Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 10-21-2008, 08:47 PM   #1  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Default Stevia

Hi all,

Stevia is NOT a diet supplement/pill of any kind. It is in fact a sweetner.

I had a girl from my work show it to me. She uses it to sweeten her tea, and certain dishes.

I had asked her when I saw her open this tiny little white jar, take 1/100th of a teaspoon if this white powder, and stirred it into her tea. So she made me a tea... and by god - just the teeny tiny pinch of this white stuff (stevia powdered extract) made the tea taste like there was at least 1 teaspoon of regular granlutated sugar in my cup!

Has anyone heard of this? Or even use it?

http://www.stevia.com/

If you are a user, do you know of any possible nasty side effects (e.g. like any other artificial sweeteners)?

My friend at work is a health-nut and swears by this stuff.

Last edited by tamaralynn; 10-21-2008 at 08:48 PM.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 285/195/175

Height: 5'6"

nope, my dietition highly recommends stevia, its all natural or something, one of the best "artificial sweeteners" for you, because apparently its not so artificial, I find it extremely sweet, however, it is one of the best things on the market these days.
JennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:12 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I have heard there is some health concerns with stevia but I don't know the specifics. Just because something is 'all natural' doesn't mean it is safe. It is true that stevia leaf has been used for a while in asia but again I don't think it has been used extensively and similarly with soy, when you start to put something into everything and concentrate it, it starts to worry me. We haven't seen stevia in many products, partially due to cost though. I use stevia in liquid form occasionally.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:17 PM   #4  
150 by my 50th!!!

S/C/G: 341/261.4/150

Height: 5'7"

Stevia is a much healthier alternative to Splenda or Equal. I now split between using Splenda for baking and Stevia for sweetening my tea and coffee. I buy it in my local Whole Foods or Sprouts store, but a good online place is vitacost. They are the most reasonable I have found for my supplements, vitamins and protein powders.
Arlene Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:01 AM   #5  
Believe it, be it

S/C/G: 198/ticker/125

Height: 5'0"

If you need to use a sweetner for your food/drink, stevia is a good way to go. MUCH better than splenda for sure. I have some in my kitchen cabinet, but haven't used it yet. I hear that you should use it sparingly because of how sweet even just a bit is.
RangerChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:18 PM   #6  
Stinger

S/C/G: 0/0/0

Height: 5'5

Today a friend from work brough me a slip from her stevia plant. I tasted a little bit of the leaf and low and behold it tasted like sugar! I stuck it in water to see if the plant would take root. If so I'll plant it.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 06:31 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 270/238/165

I've been using it to sweeten my coffee and tea for about a month now. I went to the natural foods section of a local super market and they had packets of it. I carry some in my purse for eating out and have a stash at work.

I even found some flavored stevia to add to bottled water like Crystal Light. Tried Cherry and Lime and I really like them both.

I feel much better about using this than equal or splenda.
Franma76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:36 PM   #8  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I have used it regularly for about a year now. I really like it better than Splenda for yogurt and drink sweetening. I use stevia or agave to sweeten almost everything.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:55 PM   #9  
Formerly know as Fauxtini

S/C/G: 369.2/ticker/235

Height: 6'1

Stevia in it's least processed form is hard to find.. but the best! (IMO) That way you can get away from all the processed stuff that worries people. I don't think that it's officially arroved by anyway.. but I swear by it. ( still use splenda for big things..but use stevia is much as i can. i hope to start growing my own if I can ever find the seeds! hehe
mountain mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:08 PM   #10  
Stinger

S/C/G: 0/0/0

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxtini View Post
Stevia in it's least processed form is hard to find.. but the best! (IMO) That way you can get away from all the processed stuff that worries people. I don't think that it's officially arroved by anyway.. but I swear by it. ( still use splenda for big things..but use stevia is much as i can. i hope to start growing my own if I can ever find the seeds! hehe
I am hoping my slip roots so I can plant mine.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:32 PM   #11  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Here's a link to Nutrition Action Newsletter on stevia:

http://www.cspinet.org/nah/4_00/stevia.html

This is from another website:

Scientists studying the potential toxicology and toxicity of stevia have several main concerns:

Energy Metabolism: Large amounts of stevioside can potentially interfere with absorption of carbohydrates in animals. It can further disrupt the metabolising/conversion of food into energy.

Cancer: Steviol has successfully been converted into a mutagenic compound, which may promote cancer by causing genetic mutation of a cell’s DNA. The catch? Scientists don’t yet know if this will happen in human cells.

Reproductive problems: European scientists cite potential adverse side effects to the male reproductive system. When fed high doses of stevioside for nearly two years, sperm production in male rats was noticeably reduced and the weight of seminal vesciles declined. Likewise, when female hamsters were fed large amounts of a stevioside derivative called steviol, their offspring were found to be fewer and smaller. Again, it should be noted that this has been neither tested nor proven in humans.

Draw your own conclusions
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:18 AM   #12  
Workin' It

Hmm.. Interesting infor ddc, thanks...

I've been using stevia for a while now, usually I have 1/4 tsp once a day. Spenda makes me sick so I was looking for something else. I've been slipping back to using 1/2 tsp of raw sugar lately, might just go back to that...
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:43 PM   #13  

@ddc: thanks for an informative info.
I'd say "everything is good in moderation" IMO, Stevia is healthier than all other loaded with no-one knows what sweeteners.
TammySmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:01 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 170/158/140

Default Stevia in stores

We just talked about this at our meeting... Apparently Stevia is the new rage now and the soda companies are marketing their own brand... Truvia is in stores now and she said it was made by Pepsi (not sure if that is accurate). Apparently several companies are making it and they all end their products in XXXvia. It is more expensive than sugar or Splenda, but might be worth it....
Shrinking Shrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:14 PM   #15  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

We've been using it for almost two years. It is sold with supplements in the store. You will never find it on the shelf with sugar--at least not right now. My children's dietician and pediatrician (a cancer survivor) uses it and would definitely not be using it unless she felt it safe.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote