3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Does it Work? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work-11/)
-   -   slimpops (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work/25391-slimpops.html)

missymont 03-05-2003 10:03 AM

slimpops

Has anyone tried slimpops? Someone advertised slimpops on the discover health channel forum. I went to the website and they were offering a free one. So I ordered and actually got two. I haven't tried it yet. It's supposed to be a natural appetite supressent with none of the bad stuff we keep hearing about. And since its a lolipop its supposed to satisfy your sweet tooth. Its 28 calories though, which is one of the reasons I haven't tried it yet. I can eat a whole cucumber for 28 cal and get a veggie serving to satisfy me to my next meal. So if anyone has an opinion about these let me know.

Suzanne 3FC 03-05-2003 03:29 PM

I would avoid this product. I just checked out the forum post you mentioned and it's written like a sales ad. I'd bet the poster is a distributor.

The contents for the SlimPop are:

*Guarana
*L-Tyrosine (amino acid)
*Citrimax
Vitamin B6 .2mg
Vitamin B12 .6mcg

Guarana is a stimulent, like caffeine. It has no effect on weightloss. People with heart disease or other conditions would want to avoid this.

L-Tyrosine is an amino acid which a few studies have hinted that it might be useful in treating depression, but more studies have shown no relation. What this is doing in a "slimpop" is beyond me.

Citrimax is also known as Garcinia or HCA. We have this in our Diet Supplement on the main site. Here is a copy of our info:
Quote:

Garcinia (HCA)

Garcinia, or Hydroxycitric Acid (HCA), is commonly sold as a weight loss supplement. It is available alone, but is usually sold in a combination pill that includes other supplements such as ephedra or chromium. It is often sold as CitriMax or CitraLean. It is claimed to reduce appetite, burn fat, or prevent the formation of fat.
Studies on animals suggested that HCA might affect the way the body burns carbohydrates and stores fat. However, no studies have shown similar effects on humans. An extensive study by JAMA concluded: Garcinia cambogia failed to produce significant weight loss and fat mass loss beyond that observed with placebo.

Is HCA safe? According to Berkeley Wellness: no one knows if HCA has any long-term adverse effects; some animal research found that it's toxic. It may be combined with other diet compounds, and the safety of such products—witch's brews of herbs and chemicals—is certainly questionable. The PDR for Nutritional Supplements states that pregnant or nursing mothers, and those with dementia syndromes such as Alzheimer's disease should avoid HCA. They also state that those with diabetes should be cautious with it.

Conclusion:
There is no evidence to show that HCA is beneficial for weight loss, and it can be harmful in some cases. It is better to wait and see what future research shows before taking it.
SlimPops mention vitamins B6 and B12 but only contain small percentages of it, and it's not enough to do any good. You'll get all you need from your daily diet.

I noticed that the website doesn't even say how much guarana, citrimax, or L-Tyrosine is in each sucker. But then again, these are not regulated so regardless of what the label would say, they can put any amount (or none at all) in them and get away with it.

The most amazing thing about the SlimPops would be the price. You get 30 suckers for $23.95 !!

I think your choice of a cucumber makes much better sense than a slimpop!

missymont 03-05-2003 04:09 PM

Thank you. Glad I waited. Good thing my sweet tooth weakness is chocolate and cake and not hard candy!