3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Does it Work? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work-11/)
-   -   Clean Eating (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work/191477-clean-eating.html)

devadiva 01-19-2010 01:27 PM

Clean Eating

Could not seem to find anything on this is any one here doing Tosca Reno's Clean Eating prorgam? I am interested in the COOLER plans. As put on a couple over the holidays and need to get myself back on track.. If anyone out there is doing it I have a couple of questions the book is a little vauge on a few points.

mandymic 01-20-2010 12:40 PM

Hey devadiva,
I'm following Tosca Reno's Eat-clean diet. I haven't done Cooler 1 but have followed cooler 2 and sort of follow Cooler 3 on a daily basis.
I've been eating clean for about 2 months and it's one of the best decisions I've ever made! I have had the highest success on the scale yet (blame the holidays and not staying clean! and on starting a bit of weight training as well) but I feel and look a lot better and EVERYTHING in my closet is lose on me already :)
It's a great program and let me know if you have any questions, I've learned a lot over the past while!

BeachBreeze2010 01-20-2010 01:13 PM

Same here! I am a HUGE fan of clean eating. Ask away!

Kristinx 01-20-2010 03:06 PM

I'm interested too. I just started about 10 days ago. Dropped 4 lbs the first 2 days but gained a couple back? I've pretty much stayed on plan with the exception of one cheat meal and some glasses of wine. Is this normal? I understand it may take time for my body to adjust. Otherwise I am finding it good. Craving less junk for sure!

SBD Sass 01-20-2010 04:12 PM

That book is my diet Bible. Ask away.

SBD Sass 01-20-2010 04:25 PM

That book is my diet Bible. Ask away.

I did a week of Cooler #1 (details are in my blog) which was supposed to go on for two weeks to lose that last 10lbs and I lost 7 of it in a week. I found that I was too tired to workout and I couldn't. I felt weak and I almost felt sick. Tosca says that the Cooler #1 is a diet for rapid results and she is right about that, but you should only do it for only two weeks at a time, occassionally. This diet are for those who need to drop that last 10lbs or for those who are getting ready for body comps or stuff like that. I wouldn't recommend you do this diet if you are not used to eating clean because a few days on this diet will have you packing on your way to a country buffet.

Cooler #2...so much better. A lot better than #1, but I suggest starting out with #3 to get yourself used to eating clean first. Do that for about two weeks and then go to #2 for weight loss.

Cooler #1 reminds me of South Beach Diet Phase #1, a lot...but they are different. In Cooler #1 you are allowed sweet potatoes because it's a super food according to the clean eating way. In South Beach or Low Carb diets you aren't allowed potatoes. In clean eating you have to follow the portion sizes and that may become a little frustrating (pages 39 in the Expanded Version and page 405 in the Recharged version) and in South Beach and Low Carb diets there is a minimum serving you have to eat / you can eat more than the minimum if you like.

Overall, this diet (I don't like calling it a diet because it's really not) teaches you how you're supposed to eat. There is no diving in, you have to take baby steps with this way of eating. If anyone needs any details about something specific I can answer those.

catcookie 01-20-2010 04:44 PM

wow! I read your post and I checked the book out of the library and plan to read it so I can understand the lingo (cooler 1,2,3:?:)
But, I'm guessing it's eating foods with no presevatives in them... I guess.

SBD Sass 01-20-2010 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catcookie (Post 3106803)
wow! I read your post and I checked the book out of the library and plan to read it so I can understand the lingo (cooler 1,2,3:?:)
But, I'm guessing it's eating foods with no presevatives in them... I guess.

Tosca calls her three diets = cooler #1, 2 and 3. Basically clean eating is eating as close to natural as possible and omitting all white foods like white sugar, white flour (white bread, pasta), white rice and white potatoes. You eat 5-6 times a day using hand portioning. It's all in the book and that's why I say you have to start with baby steps. Start with changing your breakfast first and then gradually move onto snacks and then lunch and then dinner. It takes time because it can be overwhelming and frustrating if you just jump into it like that.

Kristinx 01-20-2010 05:31 PM

Yeah I find the portion sizing hard..I'm not much a visual person so when say I have brown rice or whole wheat pasta I'm not quite sure what is a serving or starchy carbs..a cup? a half cup? If I follow the one cupped hand approach I get like 4 pieces of rotini pasta lol That can't be right

SBD Sass 01-20-2010 05:46 PM

LOL! I always fill up all of the space in my hands flat or cupped. I'm greedy!

mandymic 01-22-2010 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SBD Sass (Post 3106910)
LOL! I always fill up all of the space in my hands flat or cupped. I'm greedy!

Haha, that's good!
To be honest, I do eat 5 smaller meals a day (will have a tea or a tiny treat if I'm really hungry sometimes for meal 6). But my meal 5/dinner tends to be a little larger, it just always ends up being a family dinner or with other people and it can tend to be a bit fuller than the other meals. Not by much, but it works for me and as long as I'm not eating that meal at least 3 times before bed, I'm usually okay.

SBD Sass has great info. Congrats on your success so far! You look amazing! You should send your pics in to the Eat-Clean Diet website eatcleandiet.com and get up on there! lol
I've only been eating clean since October so Sass will definitely be more knowledgeable!

devadiva 01-25-2010 10:31 AM

Hi
Thank you all for writing have lost 5 lbs in the first week, This is how I normally eat CLEAN that is but got off track HER cooler plan had me a bit confused and still does I too Like amounts I eat 6 egg whites because I know it has 100 cal ! know small chicken size fish size about how much tuna ect . If I read it right It is a total of 10 cups of vegs for the day RIGHT and 1 fruit some days sweet potatoe Always oatmeal with all the junk in it then I add an extra cup of hot water seems like I get more..... I am always full I can't eat it all. THANKS ALL FOR WRITING

DianaG 01-25-2010 11:19 AM

I love the recipes in her Eat Clean Cookbook and the Clean Eating Magazine as well. If you want to add a bit of variety to your meals you might want to check them out at your local library.

devadiva 01-25-2010 01:52 PM

I will once I get back right now with just cooler ating I need to eat simple and basic it works very well for me .My husband works alot so most my meals are alone so I can eat when and how I want so I prepare in multipules and have salads chicken oatmeal ect all prepared in advace just heat or grab NO THINKING days I work I am a waitress I can take stuff with me NO EXCUSES just got back from a trip and not one slip following COOLER 1 plan so it is possible. I am able to keep energy to work out i do CLX and 70 min cadio kickbox and ab routine daily. Guess I am just lucky.

devadiva 01-26-2010 11:01 AM

Well weighed today 7 lbs down one week I know some is water.YEAH!!! But I have been careful AND DID NOT LOSE ANYTHING NO MATTER WHAT I DID for months and am super active { exercise HARD p90x clx ect do total of 2 to 3 hr exercise a day Kickbox cardio ect} and have not been able to BUDGE these POUNDS I put on over holidays and while I was injured for a few days. I am NOW at GOAL again!!!!!! I will stay with this through the second weekon COOLER ONE the switch to two for awhile then on to regular CLEAN EATING which is what I was doing before I gained.
P.S.....I am 57 so the whole having to only eat 1500 to 1700 cal no matter HOW much I exercise really seems to be the case I gain if I DON"T and if I eat more! HAPPY DANCE!!!!

SBD Sass 01-31-2010 12:54 AM

Congrats! Yep, that cooler #1 will move you out of a funk of a plateau in a week or less and that's why I love it. I also eat simple. I find it a bit time consuming to prepare the simple meals and I can't imagine following recipes and the like...it will take me days to prepare for one day. I'm exaggerating, but for me, keeping it simple and tasty works.

Floprieto 02-02-2010 10:04 PM

Could someone give me a sample of a clean eating day? I find her book very confusing...

mandymic 02-03-2010 10:25 AM

Each day, typically would be 5-6 meals.
You can find tons of users' meal plans at www.eatcleandiet.com. (In the Kitchen Table section)

A typical day for me is:

M1 (breakfast): Oatmeal (not the pre-packaged stuff) w/ some natural almond or peanut butter, cinnamon, flax, wheat germ, and some fruit or raisins. Coffee w/ skim milk (I don't put sugar in it but if you do, try a natural sugar like Sucanat, honey, or agave nectar.)

M2: Fat-free cottage cheese with fresh fruit (today I have honeydew and blueberries)

M3: Tuna Salad with mixed greens, a little fresh goat cheese, tomatoes, and balsamic vinegar & evoo dressing.

M4: Rice crackers with hummus (homemade, I have a great recipe from one of the cookbooks) and I have carrots to dip as well.

M5: Brown rice with a beef & walnut stir-fry (this recipe is also from one of the cookbooks!)

M6: Not always, but if I'm still hungry, I'll have Green Tea and a clean treat (clean cookie if I have them made). I try not to eat late so I find a teas can usually quash my hunger!
Here's a link to one of my favorite Clean Eating cookies: http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/recipe...tecookies.html

Amy Bass 02-03-2010 11:21 AM

Can this diet be modified for a vegan? I don't want to eat meat or dairy. Are there enough ways to eat without adding those ingredients?

devadiva 02-04-2010 11:15 AM

In her book she has a vegan section and it is broken down with meal plan the book I bought was THE EAT-CLEAN DIET paper back at Walmart $9.99.
I am in Cooler 2 now and am maintaining but have dropped to 127.
My meals are simple
meal 1}oatmeal 1cup I ALSO ADD ! CUP HOT WATER{2tbl bee pollen,2tbl flax,2tbl wheat germ} 6 egg whites scram with 1/2 veggie[Mrs dash spice} I eat these things about 2 hrs apart you are suppose to eat together BUT I CAN"T
Meal 2 Yourt lowfat plain 1 cup 1 cup blueberries
Meal 3 Chicken Baked 2 cups allowed veggiies 1/2 apple or sweet pot
Meal 4 Tuna{water pack 3/4 can} 2 cups greens {Iuse lemon juice or vinager and Mrs DASH for dressings}
Meal 5 Cod or Salmon 2 cups of veggies sweet pot or apple {again Iuse MRS DASH AND LEMON JUICE AND VINAGER
I have another meal if needed BUT DON"T

I am always full!!!!!

It is a little confusing on portion but 6 egg whites have 100 cal
a palm size portion on meats is about 4 0z 5 0z
dairy 1 cup yought 1/2 cup CC
chhese low fat

Floprieto 02-04-2010 09:41 PM

It sounds really yummy! Find you ladies for posting a standard day :D I think i will do cooler 1 for 1 week just to jumpstart the weightloss and then move on to Cooler 2? Is this the way to go? I have about 80 lbs to lose.

devadiva 02-05-2010 09:51 AM

I love it I find it perfect for me. You can prepare a lot of your veggtables at the same time if you have bowls make the salads ahead cut the vegtables at breakfat for whole day, I cook oatmeal [ long cooking kind]for the week and heat it daily I devey it up in little containers. Heat it daily its faster. And like I said I add an extra cup of water to ad all the stuff in the oatmeal.THAT way I just grab stuff.
I bought my Ground Flax seed at like walmart, my FIRST Bee pollen I bought from a health food store, and wheat germ, some groc carry or health food store I DO THINK ITS IMPORTANT!!!
TRY the BEE POLLEN if it works for you I found a REALLY good source for 5lbs
at an EXCELLENT price by mail.

I REPEAT IF YOU HAVE THE RIGHT MIND SET YOU ARE NEVER HUNGRY!!!
I am a firm beliver anything works if you work it!

mandymic 02-05-2010 10:37 AM

You can try cooler 1, but you may find it very restricting if you go it cold turkey! As long as you're fully prepared, you should be okay. Just don't do it on your TOM, it will make you VERY cranky! lol

I would suggest trying a week of cooler 2 than a week of cooler 1. It may be an easier transition, but if you're determined, than go for it girl!

jules1216 02-05-2010 06:55 PM

You all made me very interested in this program..I checked out the websites and ended up getting the new book and a cookbook..it really looks like something hubby and I can do!!

jules1216 02-05-2010 06:55 PM

Is there a support thread for Clean eating anywhere on the site???

Floprieto 02-05-2010 08:56 PM

hey devadiva, could you PM the info about where u got the bee pollen?

i am going to read the book over the week end and see if i am ready for cooler 1 cold turkey... It is a good idea mandymic to do one week of cooler 2 first, so that i can get used to eating better:)

devadiva 02-06-2010 08:48 AM

No I don't think so but we could start one up. I plan on eating this way and it helps to keep on track.

Floprieto 02-06-2010 10:28 PM

Hey ladies, so i went to the health food store and I bought the supplements so I just tried one of the bee pollen and so far no reaction. Does that mean that tomorrow I can go ahead and put a TBS in my oatmeal?

Floprieto 02-07-2010 05:36 PM

Homemade Hummus... Yummy :) Anyone know how many TBS to have if I want to eat it with carrots? Would that be a complete meal?

devadiva 02-08-2010 07:13 PM

I sure don't because I only do the purly strict Plain strict COOLER so I don't know on the hummas thing but it would seem what ever is the equal to a serving of beans if you are folling the VEGAN one. As far as the BEE pollen question I went with like a tbl m 1st day with the wheat germ 2 tbls and 2 tbls of ground flax seed. It can make you stool soft {which for me is a GOOD thing} So I incresed to 2 tbls the second day which is what I have evry day LIKE I said I do add another around ! cup of water when I add the stuff CAUSE it makes it REALLY thick ....but I love it 3 weeks in!

Floprieto 02-08-2010 07:40 PM

I did pretty good today... But I found breakfast DISGUSTING! Is there supoosed to have a rancid taste? I am wondering if some of my products were still good such as the oatmeal and the flaxseed. Anyone know where the bad taste could come from?

JulieJ08 02-08-2010 09:21 PM

Most likely the flax, it is prone to going rancid. That's why you're supposed to keep them in the freezer, or buy whole and only ground a few days or a week's worth and keep in the refrigerator.

Floprieto 02-08-2010 09:29 PM

Thank you Julie :)

devadiva 02-09-2010 09:10 AM

Because also even the weat germ says to put in fridge after pening I think it has a pleasant nutty flavor and the bee piolen when I have had the 1/1/2 teaspoon she [Tosca}talks about in water I can taste the Honey in it!Do any of yhe products SMELL rancid?

mandymic 02-10-2010 09:43 AM

Sorry ladies, I haven't been around in a few days!

I used to take bee pollen in a pill form b/c I thought it was a terrible smell but I've gotten use to having it in my oatmeal over the past few months. It could be either that taste that you're not used to or the flax was old, or you didn't refrigerate the wheat germ.
But I'm proud of you Flo for sticking to it!

We should definitely start a support group for Clean Eating, this thread is cool with me or should we start it in another area in the forum?
I'm also a member on the Tosca Reno forum and everyone there is eating clean, they've got some great ideas there too!

I've had a bad week myself (TOM) plus work is extra busy and life in general has made me so busy, I haven't had time to focus on exercise or preparing meals for the week...but I'm still managing to eat clean! :)

devadiva 02-11-2010 10:28 AM

Hi everybody I STARTED A THREAD UNDER "GENERAL DIET PLANS AND QUESTIONS" I named it "Clean Eating {Tosca Reno}" so we can post what we are doing and eating to keep track so HEAD over if you would like!!!!

jules1216 02-12-2010 09:30 AM

Found it!!

Hippiechic20 02-22-2010 04:04 AM

What exactly is the clean eating diet? From the way she describes it, it sounds like stuff I already eat. Though to be honest, it might be portion control thats off for me. Does she have a book?

mandymic 02-22-2010 02:21 PM

Hi Hippechic, yes there's actually a series on the Eat-Clean Diet by Tosca Reno. You can find everything on the books here: www.eatcleandiet.com

Basically, it's eating natural, unprocessed, clean foods and definitely watching portion control. You eat 5-6 smaller meals throughout the day (including snacks) every 2-3 hours and each meal should have a proper balance of lean protein, healthy fat, and complex carbs. I would suggest picking up one of the books in the series for more info because it tells you everything you need to know about portion control and eating clean. Her newest book is the original re-vamped with new information, it's called The Eat-Clean Diet Recharged, she also has a couple of cookbooks, training journals, a workout book, an Eat-Clean Diet book for men and one for families and kids (There's a whole bunch more than I thought I guess!)

It's definitely worth it, I love eating clean!

Hippiechic20 02-26-2010 12:14 AM

I bought the book and I will definitely try it. What have I got to lose?