3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Does it Work? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work-11/)
-   -   Xenedrine EFX-Without Ephedra (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work/15526-xenedrine-efx-without-ephedra.html)

Slayer 04-13-2003 12:18 AM

I have been using Xenadrine EFX for about 2-1/2 weeks now and just bought my second bottle. I really like it and I have had no negative side effects from it whatsoever. While I have not seen any rapid weight loss, I have lost a few pounds while taking it. The most amazing thing to me, however, is that I have totally not been sticking to my diet at all for the last few weeks, and I have not gained any weight and have even lost a little. I really think the Xenadrine is really helping in that area. I would definitely recommend it.

Suzanne 3FC 04-13-2003 01:00 AM

There is an article about Xenedrine at WebMD http://my.webmd.com/content/article/59/66803.htm

I'll copy just the part regarding EFX:

Quote:

Ephedrine-Free, but Risk-Free?

Enter Xenadrine EFX, a newer, ephedrine-free formula.

It's true that Xenadrine EFX has no ephedrine in it, but Rarback points out that it does have "bitter orange," a citrus fruit that contains synephrine, which is chemically similar to ephedrine. This product carries the same warnings for people with heart conditions and mental illness as the original formula does.

As for the other ingredients in Xenadrine EFX, Rarback says none have been proven to aid in weight loss -- for example, green tea and ginger. One study published in the International Journal of Obesity in 2000 found that green tea speeds up metabolism and may be a useful weight-loss aid. But Rarback argues that one study isn't enough proof, and that the bulk of research on green tea has been concerned with its antioxidant properties. Also, ginger has been studied primarily as a remedy for nausea.

Cytodyne Technologies has commissioned research on both Xenadrine formulas, finding them safe and effective. Cited on a page of the company's web site is a study titled, "Ephedrine-free Xenadrine-EFX outperforms leading ephedra-based diet supplements." The source given is a 2002 issue of the Journal of the American College of Nutrition.

Every day brings news of studies published in medical journals. The average reader might reasonably assume that the journal article was, like those often referred to in news reports, a peer-reviewed study. That means the journal's editors have accepted the article for publication based on rigorous scientific standards. "Ephedrine-free Xenadrine-EFX outperforms leading ephedra-based diet supplements," however, actually refers to an abstract of a presentation made at an American College of Nutrition meeting, which happened to be printed in the journal -- quite different from peer-reviewed publication.

"That certainly is not a title we would publish," said the journal's managing editor, Richard Caldwell, PhD, when asked about the study. Later, in a statement, he wrote, "The abstract has not been peer-reviewed by the Journal of the American College of Nutrition, nor has the study it refers to been in any way scrutinized by the Journal."

"There's no indication that we've done anything illegal or unethical," says Shane Freedman, a lawyer for Cytodyne Technologies.

Rarback takes issue with the before-and-after pictures on the Xenadrine web site, too, which show "after" pictures of people flexing their rippling muscles. "They're absurd," she says. The fine print reads, "Endorsers used Xenadrine EFX in connection with a diet and exercise program."

There's diet and exercise, yet again.

Another ephedrine-free diet pill called Hydroxycut, made by MuscleTech, Inc., contains hydroxycitric acid, derived from the Garcinia cambogia plant. To support its claims, the company cites a study showing that people taking G. cambogia with a diet of 2,000 calories a day and 30 minutes of exercise five days a week lost an average of ten pounds in eight weeks.

More research is needed to clarify the effect of diet and exercise plus G. cambogia. A study published in The Journal of the American Medical Association found no difference in weight loss between people taking G. cambogia and those taking a placebo.

Instead of spending your money on supplements, Rarback says, exercise, eat right, and "use that money to buy yourself some new clothes for your new figure."

Published Feb. 18, 2003.

On a side note, I found the reference to the study in the Journal of Medicine particularly shocking. Knowing this was manipulated this way makes you wonder if you can ever believe anything any supplement manufacturer claims!

Ok, so I'm not shocked, lol, this is an extremely common practice! Another reason never to believe what the supplement makers tell you, but you should look for medical references instead.

Also noteworthy is the reference to the Hydroxycut study. Eat right and exercise 30 minutes a day and you can lose a pound a week. You don't need a supplement for that!

Derek 04-16-2003 09:18 PM

Dang, after reading through the first 2 pages of posts in this thread, I was actually tempted to buy some of this EFX stuff, but now that i've read the post by Suzanne... i'm sceptical. I guess i'll wait and see what everyone here (that's taking it) has to say about it in the weeks to come.

Derek 04-16-2003 09:26 PM

Here's an interesting product I found, very similar to EFX:
http://xenadrine-efx-comparison-review.com/
Check that out once... it says it has things in it to block fat from being stored and is cheaper..

awa2003 04-22-2003 06:20 PM

OK, so after taking the Xenedrine EFX for a week, I am OFF OF IT!!! I felt HORRIBLE while taking it! I felt depressed and every little thing made me so irritated! I couldn't sleep, and I just felt terrible inside. So, I stopped taking it. It didn't even help curb my appetite that much. I feel so much better now. Oh, and I found out that 2 of my coworkers had exactly the same experience with the EFX as I did. Of all the posts, here and elsewhere, that I have read, everyone seemed so happy with the Xenedrine EFX. I think it's important that people hear the negative side too.

loranden 04-23-2003 12:17 AM

I've also stopped taking it recently. There were a couple of times where I had shortness of breath and some spasms in my chest, and one night after an angina attack (thank goodness I had nitroglycerin patches in the house!), I stopped the Xenadrine the next day. As a matter of fact, 60 mgs of Prozac makes me just as energetic and cuts my appetite, in addition to its intended purposes, and my secondary insurance covers it ;)

kmg73 04-28-2003 12:41 PM

I started taking xendarine efx one week ago. I started out taking 2 pills a day, one in the am and one mid afternoon (this is half the recommended dose for people who weigh more than 150 lbs). Some days I only take the one pill in the morning. I have noticed it supresses my appetite quite a bit. In fact, I've lost 5 lbs this week.

I'm getting my blood pressure checked tomorrow by my doctor and I have been regularly checking my pulse over the week. I haven't noticed any heart palpatations or felt bad. In fact, I've had more energy (but that started with my new multivitamin I started taking a few weeks ago). I'm still a little paranoid and taking it one day at a time and monitoring myself. I'll keep you updated on my continued results.