Coconut Water

• Not as a 'diet' on it's own, but along with whatever program or lifestyle you have adapted to lose/maintain weight.

I have not tried it yet, but my mom drinks it because she says it gets rid of her migranes and it breaks up the bland taste of plain water once and a while.

It is available at health/whole foods stores and the kind I purchased is called "Vita Coco" and has 60 cal per 250ml and is full of vitamin C, magnesium and potassium. It is always sold out but I was finally about to purchas some.

Does anyone drink coconut water and find that it affects their weight as opposed to regular water (on occasion) or find it to have any other health benefits? What do you think about the taste?
  • Where do you buy it? I have heard it's very good for you.
  • I got it at a natural whole foods store called the Peanut Mill. I'm from Canada, and I don't think it's a chain, but I think coconut water is available at health food stores and I heard it's now available at some major grocery stores now too.

I will post tomorrow and let you know if I like it!
  • I've ordered it online from Amazon. I don't think it helps with weight loss but it is a good electrolyte and I like drinking it when I work out.
  • My summer "smoothie" is coconut water and watermelon that's been frozen. It's amazingly low in calories and cuts my cravings for Turtle Mountain's coconut milk ice cream.
  • I absolutely love coconut water! Did you know they use the pure stuff from water coconuts as a saline drip in developing countries because it's sterile inside the coconut, and full of electrolytes?

I like the taste of it straight from the water coconut. It tastes almost like a very subtle honeydew melon flavor. I haven't tried this product you're talking about, but one of my favorite summer treats is a chilled water coconut, gel-like insides and all.
  • i absolutely love coconut water fresh from the coconut! Esp on a hot day, very refreshing
  • Love the one straight from the coconut...I have only tried one canned variety and didn't like it as much.
    I grew up drinking it straight from the coconut, so maybe I'm biased. Anyhow is great, and yes it can be used as an IV drip
  • I drink one kind, its blue (zico, I think). I like it. It drink it after workouts. I havent noticed much of a difference yet... But it tastes awesome
  • does it help with recovery from workouts? like less sore? or more energy during your workouts? I've been drinking the So Delicious coconut milk...not sure if it has the same benefits.
  • I don't know about weight loss, but I do know that coconut water is a great electrolyte replacement (they call it nature's Gatorade). I used it when I was on chemo because at times I couldn't hold down much else.
  • I don't know about weight loss, but I love coconut water. I like when it's packaged with little 'lumps' of coconut flesh so you occasionally get a little chew while you drink. Even if it sounds gross while I type it out!
  • I love Coconut water, the VitaCoco is the only kind I have tried, although I do have the Zino (sp?) in my fridge as we speak, waiting for me for when I get home from my nightly walk!

My favorite flavor of VitaCoco is the one with pineapple. Tastes like a pina colada! Not to mention, it is soooo good for you, 15 times more electrolytes than sports drinks, and the potassium of something obnoxious like 8 bananas!

One thing I will say about the VitaCoco, no matter how soon I dirnk it after it comes out of the fridge, it's never quite cold enough, I always shake well, and enjoy over ice!

PS...Make sure you get coconut water and NOT coconut MILK!