vinyl sweat suits

• Do those vinyl sweat suits have any benefit at all? I know it only makes you lose water weight, which is extremely temporary. But the more you sweat, the more it makes you feel like you are getting a good work out. So even if it doesn't have physical benefit, maybe the mental benefit is enough, however, it would be nice if there was some actually physical benefit. So if anyone knows about this, let me know.
  • Hmmm... well you could slather on a lot of moisturizing creams before you wear the suit, and give your skin a good treatment!

I know of no benefit to the suits, and they won't affect your fat loss at all. I've heard that they can increase chances of heat stroke, though, if you overdo it.
  • I agree with Suzanne--heat stroke is a possibility. I've heard of a few deaths from those suits.
  • I had to check this out
    This is real? The things they will do to turn a buck. Found this on the web at www.titlesports.com

Vinyl Sweat Suit

Available in silver inexpensive vinyl.
    Suit comes complete with tops and bottoms.
    Vinyl suit is not recommended for workouts. Great sauna suit.
    Available in two sizes – Regular and XL.

Miss Chris
  • I'm just surprised that those are still around - been around since the 60's I think. Actually they are used quite often by - race horse jockeys who are always trying to keep their weight down (most of them live a very meager life to say the least - jocks like Pat Day have enough $$ to afford a gourmet chef but can't afford to eat the cooking! )

Yup, it's just water weight. Kind of like those body wraps where the salons wrap you in herbs and Saran Wrap.

Miss Chris - are you referring to "Title 9 Sports"? I'm surprised that they would sell something like that, at least they aren't promoting it as a weight-loss tool. I'm not into saunas myself but I know that people who ARE just LOOOVE to sweat and then take a cold plunge. I tried it ONCE in Calistoga. Not for me - I'll stick to the massages!

Anyone remember the "Slim-Suit" that you stuck your vacumn cleaner hose in to suck out all the fat?
  • I would be inclined not to use a vinyl sweatsuit for the stink factor alone.

In kickboxing, they vinyl gloves we used would get all moist and slimey and stinky. Being near the gloves made me gag. I could not imagine wearing a full body vinyl covering that could do the same thing, except on a much larger scale.
  • I can remember my mom and her friend using those while watching Richard Simmons' show in the early 80s (I suppose they were exercizing while watching but my memory doesn't extend past my mother looking like a baked potato. Did I mention they were silver?).

Gor, stink city I would think.
  • OMG YOU ARE CRACKING ME UP YOU GUYS!!

I keep thinking of that Seinfeld episode with Kramer and the butter - remember when he was coating his body with butter and how Newman reacted?

"Stick a fork in me...I'm done!"

Pass the light sour cream and chives here...
  • Making Weight
    My son would use this in wrestling when he had to make weight. He might start the day at 192 and need to be 189 by 5:00 weigh-in. The boys would go sweat off weight and then would be back up to 192 by the time the match started at 7:00. Just water weight.