3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Does it Work? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work-11/)
-   -   Dry brushing? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work/230358-dry-brushing.html)

yhahmd 04-11-2011 12:52 PM

Dry brushing?

Not so much of a "does it work," ore of a "do you do it?" I recently came upon it. The whole "makes skin smooth and reduces cellulite!" comment drew me in, even though I realize it's bull. Still, I tried it, and I have to admit it felt really nice. I saw people comment that it helped get rid of dry skin. That seemed more believable. I think I'll stick to it, actually.

Anyway, anyone here do it? When did you start? Why do you do it?

rbphoenix 04-11-2011 03:05 PM

I've heard its also good for healing stretch marks. Don't know if that's true or not but its what made me consider trying it. You haven't seen any improvement in that area have you?

yhahmd 04-11-2011 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbphoenix (Post 3802387)
I've heard its also good for healing stretch marks. Don't know if that's true or not but its what made me consider trying it. You haven't seen any improvement in that area have you?

Yeah? That's cool. I just started today, so I'll let you know in a couple of weeks. I also use cocoa butter almost every day, so I'm hoping to see a bit of an improvement.

geoblewis 04-11-2011 03:18 PM

I do it, but not regularly. It does help me with my very dry skin issues. I'm allergic to most soaps (except for the pure olive oil ones without scents), so I dry brush at least once a week. Wish I remembered to do it more often. I do like how my skin feels afterward. I dry brush everywhere I can reach, then rince off with warm water. Then I apply almond oil on my arms and legs where most of my driness is the worst. I also get a body scrub and massage at the local day spa once a month.

I lost nearly 50 lbs a few years ago and my skin really started sagging. I noticed recently that my skin has tightened up quite a lot, and I think the brushing has helped some. I'm 50, menopausal and starting to lose elasticity in my skin. I think I'm prepared to lose the next 50 lbs now, and I plan to step up the dry brushing and body scrubs so my skin will shrink faster this time. We'll see what happens.

yhahmd 04-11-2011 03:31 PM

I have sensitive skin, so I have a lot of problems with soaps, too. I'll stick with it.

I hope it really does help tighten skin- I would love to tighten the skin on my arms and thighs just a bit. I'm not relying on it though, I'm still losing weight, cc and lifting weights.

kat999 04-11-2011 04:24 PM

I do dry brushing. I have very itchy, almost eczema-like tendencies on my back (I'm always asking DH to scratch my back for me! :D) and dry brushing before I shower plus using moisturizer consistently afterward has really done wonders for healing and making my skin less itchy. And I just use a long-handled bath brush with natural bristles, keep it dry at all times, and then my lotion is nothing special, sometimes with scent and sometimes unscented, whatever's on sale. I think right now I'm using some Aveeno something or other.

Cellulite, however... eh. I feel like it's improved a bit since I've been dry brushing and moisturizing, but that's also within the time frame that I've been dieting and exercising, so I'm more likely to attribute it to my overall weight loss than running a brush over my skin. ;)

josey 04-11-2011 04:37 PM

Thanks for the comment on what brush you use, kat999. I was about to ask.
How much pressure do you apply? I tried it a bit on the weekend but found it not really pleasant.

xty 04-11-2011 06:45 PM

I am soooooo hooked on dry body brushing!

I have been doing it daily, in the am right before I shower, for about 4 months now.
And it does, to some degree, help with cellulite, that isnt bs :)

I strongly encourage people to understand they lymph system better. Here is a decent reference for a quick overview: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lymphatic_system

In short, your lymph system runs right under your skin, has no pump (like your heart is for your blood circulatory system), and is responsible for an awful lot of work related to weight loss. Notably, for the elimination and transportation of fat as well as cellular waste.

Dry brushing is one of the things you can do to promote lymphatic drainage. This isnt a magical cure for cellulite, but it does help. It also helps with edema.

bellaella 04-11-2011 08:20 PM

sorry. what is dry brushing? my guess is scrubbing your skin after you shower? is there a special brush you use?

this sounds so interesting! thanks for your answers!

dragonlady1978 04-11-2011 08:21 PM

I read about this a few years ago but never tried it....I think I might try to find a brush tomorrow when I go shopping.

Are there specific areas to focus on, or directions/motions to use?

xty 04-11-2011 09:41 PM

The suggested brush is just a hard bristled brush you can buy at any drug store.

There are specific instructions, but they are short (borrowed from the website I link to below):
"I believe you should start the dry skin brushing session by starting at the area around your armpits, then brush your stomach in a clockwise circle, then brush your upper leg area. This stimulates the areas closest to the main lymph nodes. Then, to keep it simple, you can start at you feet and sweep up the legs in long, light brisk movements. Brush your arms with an upward motion, moving towards the heart All skin brushing movements should be towards the heart, to encourage the return of blood and encourage lymphatic flow.

Pay particular attention to the cellulite-prone areas like your thighs... The whole process should take two to five minutes.

Make sure the brush you use has natural bristles. You should ideally dry skin brush before every shower."

Video on this site, I had this women perform the lymphatic drainage massage on her site too, love her!
http://www.detoxdivas.com/Detoxdivas..._brushing.html

Pipercroft 04-11-2011 11:13 PM

Hi
I’m a former beauty therapist and we used dry brushing a lot. Here’s the how to -
You use a natural bristle (aveda has a good one)
You brush from the furthest part of your body towards the heart, ie start at the toes. the reason for this is it is a lymphatic stimulator, don’t brush down you are fighting your body.
Use as much pressure as you like, firm enough to feel but don’t make yourself uncomfortable, it’s supposed to be a nice experience.
ALWAYS before your shower/ bath. The water enhances the brushing effect.
Here the science behind it –
You are helping stimulate your lymph system, this is a waste disposal system of your body. (You know when you cut yourself, don’t bleed but there is that clear liquid that can bead there? That’s your lymph fluid)
You are brushing off the dead and flaky skin, allowing the new soft fresh skin to come to the surface. Hence you feel all soft and silky (and who doesn’t like that!)
As for the cellulite, well, really there is minimal “getting rid of” what you are doing is stimulating the skin, as such you get increased blood flow (ie you go pink) and this brings with it the food your skin needs. This gives you nicer feeling skin, also plumps out the dermal layers and “smooths out” the bummpyness. There is some pseudoscience that claims that the drawing away of the toxins under the skin will get rid of the cellulite. Have yet to see any believable research on this.
I hate to say it but once you got cellulite, it’s staying. UPSIDE!! It’s genetic and you can be as skinny and fit as you want, if your programmed to get it you will!.
I hope that was helpful
Kitty

josey 04-12-2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pipercroft (Post 3803114)
Hi
I’m a former beauty therapist and we used dry brushing a lot. Here’s the how to -
You use a natural bristle (aveda has a good one)
You brush from the furthest part of your body towards the heart, ie start at the toes. the reason for this is it is a lymphatic stimulator, don’t brush down you are fighting your body.
Use as much pressure as you like, firm enough to feel but don’t make yourself uncomfortable, it’s supposed to be a nice experience.
ALWAYS before your shower/ bath. The water enhances the brushing effect.
Here the science behind it –
You are helping stimulate your lymph system, this is a waste disposal system of your body. (You know when you cut yourself, don’t bleed but there is that clear liquid that can bead there? That’s your lymph fluid)
You are brushing off the dead and flaky skin, allowing the new soft fresh skin to come to the surface. Hence you feel all soft and silky (and who doesn’t like that!)
As for the cellulite, well, really there is minimal “getting rid of” what you are doing is stimulating the skin, as such you get increased blood flow (ie you go pink) and this brings with it the food your skin needs. This gives you nicer feeling skin, also plumps out the dermal layers and “smooths out” the bummpyness. There is some pseudoscience that claims that the drawing away of the toxins under the skin will get rid of the cellulite. Have yet to see any believable research on this.
I hate to say it but once you got cellulite, it’s staying. UPSIDE!! It’s genetic and you can be as skinny and fit as you want, if your programmed to get it you will!.
I hope that was helpful
Kitty

Great post. Thanks for the details and instructions. I will start tonight!

HAPPYPT 04-12-2011 11:59 AM

dry brushing

I have been dry brushing for a couple of months now after reading the benefits of it while detoxing. Apparently many of the toxins are released through the pores of your skin and to the surface. Dry brushing before a shower helps to rid the surface skin of these excreted toxins. It has made a real difference in the texture of my skin as well...very smooth!! good luck with it!! :D

amandie 04-12-2011 12:23 PM

Interesting! Totally different post from what I originally thought when I first clicked on this, lol. I may try it...

josey 04-12-2011 12:28 PM

Ok, amandie, now I want to know! WHAT did you think ??? ;-)

cherrypie 04-12-2011 01:03 PM

I started this last month, Not at often as I probably should. I don't know if it's doing anything for my lymph system, cellulite or stretch marks, but it makes my skin amazingly smooth and younger looking. I was starting to get just a touch of crepey skin on my arms and it is gone. I swear my skin is more glisteny.

InControl2Day 04-12-2011 01:06 PM

I definitely think it helps with cellulite! It also feels great

amandie 04-12-2011 01:32 PM

Josey- :lol: thought it was a question of whether or not to brush your hair if it's dry. Bwahaha.

osaunt 04-12-2011 02:07 PM

I'm a big fan of dry brushing! It was recommended to me by my doctor for general detox. At first I found it a bit uncomfortable, but continued because I was "supposed to". But now I LOVE it. My skin tends to be on the dry side and now it looks much better. I'm not sure if it helps with cellulite or loose skin reduction, but fingers crossed:)

bellaella 04-12-2011 06:30 PM

wow! thanks for all the great posts! i should try to find a good brush and start this. so looking forward to it.
Does it matter if you do it morning or night? i always shower in the morning when i wake up... would my lymphatic system be "sleeping" still when i do this and require a longer brushing?

xty 04-12-2011 08:49 PM

They suggest you do it after being sedentary for long periods (like sleeping, getting off a plane, etc), as it is those times that the lymph system most needs stimulating. But really I would say whenever it can be easiest folded into your routine.

Also - the instructions someone gave have a common 'mistake'. I dont know which is technically right so I put mistake in quotes...but I have been specifically told NOT to start at the extremities.

You should start by activating the big nodes, ala the left armpit (which processes 75% of your entire lymphatic drainage), then breast/tummy area, then right over the leg/hip joint, then behind the knees and THEN from the extremities toward the heart. :)

yhahmd 04-13-2011 12:12 PM

Well, let me just say- my skin feels amazing. It's only been 4 or 5 days since I started, and I can already tell a difference. Just with how it feels. Normally I have these little bumps on my arms, up above my elbows. I still have some on my left arm, but they've cleared up quite a bit. I put cocoa lotion on after, and one night I even put a little virgin olive oil in the bath- my skin feels fantastic. I've been doing it every day, but I don't normally shower this much. Even if I'm not showering that day, I still dry brush my thighs, arms, and...er..butt area. :P And I do it whenever I'm about to shower. Mostly at night, but I did shower this morning so I did it before that.

Even if it doesn't do any other claims, the looking and feeling better part is good enough for me! But I have to wonder- can you dry brush on the face? My facial skin is terrible. So dry and bumpy and not-nice-looking. Obviously I wouldn't use the big brush I'm using for my body, but can you dry brush the face, or is the skin too sensitive?

yhahmd 04-13-2011 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xty (Post 3804661)
They suggest you do it after being sedentary for long periods (like sleeping, getting off a plane, etc), as it is those times that the lymph system most needs stimulating. But really I would say whenever it can be easiest folded into your routine.

Also - the instructions someone gave have a common 'mistake'. I dont know which is technically right so I put mistake in quotes...but I have been specifically told NOT to start at the extremities.
You should start by activating the big nodes, ala the left armpit (which processes 75% of your entire lymphatic drainage), then breast/tummy area, then right over the leg/hip joint, then behind the knees and THEN from the extremities toward the heart. :)

Whoops! Guess I've been doing it backwards. I start at the feet, do the legs next, then stomach, arms, back, chest. That's what all the sites I saw said- I'll check the one out you posted though!

josey 04-13-2011 12:32 PM

One more question. I didn't start yesterday after all because I got thinking... I do the loofah in the shower and it feels great. I wasn't sure though if I dry brush before taking a shower, would that be overdoing it??
Is somebody else doing loofah and dry brushing?

InControl2Day 04-13-2011 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yhahmd (Post 3805642)
Well, let me just say- my skin feels amazing. It's only been 4 or 5 days since I started, and I can already tell a difference. Just with how it feels. Normally I have these little bumps on my arms, up above my elbows. I still have some on my left arm, but they've cleared up quite a bit. I put cocoa lotion on after, and one night I even put a little virgin olive oil in the bath- my skin feels fantastic. I've been doing it every day, but I don't normally shower this much. Even if I'm not showering that day, I still dry brush my thighs, arms, and...er..butt area. :P And I do it whenever I'm about to shower. Mostly at night, but I did shower this morning so I did it before that.

Even if it doesn't do any other claims, the looking and feeling better part is good enough for me! But I have to wonder- can you dry brush on the face? My facial skin is terrible. So dry and bumpy and not-nice-looking. Obviously I wouldn't use the big brush I'm using for my body, but can you dry brush the face, or is the skin too sensitive?

I wouldn't do it to the face. There are gentler exfoliating ways!

yhahmd 04-13-2011 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InControl2Day (Post 3805696)
I wouldn't do it to the face. There are gentler exfoliating ways!

I've tried a few other ways, but nothing seems to work. My face looks/feels gross, while my body looks/feels good. :( Any suggestions?

bellaella 04-13-2011 07:43 PM

you can get beaded exfoliates like facial washes. I use a chanel one (from their green line) and they told me there were crushed oysters in there. you can really feel the grainy when you rub it on your face and it makes my face feel silky smooth after wards. its a little on the expensive side though but it lasts me a long time because i always forget to use it! lol

xty 04-14-2011 10:38 PM

There are lymphatic drainage techniques you can do on your face but they are NOT related to dry brushing. That skin is too delicate.

It basically just involves a light type of facial massage to get the lymph fluid moving. I dont have face puffiness so I dont remember the technique but it just involves a light sweeping motion from middle of forehead down around eyes, down cheeks toward the chin.

But no def not an exfoliation technique ;)

GreyerJane 04-10-2014 10:57 PM

I dry brush, I read it in as book to raise your energy.. The instructions had you pay special attention to brushing gland areas, like neck, armpits...I do it after I exercise, before I shower.. I have dry skin, but also chemically sensitive skin, so don't like to put a lot of stuff on..
I like it, it makes my skin really soft, and then I put almond oil on after shower...
I still have stretch marks though.