3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Does it Work? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work-11/)
-   -   Infrared Detox Booths (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work/172583-infrared-detox-booths.html)

aimz 05-26-2009 12:27 PM

Infrared Detox Booths

hi!
i was wondering if anyone has ever used one of these before?
I have an appointment for one on friday.
The website says that it burns 1000 calories.

Thanks!
amy xx :D

Thighs Be Gone 05-26-2009 12:28 PM

holy smokes..never heard of it but if it works I am gonna buy my own booth--I don't care what it costs!

CLCSC145 05-26-2009 01:09 PM

Beware of booths bearing false promises....

It's basically a sauna right? Yes, you'll sweat, but whether that sweating is eliminating "toxins" is a controversy as is the number of calories you burn while in one. The calories are expended by the energy required to cool your body through sweating.

Read up on them. It sounds like some of these companies are twisting the words of the Journal of the American Medical Association around to suit their marketing campaigns.

If you treat it like the sauna it is, then I think that's great. People have enjoyed them for centuries, except the heat source for what you are talking about is infrared light rather than hot stones. But considering how long they've been around, if they were the weight loss miracle we've all been looking for, we would have figured it out long ago.

nelie 05-26-2009 01:26 PM

Looks to be a bunch of false promises. You'll lose some water weight. It may make you feel good (as sauna's tend to do). You won't lose fat and it won't 'detox' you.

Thighs Be Gone 05-26-2009 02:24 PM

I am finding some claims on the web this was touted by Oprah as well as Dr. Oz. I am having trouble substantiating that claim though. If anyone has a link to the Oprah/Dr. Oz review I would like to see it.

MariaMaria 05-26-2009 05:08 PM

Quote:

I am finding some claims on the web this was touted by Oprah as well as Dr. Oz. I am having trouble substantiating that claim though.
LOOK AT Oprah and Dr. Phil. If this magical booth were so good at burning calories, they'd both be smaller.

saef 05-26-2009 05:21 PM

Does sweating really cleanse you of toxins?

If so, then it will soon be July in NY & I will see it as an opportunity to take myself down into the subway, right by the tracks, where the cars generate an incredible heat on muggy days, and I will cleanse myself by letting two or three trains go by before bothering to board one, during which time I'll have drenched the entire back of my shirt by doing nothing more than standing & breathing. Doubtless this will enable me to release all kinds of noxious toxins.

I do believe that sweating & peeing always releases some minimal toxins, but that there's heavy stuff embedded so deep within all my fat & muscle & even within my bones & that mere sweat isn't going to get that stuff out. I've lived in the 20th & 21st century in America & I haven't lived in a bubble. That stuff ain't gonna come out easily. It's probably in there at the cellular level.