Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 07:55 PM   #16  

Default Problem with Elliptical

I went to see my physician today about the lightheadedness and numbness I get from Ellipticals and cycles. He did a complete blood panel and EKG. He did tell me he thinks I am hyperventilating. I told him I only feel funny when I get off the machine, he told me I dont realiize it while I am doing it. He wants me to try it agian for 15 minutes instead of 30 and then walk around and see if there is any change. Also to be more aware of my breathing. I am glad I shared the problem here. I would not have gone in today Thanx

Darcye
Old 07-11-2004, 09:22 PM   #17  
MikeH

I far favor the elliptical. But then, I'm a old feller (53), and gotta watch the joints. But I do a heavy workout on the elliptical three times per week, and ride ten miles or so on my bike at least once a week.

I had a treadmill but using it was, well, like being stuck on a treadmill!
Old 09-29-2004, 10:52 PM   #18  

I got a Nordic Track Eliptical machine from Sears. It's really very quiet and doesn't seem to rock much. I have problems with the digital readout, but the machine itself is great. I have a treadmill too, but feel like I get a better workout on the Eliptical. But I really think it comes down to personal preference. Good luck!
Old 09-30-2004, 03:41 PM   #19  

Here's my two cents:

Ellipticals rock, I love the no-impact. But you will have to spend a LOT more (possibly double) for a really good quality elliptical than you would for a similar-quality treadmill. Go to Sears and/or your local sporting goods/exercise equipment store, and you will definitely find that $$$=quality. I actually went to a store near me called 2nd Wind Excercise (they are I think exclusive to the upper Midwest) and "test drove" a couple of floor models that the guy called "consumer-professional quality" - very smooth, very sturdy, and starting at $1,000. Then I went to Sears, Galyans (a sporting goods store) and a couple different consignment places, and none of the "department store brands (Nordic Track, Proform, Reebok) came even close in quality to the first ones I tried (which were Vision brand - and fabulous. I highly recommend them if you are looking to invest in a really high-quality machine - www.visionfitness.com). I currently weigh 208 and even if the weight limit on the machine is 250 or 300, I don't want a machine that creaks like it's going to collapse when I step on it! So now I'm saving my pennies to eventually get the Vision one that I tried and loved. After experiencing a really good elliptical, I wouldn't take a lower-quality one if you offered it to me for free.

Here is some other advice that I have found through personal experience. There are LOTS and LOTS of ellipticals, mostly "hardly used," on ebay. BUT I would never buy one online without having tried a floor model first. Two models that look very similar in design can have a lot of differences in performance - the most important of which, I think, is the track of the pedals! Some models have a really short track (lots of knee action), others have a longer, flatter track. Some make you feel like you're tilting down into the floor, others are very level. Try some floor models and figure out what you prefer - down to a specific model if you can - and then you can search for that particular model online.

okay, definitely more than 2 cents - more like a buck and a half. But I hope it helps!

Fiona
Old 10-01-2004, 10:18 AM   #20  

Well, I prefer treadmills. I tried other ones at the local Y and I could not last as long on them as the treadmill. Mine has a couple programas on it and I can vary my speed and incline witht he touch of a button. Just my preference though, you have to go with the one that makes you want to use it!
Old 01-08-2005, 10:47 PM   #21  
Back fat Be Gone!

I just watched a special the other day that compared the elliptical, treadmill, and bike and the elliptical burned the most calories out of the three at the same pace. I used to use one when I went to the gym, I called it the torture machine because it is when you first start using it, but the pounds literally fell off of me from that machine. Not to mention it does a **** of a job of toning the lower extremities as well as the arms if you get one or chose to use the arm bars that move back and forth with your stride.
Closed Thread