3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Does it Work? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work-11/)
-   -   My Glucomannan experiment (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work/291121-my-glucomannan-experiment.html)

Robsia 01-22-2014 07:50 AM

I'm sorry I haven't been able to make the daily posts. This new job is just SO time consuming. I work all night, sleep into the day, get up, walk the dog, prepare the stuff I have to do that night, get the kids from school, make tea for everyone, then I'm out again.

Mind you, last night was the longest night of the entire project, so I wanted to get it out of the way at the start. I left the house at 6.15pm and got home at 5am. The rest aren't too bad.

I tried Red Bull last night for the first time. I'd kept my Monday night shift fairly short because I'd been uop at 6.30 to get the girls to school. So on Monday night I was home by 2.30 am, but then I barely slept. I think I had about 3 hours proper sleep, so I knew I'd be tired last night. So I bought some sugar-free Red Bull and had two cans while I was working. It did seem to work, but then when I was driving home (1h 50 min drive) it wore off and I was so tired. I felt myself going and for the last 30 miles I was seriously worried. I was slapping my face trying to keep awake.

But I got some decent sleep this time anyway. Got home at 5.00am and set my alarm for midday, and slept right through, so I got seven hours. Eight would have been better but I have stuff to do this afternoon.

Anyway, check out the stats for Week 3 - I am so chuffed!

Stats:
Week 1
Weight lost - 3.6 lb
Average daily calories: 1294
Average daily miles: 5

Week 2
Weight lost - 5.2 lb (1.6 this week - cheat week this week, had Christmas bottle of Baileys)
Average daily calories: 1361 (not counting Bailey's)
Average daily miles: 4.84

Week 3
Weight lost - 9.8 lb (4.6 this week)
Average daily calories: 1207
Average daily miles: 5.36

So something's working. I have only ever lot that much weight in a week right at the beginning of a diet, when it's mostly water and salt. Never three weeks into it.

Steelslady 01-26-2014 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robsia (Post 4925540)
I'm sorry I haven't been able to make the daily posts. This new job is just SO time consuming. I work all night, sleep into the day, get up, walk the dog, prepare the stuff I have to do that night, get the kids from school, make tea for everyone, then I'm out again.

Mind you, last night was the longest night of the entire project, so I wanted to get it out of the way at the start. I left the house at 6.15pm and got home at 5am. The rest aren't too bad.

I tried Red Bull last night for the first time. I'd kept my Monday night shift fairly short because I'd been uop at 6.30 to get the girls to school. So on Monday night I was home by 2.30 am, but then I barely slept. I think I had about 3 hours proper sleep, so I knew I'd be tired last night. So I bought some sugar-free Red Bull and had two cans while I was working. It did seem to work, but then when I was driving home (1h 50 min drive) it wore off and I was so tired. I felt myself going and for the last 30 miles I was seriously worried. I was slapping my face trying to keep awake.

But I got some decent sleep this time anyway. Got home at 5.00am and set my alarm for midday, and slept right through, so I got seven hours. Eight would have been better but I have stuff to do this afternoon.

Anyway, check out the stats for Week 3 - I am so chuffed!

Stats:
Week 1
Weight lost - 3.6 lb

Week 2
Weight lost - 5.2 lb (1.6 this week - cheat week this week, had Christmas bottle of Baileys)

Week 3

So something's working. I have only ever lot that much weight in a week right at the beginning of a diet, when it's mostly water and salt. Never three weeks into it.

Congratulations on your new job- I wish you nothing but success! Please, please, be very careful when driving home. I know all too well how exhausting working the overnight shift can be, and the lack of sleep is not healthy for anyone, trust me.

Also, congratulations on your weight loss- way to go!!!!!! :carrot: You are doing amazing!

thanks for the updates- I truly enjoy reading them and appreciate it when you post them. I truly can understand the lack of time to post daily. Just make sure you update us weekly as it sure is fun seeing the wonderful results your getting. :D

sweetnlow28 01-28-2014 12:43 AM

I enjoyed reading all of your posts :) I tried something similar awhile back with agar powder, also called Kanten. The idea is the same. It gels in your stomach and makes you feel full. I can't say I noticed much of a difference, unfortunately. Right now, I just drink tea if I feel a little hungry and it's not time to eat yet. I try to spread my 1400 calories out but I still get a rumbling stomach now and then. It is nice to have something to take the edge off ;)

Robsia 01-29-2014 06:19 AM

This week has been a better week work-wise. My shifts aren't so long and I'm getting some decent sleep. However, weight-wise, it hasn't been as blindingly amazing as last week. However, still quite respectable. I was stuck at 158 for five days, but these last two days it has finally dropped.

Stats:
Week 1
Weight lost - 3.6 lb

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4
Weight lost - 12 lb (2.2 this week)
Average daily calories: 1112
Average daily miles: 5.8

So, 12 pounds in 4 weeks is an average of exactly 3 lb a week. If I keep this up I'll be at 130 by the end of March.

Robsia 02-05-2014 08:23 AM

A very disappointing week. I have been so good all week, not cheated at all, but my weight loss, although it finally dropped this morning, was a miserable 0.6 lb for the entire week. Here's hoping for a better one next week.

Stats:
Week 1
Weight lost - 3.6 lb

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4

Week 5
Weight lost - 12.6 lb (0.6 this week)
Average daily calories: 1219
Average daily miles: 4.9

Robsia 02-12-2014 06:18 AM

It's been a funny week. I kept forgetting to talke the GM, especially in the morning before breakfast. Consequently I had a rumbly tummy on occasion. And I had the odd day (2 I think) where I just felt really nibbly and like I just wanted something else, even though I didn't feel hungry. I think that's a consequence of dieting - your body is still telling you to eat more because it knows you're not eating enough. But I still got an excellent result this week - 3.8 down!

Stats:
Week 1
Weight lost - 3.6 lb

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4

Week 5

Week 6
Weight lost - 16.4 lb (3.8 this week)
Average daily calories: 1224
Average daily miles: 5.1

My average weight loss so far is 2.73 a week. That would put me at 130 on 9th April.

Robsia 02-19-2014 10:12 AM

I was a bad girl this Valentine's weekend, and I can't blame it on my partner as he didn't buy me anything fattening - no chocolate or Baileys, because he knows I am on a diet. Instead he bought me some fab Star Trek swag and a lovely watch.

No, my downfall was all my own doing.

We sat and watched a film together on V-day night and I strongly suggested he get the chocs out. I only meant to have a few, but we all know what "I only meant" tends to turn into.

Then, on the day after, I suggested my small daughter and I bake Valentine's heart-shaped shortbread biscuits, complete with yummy pink icing and pink sprinkles. To be fair, I did share them - I only ended up having five of the 18 we made.

But then, I just felt SO nibbly all weekend - I couldn't stop myself from gobbling virtually everything in sight.

Result: On Monday morning I was up 3.8 lb!!!!

I know it's not 3.8 lb of fat - I didn't eat THAT much - but it's still disheartening. So it was back on the wagon.

As of this morning it has gone, but I'm back to 152 so I lost nothing this week, which was disappointing.

Stats:
Week 1
Weight lost - 3.6 lb

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4

Week 5

Week 6

Week 7
Weight lost - 16.4 lb (0 this week)
Average daily calories: 1338
Average daily miles: 5.42

Robsia 02-26-2014 06:00 AM

It's been such a rough couple of weeks, food-wise. I have felt so nibbly. Not physically hungry but psychologically just wanting food. I've tried to keep track of my calories but we are so good at lying to ourselves. It's also harder now that I'm not working nights. Before, I would get up at midday, have breakfast at lunchtime, lunch at dinner time, then go out to work for eight hours, being too busy either working in store or driving from job to job to even think about food. I lived off sugar free Red Bull to keep me awake and I wasn't even hungry. It was easy to only eat 800 calories in a day, and it was dropping off me, even though I was making up for it at weekends, keeping my average 1100-1200.

Now I'm back working from home and the kitchen is just right there, it's so tempting.

But I will get there. Ha a bit of a NSV today - got a pair of jeans and a top in the sale at Tesco in a UK size 10!!! So I am happy. And my normal jeans are feeling quite loose, more than a week ago so maybe I am due a whoosh. Hopefully I'll come back next week with a 3 pound loss to report.

My mum has bought herself some GM as well. She is diabetic and struggles with her weight. But from what I read GM is actually recommended for diabetics, so she got some. She was disheartened at first as she lost no weight in the first few days, but when I looked back, I didn't either. I had lost weight in the first couple of days before I got it, but then as soon as I started taking it, it stalled for about five days before kick-starting again. So I've told her to stick with it.

Stats:
Week 1
Weight lost - 3.6 lb

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4

Week 5

Week 6

Week 7
Weight lost - 16.4 lb (0 this week)
Average daily calories: 1338
Average daily miles: 5.42

Week 8
Weight lost - 17.2 lb (0.8 this week)
Average daily calories: 1194
Average daily miles: 4.93

Robsia 03-17-2014 06:37 AM

Okay - I am back with a fresh start.

I have had a rough couple of weeks and am back up to 156.

What I have discovered is that, although the GM does help you to stop feeling hungry, it doesn't help you to beat the psychological effect of dieting. you still feel deprived and you still crave the stuff you know you can't have , simply because you can't have it.

So when you go mad and eat loads of bad stuff - even if you don't feel hungry - guess what: you put weight on!!

And what was worse, I wasn't even taking the GM during these last two weeks, so I didn't even benefit from the stated side-effect that it prevented you from absorbing some of the calories even if you weren't restricting your diet.

I think the stuff needs to come with a label - Warning: willpower still required.

Anyway, I am still down 12 lb overall so it hasn't been a total waste of time. And today marks the start of Phase 2.

"I think I can, I think I can..."

Robsia 03-24-2014 07:00 AM

Well, that's one way to crack a plateau - pig out for two weeks then get back on the horse. Managed to lose 5 lb since last Monday and I broke through the 152 I was stuck at. Long may it continue.

Funnily enough, I saw this article in the Daily Mail that suggested two weeks on and two weeks off is a better way to lose weight than dieting continuously.

Quote:

Researcher Nuala Byrne followed the fortunes of 36 obese men as they tried to lose weight.

Half dieted continuously for 16 weeks, cutting their calories by a third. The others followed a pattern in which they dieted for a fortnight, then had two weeks off, then dieted again.

Although their programme lasted 30 weeks overall, just 16 weeks were spent dieting, the same as for the first group.

Those on the on-off diet lost more than two stone on average – 55 per cent more than the men who dieted non-stop, the International Congress on Obesity heard.

What is more, their extra weight loss couldn’t be explained away by their programme lasting longer, as they shed very little weight during the rest periods.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...se-weight.html

I think also you can't totally pig out - you'd have to be a little bit careful. The commenters poo-poo it, but I think it makes sense.

Phase 2

Week 1
Weight lost - 5 lb (17.4 in total)
Average daily calories: 1181
Average daily miles: 4.3