Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 02-17-2014, 11:00 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 210/T/150

Height: 5'9"

I like mine, I don't put too much stock in the calories it says I burned, but it helps me stay aware of my activity levels for the day.
thisisart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:18 AM   #47  

Default Anyone have a new Fitbit Force?

I'm trying to find out if it is worth the $129 price.

If you have one and are using it, what are you using it for and are you satisfied with it?
simalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:25 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

I like mine too & when hubby bought it for Christmas for me, I just rolled my eyes. lol. As others have said, you can sync it up with My Fitness Pal and your IPad or laptop, it tracks and it is very accurate. Have fun with it!

I had it on my wrist when I had a post op check up (knee surgery) and the doctor said "what is that?" I said "it shocks me when I eat something I shouldn't" You should have seen the look on his face. lol Then I told him about it and he said he was going to get one
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:41 AM   #49  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I really like my fitbit force. It is my watch, it can count stairs as well as steps. It depends what you expect out of it whether or not you'd be satisfied. If you aren't sure, I'd buy the force at REI. They accept returns up to a year after purchase, whether it was used or not.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:44 AM   #50  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by simalvin View Post
I'm trying to find out if it is worth the $129 price.

If you have one and are using it, what are you using it for and are you satisfied with it?
you can get it at HSN for $99, may even have free shipping
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:57 AM   #51  

OK - it's worth the price!
simalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:05 AM   #52  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

I have the force, but it has been recalled (voluntarily - I'm keeping mine!) due to some people having reactions to the nickel. I got it as a gift, so I felt like I could afford to spend the $$ to link MyNetDiary to Fitbit for food tracking, as I have been using MyNetDiary for so long, I didn't want to have to start all over again. I also splurged on the Fitbit Aria Scale. The only issue I have with the Aria, is that it says I'm 2 lbs more than my old scale . I find the fitbit super motivating. I find myself walking more, pushing harder to get 10,000 steps. I am able to compete with peers, and love the badges (more badges with the Aria too ) I love being able to quickly log my water too. The sleep tracking, IMO, leaves something to be desired. I have been using the Sleep Cycle alarm clock app (IOS) for a couple of years and I love it. The best buck or two I have ever spent! I am really hoping that Fitbit will soon be able to sync with Sleep Cycle and then be able to turn the fitbit into an intelligent alarm (making the alarm go off when your more likely to be coming out of deep sleep, rather than in the middle of it!) It has made mornings for me so much better. I still use sleep cycle for my alarm, and just use the fitbits alarm as an "Ok, you clearly turned your alarm off and went back to sleep, so you have to get up NOW" alarm

I highly recommend it!
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:57 AM   #53  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I have a Fitbit One and I love it. I bought it with giftcards I got for Christmas and Mother's day. No cost to me, and it's nice to use a gift card for something you normally would not buy for yourself. I am a senior citizen and not so tech savvy. I don't really know how to use it with MFP. or how to enter my exercise but I would like to figure it out. I found that the measurement for flights of stairs does not work right for me. Sometimes I walk up a flight of stairs and it doesn't register. Other time, when I have it on somewhere like shopping and doing a lot of walking, it will register 6 flights of stairs, when I didn't even go up or down any stairs. I understand the person who said it counts steps when she's driving. It works according to your movements, and when you drive, you are moving your feet to use the brake and gas pedals. She could take it off when she gets in the car and put it back on when she gets out. Depends on where she wears it. Mainly, it keeps me motivated to move more. I put it on when I first get up in the morning and have it on all day, every day. It's just a fun gadget. There are probably others that are more accurate, and they probably cost more, but for me, this one is fine.

Also, if you have the one that fits on your wrist, they now have something to make it look like a pretty bracelet. It's pricy, but looks better on your wrist when you're dressed up.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 11-03-2014 at 09:58 AM.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:56 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

I tried out a FitBit flex, and while I think it's a great device and I was enjoying it, I'm returning mine within the return period, for a full refund. Why? They aren't integrating with HealthKit for iOS, and I'd rather have a device that does.

On top of this, I feel lied to by the company. Just before my FitBit arrived, I read an article about the lack of integration, and the company seems to be flip-flopping a lot about whether they plan to integrate (even though it's their most requested feature by far on their community page, with literally thousands of requests). So I called in to ask about it, and I was told "We're working on it, but there are no guarantees" - which, after reading the words from their head honchos, I read as "We're not working on it, but we want you to think we are until this whole healthkit thing blows over."

Here's the explanation I sent to FitBit re: why HealthKit integration is important:

The benefit of the Health App does not come from the app and interface itself. The benefit is actually in the background.

With all your health data copying to the app from multiple other apps, it is gathered in one place and consolidated. THEN what happens is OTHER apps can pull the data (with your permission) for other kinds of analysis and viewing.

Right now there aren't a lot of apps with this capability, but the idea is that app creators will make, for example, a diabetes-specific app that incorporates your nutrient levels, insulin readings, blood pressure, exercise, and many other factors into its analysis. Or for people with heart defects like I have, there may be an app that tracks exercise along with O2 saturation stats, or charts your weight alongside your blood pressure.

You may have to use multiple apps to enter the data because your blood pressure monitor and insulin device can't put the work into integrating with analysis apps that don't even exist yet. But those are just for putting in the data, and the Health app provides a place to enter other single data points once, for instance for hospital testing. THEN you can have as many other apps as you want that are just for analyzing the data—and you won't have to enter all your data again just to try out a new analysis app that might not even work for you.

This isn't really beneficial if you only use a pedometer and a food tracker like MyFitnessPal. The thing is, a lot of us are using health apps and data for more than just our exercise and food. We want a solution that integrates all the devices and analysis we want to use and try.

In summary:

FitBit is clearly expecting all other companies to integrate with their app, but the reality is they just don't have the sway, nor the ability to provide full integration, that Apple and other device manufacturers do.

Not to mention, there are more people loyal to Apple than to FitBit.
So they've kind of shot themselves in the foot, here.
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 04:16 PM   #55  

S/C/G: Start:245 Current:160

Height: 5'5.5

I love the website so much. I do all my tracking there. My fitbit broke after just two months. I had the one for about a year and it worked fine then I got the flex and gave my friend the one. It broke within a month of her getting it and my flex broke three months after getting it for absolutely no reason. I didn't do anything bad to it. My sisters flex broke after only six months. In their defense they sent her a brand new one. I don't have all the packaging and stuff so I didn't even bother to try.

I'm really excited for the new one they have coming out in 2015. I'm sure I'll get it, but I am going to be more annoyed about spending the money after the luck I've been having with them.

When it's not broken I love it.
Olly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:05 AM   #56  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

faiora, I understand your concerns since you want to be able to do so much more with your activity tracker. For me and some others, the Fitbit fits our needs. I actually don't come close to using all the features it does have.

Olly, I'm sorry to hear your have had such bad luck with breaking Fitbits. Hope you have better luck with the new one!
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:27 AM   #57  
Aussie chick!

S/C/G: 135/79/65 (kg)

Height: 162cm

I have them new FitBit Charge HR, it measures heart rate without a chest strap, it's fantastic Very motivating! I only take it off to shower, which is when I charge it too, it only takes twenty minutes to charge and lasts four or five days. Measures sleep also. And resting heart rate. And I use it as my watch too
Ambience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:38 AM   #58  

S/C/G: 298/276/199

Height: 5 ft 11

I'm thinking of getting one....just seen an advert...didn't even know they were out in the UK. Are they worth the money when you already have a pedometer? Xx
Haninhudds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:47 AM   #59  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

I've owned 2 Fitbits now. The first one was the One and now I have the Charge HR. I love the HR because it's got everything I need. Watch, HR monitor, stopwatch, sleepsleep meter, plus it tells me how many miles I've walked. If you are happy with your pedometer then stick with it unless you want the extra bells and whistles!
KatieAlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:18 PM   #60  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

I love my Fitbit!

Compatible, with many other programs/apps.

You can add friends, do challenges, great battery life.

I started with a flex, upgraded to a charge. Over the last 3 years, "AWESOME" customer service!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote