3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Does it Work? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work-11/)
-   -   Please forgive me . . . (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work/2919-please-forgive-me.html)

slinko 03-12-2001 02:31 AM

Please don't crucify me, it's really just an honest question.
What's the deal with all these magic pills I see advertised so much lately?
Metabolife, Metabolift, Xenadrin, et al. Metabolife even has TV commercials, so they must be making a pretty penny. What do they actually claim to do and is it even scientifically possible for the claims to work? Aren't there substantial side effects?
If their so risky and ineffective, how can these companies be getting so rich? And if they actually 'work', so to speak, how? Are they appetite suppressants, diuretics or basically herbal speed? I looked at the Metabolife web page but didn't learn much about the mechanics of the product.
I've had great success from diet and exercise myself and I'm not considering using these products so please, please, please don't think of me as a 3fc blasphemer. I simply don't understand how their claims can possibly be substantial and I know most of us have been around the weight loss block a few times. Just looking for more information.
Thanks very much.

Kelly_S 03-12-2001 09:35 AM

There are many many threads on Metabolife (metabolift is the same thing under a different manufacturer and name). I'll find them and pull them up for you to read.

;)

NASCAR Woman 03-12-2001 01:04 PM

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...p?threadid=129

It's about Ephedra and has a link to an article on the product.

Put it this way ~ it's deadly and unregulated because it is not a drug. Ephedrine was a drug and pulled off the market. Ephedra is a "supplement" and, therefore, not regulated under the FDA. It's scary and can be deadly. That's why we tend to call them Metabodeath, rather than life or lift or whatever. They can, honestly, kill you or cause you to have a stroke. Don't do it.

Kelly_S 03-12-2001 01:19 PM

Thanks NASCAR. Do you remember where that thread with all those links you posted is.

THE BIG ORANGE BABE 03-12-2001 07:00 PM

DON'T DO IT

My Doctor told me just three days ago that she personally knew two people who have died because of this product. She said the ephedra is mass dumped into the mixing of the pills, and the dose evidently isn't measured...
FOR YOUR HEALTH'S SAKE.....JUST DON'T DO IT!!! :D

slinko 03-13-2001 03:49 AM

Thanks for all your input.
I have no plans whatsoever to take any of these products.
As I said before, I've had marvelous results with diet and exercise and I'm feeling really energetic and healthy by tried and true means.
I appreciate your responses and I'm glad to hear the other side of the story.

slinko

Carnation 03-13-2001 09:52 AM

While we're on the topic of such things, I thought I'd add my two cents and mention supplements such as herbs, etc. My mother had a lady-friend who decided to "get healthy". The lady bought all kinds of herbs, vitamins and minerals, etc. She ended up in the ER with a major allergic reaction to one of the things she started taking. Since she started everything at once no one could tell just what caused the problem. Anyway, the lady died. Just be careful, everyone. We don't want to lose anybody!!!....Carleen....

judygal 03-13-2001 11:18 AM

Before my father died in January, from prostate cancer, he was "hit upon" by the so-called distributors of supplements and herbal things to help him. He was suckered out of $400 a month on these promises. I don't buy into these claims and for all I know, they may have contributed to his death.

It's all about money. These companies want our money. We are often gullible enough to give it to them because they make promises they can't stand behind.

And as for the metabolife, my minister took it for a week and ended up in intensive care. Some of this stuff is just plain suicide. Please be careful what you purchase.

Girlie 03-14-2001 05:03 PM

Metabolife and Xenadrine

Is this basically the same things as Xenadrine?

ChrissyB 03-14-2001 05:26 PM

A few summers back I was ta king a product made my Twin Lab...I think it was called Diet Fuel.

At first I felt good. Lots of energy etc but as time went on I noticed that I had to take more and more of the Diet Fuel to maintaine that feeling. Then I started to get really bad headaches....my heart pounded...and I felt really dizzy. I decieded to stop taking it. I really think I was becoming addicted to that stuff. I was really moody when I stopped taking it and was really tierd.

Ephedra is dangerous and hopefully someday somehow it will be taken off the market.

scatcat 03-14-2001 07:51 PM

i know that they are not approved by the food and drug administration because they are herbal and mineral and not approved for safe usage...they haven't been properly tested and are not safe. Any diet pill that enters you blood stream is going to affect you in some way or another, you've got to remember that if it is in your blood it is going to run through your entire system (brain, heart,kidneys ect.) and I personally wouldn't want wreaking havoc with my body. They can have adverse side effects with any other medication you are taking.
If you are considering a "diet pill" speak with you physician first....there are perscriptions for diet aids that do not enter your blood stream (xenical which is by prescription) only works in your intestines, does not enter your blood.