sample hubby's piece
Old 10-06-2004, 11:26 PM   #23  
WW Moderator

Try Ruby Tuesday's low carb cheesecake. OH MY. When we tried it, we asked the server to double check that it really was low carb. Not an ounce of artificial flavor or texture. It has like 952 fat grams though, so don't get it if you're watching fats!
Old 10-06-2004, 11:30 PM   #24  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer 3FC
Try Ruby Tuesday's low carb cheesecake. OH MY. When we tried it, we asked the server to double check that it really was low carb. Not an ounce of artificial flavor or texture. It has like 952 fat grams though, so don't get it if you're watching fats!
Well - as long as it's under my limit of 954 fat grams then it's okay...right??

Megster - all I can say is that Dannon must use a different formulation for the West Coast version of Carb Control yogurt - one that contains carb-free wallpaper paste...eww. I swear to God, that pink glop reminded me of the "Miracol" face mask my Mom used to get from her Merle Norman distributor that she forced us to use - it was the exact same color. Come to think of it, maybe it WAS the same stuff!!!

I was tempted to turn out the lights to see if it'd glow in the dark but that would have thrown the 8th floor of our office building in a panic.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:28 AM   #25  
Meg

Nope, mine is the same Pepto-Bismol pink color. I guess it either shows that I have NO taste (something I've long suspected) or that when you're hungry enough, you'll eat almost anything. Pass the Milk-Bones, Mel?
Old 10-07-2004, 11:58 AM   #26  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Carb control is heinous I had 1 spoon of one pot and I tossed the multipack I think if i was watching carbs
(Low Carb makes me demonic btw) and I was at the point of adding them back in I'd rather a 1/2 slice of good bread than 2 slices of nastiness
Don't get me started on LC pasta and chips *shudder*
Old 10-07-2004, 12:36 PM   #27  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

When I was doing my own low carb plan, I would buy a few low carb items including bread, which was actually pretty decent, and pre-canned protein shakes. One thing that made me change was reading the ingredients on the protein shakes and realizing how much saturated fat was in them and thinking "i'm putting this in my body? ugh".
Old 10-08-2004, 10:57 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 144/137/128

Height: 5 ft. 4.5 in.

I can't believe all those fat grams in that Ruby Tuesday cheesecake! If you are going low carb, I think the best thing to do is to also watch saturated fat and go for natural, unprocessed foods... of course if I did this I would not have a weight issue!

P.S. I tried that low carb yogurt as well and at first it tastes terrible but I think you can get used to it after a while. I used to hate plain ff yogurt but that's all I eat now. I got used to it. (I still don't like it and have to eat it with fruit).

Last edited by Musicgal; 10-08-2004 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:53 PM   #29  
WW Moderator

The only plain yogurt I can eat is the organic full fat kind - is it Stoneyfield Farms? Something like that, anyway! They have cream on the top. Oooooooh. That's eye rolling good. But not on my plan anymore!
Old 10-08-2004, 11:43 PM   #30  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Musicgal,
As with all desserts, it would be a rare occassional treat. I looked up a regular cheesecake and it has more fat and more calories than the low carb cheesecake. I might actually try the Ruby Tuesday's cheesecake when I'm craving something sweet.
Closed Thread