More in depth Alli Info please..

• I am new here. I have been trying to get into the My Alli dot com site this afternoon after just recently learning about it and it keeps giving me the "Server is too Busy" issue, I did look at the Cached version on Google but couldnt get much from it. I have viewed the Sticky here, above. Thanks! I guess I am actually looking for some ppl who are 100 pounds or more overweight and who have been using it and want to know if it is working. Would it work with a Low Carb diet? Or should it be used strictly with Low Fat only? Also, does anyone know if you can take it if you have conditions like High Blood Pressure and Heart Valve Disease? I know I need to ask my Dr those questions, Im fully aware of that, I just want to know if someone here is using it who has those conditions? Thanks!
  • Hi, welcome to 3FC We have a lot of threads about alli, including a few support threads for people that use it. If you use the Search feature, choose to search thread titles (instead of messages and titles) to find some of the support threads. Hopefully you'll find a lot of useful info there. As far as I know, it's perfectly safe to use if you have high blood pressure or heart disease. I have both and I checked that out last year when I considered an alli trial, but then decided against it.

It is strictly for low fat diets, and would not be recommended for low carb dieting. If you are on low carb, then you would eat a lot of fat and you'd spend all of your time in the bathroom. The way alli works is through negative reinforcement. If you eat more fat than you should, you'll suffer consequences. By taking alli, you put yourself in a position where you will really want to eat low fat
  • the myalli.com site is often down . . . i hate it!

Alli should not be used on a low carb diet because it is a polar opposite diet. Low carb diets rely on your higher fat intake to give you necessary nutrients and the Alli diet plan, which is a low fat diet, relies on higher carb intakes for nutrients and energy. It wouldn't be a healthy plan and any doctor would tell you not do it!

I'm over 100lbs overweight and am taking alli with my meals that contain fat. I lost 10lbs in 3 weeks and am still losing going into the end of my first month taking it. I like it, but I haven't decided whether I'm going to buy a new bottle when this one runs out since it is so expensive! If I don't I will continue with he calorie counting whether I decide to go low carb or low fat is still undecided.
  • It's really hard to find results for alli. I dug pretty deep through the threads on 3fc, and most of the results seem pretty good, but there's no where that people are posting results from 1 month plus. I just posted a thread just like this the other day, and didn't get very much response. However, I still added alli to my program today for the first time, so I'll let you know if it gives me a boost.
  • Alli is good for low fat diets. Atkins/low carb diets are high fat and will not work with alli. The alli starting kit comes with loads of information for you to start a diet with alli. I just went on myalli.com and it worked for me. I suggest, other than asking your doctor, calling 877-4MYALLI about the medical thing. Although Alli works only in the digestive system and therefore, shouldn't have heart problems or blood pressure problems.
  • Also, I used Alli for 2 months when I first lost weight. I never gained weight at that time. I was always losing at 1-3 lbs a week. I stopped when I realized I wasn't eating that much fat at all. I came back on the diet using Alli.
  • I was on Alli for 6 months recently. It helped me lose 30 pounds and keep it off.

I stopped taking it back in December because I had surgery and didn't want any problems before or during the surgery and during the recovery. I am ready to start back on Alli soon when I get the money to buy another bottle, as it is definitely a helpful tool.

As far as heart problems- my heart races whenever I have any caffeine, so just about every diet pill out there would be a no-no for me. However, Alli caused no problems with my heart racing, but I would still ask your doctor just to be on the safe side.

I remember way back when I belonged on their site's message board, someone had had a heart problem (I forget which, sorry) and asked if it was safe. They said so long as they took a daily vitamin once or twice a day, they would be ok, as it doesn't affect the heart. That was a couple of years ago when I first started Alli, but stopped due to how expensive it was, so I don't know if the poster ever used it or what their results were.

The only problem that I had with side effects, which was MY fault and not Alli's- I didn't stop long enough before I went on vacation, ate way too much fat, and ended up with cramps in my stomach and had a lot of diarrhea, for about 3 days- we're talking non-stop, on the toilet once an hour for about 14 hours a day. How I knew it was the Alli? The orange fat that came out of me every time I went to the bathroom, and believe me, there was a lot of it. Thank you GOD that I had a porta potty in my tent trailer, as I would never have made the bathroom at the campground. It was in my third day in on our vacation that this started, and it was because I didn't wean myself off at least an entire week off of the Alli before eating fatty foods. I lost five pounds in that ten days of camping, and I'm sure the Alli was to thank for that.

When I say wean yourself off, I mean stop taking it, but EAT LOW FAT for at least another week to avoid problems. This was also the only time I had one accident in my underwear, and again, this was MY fault for not being diligent and following directions. I stopped taking it again a couple of other times when I went on other vacations and had no problems, but again, I ate low fat for that week it was leaving my system, very important that you do this.

I love Alli, I just wish it was cheaper.

Hope this helps.
  • Target stores in my area are having a sale on Alli at 180 pills for just under $50. That's double the number of pills you usually get at that price. It might be worth checking out if you have a Target near you.
  • Quote: It's really hard to find results for alli. I dug pretty deep through the threads on 3fc, and most of the results seem pretty good, but there's no where that people are posting results from 1 month plus.
    I have been on Alli 51 days now and it is working for me. I have lost 33 pounds since Dec 1. There is an Alli thread and I and a few others who are on it have posted on it several times.

It works but you have to follow the plan. And it works twofold, it loses 25% of what you eat in fat over 15 grams per meal and it keeps you honest because it makes you think twice about eating fatty food.

For more in depth info I suggest getting the Alli book it has everything in it. I got mine from the Dollar Store for $1.00
  • If you're wanting a long term testimonial then I can give it. I've been following a low fat diet for 20 months and taking the precription form of alli (Xenical) for 18 months. I've lost a grand total of 107lbs and have hardly had any gains during the whole of that time, even over holidays. I'm pretty consistent in taking the Xenical for all meals that contain fat and have had very few side effects.

I feel the drug has really helped me. When I started on it I had highish blood pressure and my dr did say it was safe to take with high blood pressure as it only acts on the gut and not absorbed in any way.

Kitty
  • Thanks for letting us know your long term results Kitty! Do you think you would have loss just as much weight as easily without the Alli?
  • I have been on Alli for two weeks or so and have not yet had treatment effects. I used to lose about a pound a week, and since I started Alli, I've lost a little over 2 a week. :]
  • I use Alli with Stillman's Protein PLus which IS a low carb low fat plan. I don't eat much fat on Stillmans, but when I have something higher in fat like ground beef then I take an Alli. It seems to work for me and I have no treatment effects. if you stay lowfat then the Alli flushes a percentage of your dietary fat and it is not digested...that equals CALORIES. I got mine on Ebay pretty cheap and I don't take them at EVERY meal, just ones with fat, so it hasn't been very expensive.