Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 11:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/165/120

Height: 5'8

Default Whey Protein Shakes

If I drink nothing but protein shakes for 3 weeks, will I lose fat weight without losing muscle weight? And how much would I lose in that case? I'm 5'8 and 150 lbs at the moment. I would love to lose 10 lbs in 3 weeks by following a protein shake diet.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:37 AM   #2  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

That does not sound very healthy to me.

How many shakes are you going to drink? How many calories are you going to consume?

How about doing it sort of like slim fast--a shake for breakfast and lunch and then a sensible meal for supper.
Any weight that you lose that quickly on such a drastic plan will probably come back very quickly.

Just my thoughts.
Best wishes
Old 09-13-2008, 11:47 AM   #3  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Eating a diet of only one thing is almost certainly a bad idea. It doesn't matter if it's all meat, all fruit, all protein shake. It might be possible to lose those 10-lbs in three weeks.... HOWEVER... when you start eating other things you're going to almost certainly gain a good percentage of the weight back.

Look for sustainable dieting (ie. change your lifestyle). Any way of eating that you can't maintain is likely going to cause a yo-yo effect. Lost fast, gain some back, etc.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:14 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 180/165/120

Height: 5'8

One shake has only 120 calories, so a shake for lunch and one for breakfast would be too little. I was thinking..if I drink 10 shakes a day, I'll get the protein and calories and lose weight.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:34 PM   #5  
Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Height: 5'2"

What brand of shake? Can you send a link to it? Does it have fiber in it (if not, you can add fiber supp. to it)? Does it have vitamins and minerals?

I like what someone else said, maybe have the protein shake for breakfast and lunch, then a sensible dinner (maybe a salad with some lean protein).

Could you maybe eat fewer shakes and add some fruit to the shakes so you'll get some fruits in that way? (I like to add blueberries, strawberries, and/or blackberries to my protein shakes). So maybe drink a shake for breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, (all made with added fruits), and then a big salad for dinner (or hearty chicken and vegetable, for instance, soup). I'd drink plenty of water and make sure to take a multi-vitamin (and choose a shake with vitamins and minerals).

Last edited by Cheree; 09-13-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:38 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

What happens in 3 weeks when you start eating again???
Old 09-13-2008, 01:50 PM   #7  
Queen of the World

S/C/G: 256/256/190

Height: 5 feet 8 inches

Are you doing the shake thing because it's more convenient than trying to figure out what to eat and how much? In the short run you will probably lose. In the long run it won't stay off because you haven't changed anything that got you to the weight you are now in the first place.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:57 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

All the questions about what brand of shake and how many and so forth are irrelevant. This is a HUGELY unhealthy and unsustainable way to lose weight. This isn't something any of us should be supporting.

Nor is a goal of 10 lbs in 3 weeks.

The honest and true answer to this question is that you will lose fat and muscle and water weight by drinking only protein shakes. What you will also do is deprive your body of needed nutrients that you simply cannot get by drinking 10 protein shakes a day.

And the minute you go back to eating real food, you will gain most of it back.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 09-13-2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:49 PM   #9  
Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
All the questions about what brand of shake and how many and so forth are irrelevant. This is a HUGELY unhealthy and unsustainable way to lose weight. This isn't something any of us should be supporting.

Nor is a goal of 10 lbs in 3 weeks.

The honest and true answer to this question is that you will lose fat and muscle and water weight by drinking only protein shakes. What you will also do is deprive your body of needed nutrients that you simply cannot get by drinking 10 protein shakes a day.

And the minute you go back to eating real food, you will gain most of it back.

Actually, there are physician-supported weight loss programs that do utilize protein type shakes, so for me (and it's just my opinion, YMMV), it's not something I would say shouldn't be supported (though I understand you saying that we shouldn't support someone saying they're going to drink only 10 protein shakes a day, that is why I suggested she also incorporate some fruits and vegetables...as well as a reallly good multi-vitamin). However, the program I'm referring to can be done safely, but only with the direction and close monitoring by a physician (and nurse). I went to a presentation at my health care center about such a program where I see my MD (and btw, people on the plan had to go in once a week to be checked and then bloodwork done on a periodic basis). There are reasons that some physicians put their patients on this type of eating plan (and then they gradually introduce the non-shake approach over a period of time ... then there is a period of maintaining that is monitored).

I know this is not what the OP was talking about, but I did want to mention that there are medically sound eating plans (temporary) that protein shakes can be utilized. Usually these patients are morbidly obese and cannot get the weight off themselves...and they are in greater danger staying at their weight than doing these types of programs (which are very expensive, but some insurance plans pay for them). They usually see very good results and it keeps them going because of seeing the results that they've never had before on their own.

Whenever possible, I support a long-term eating plan (not a "diet") that is healthy and utilizes regular food rather than protein shakes only. I am drinking a protein shake ("medical food") in the morning (or as a snack) at the advice of my doctor, that has a lot of great things in it... http://www.metagenics.com/products/detail.asp?pid=244 It uses soy protein instead of whey protein. I get the vanilla flavor and add like a cup of blueberries in it, some flax seed oil, usually water, the powder and then mix it up in my Magic Bullet.

Last edited by Cheree; 09-13-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:13 PM   #10  
Anne

Cheree - yes, but the poster is not talking about something she plans to do with her doctor. I'm not as familiar with the plans you're talking about but I believe they're more balanced (ie. more carbs and fat) than a traditional off the shelf protein shake. In my food tracker I have a couple of different whey powders that I've used. They range from 71% - 95% protein. The one at 71% has a touch more fat than the others (20%). The point is that someone doing something like this SHOULD only do so under medical supervision. Since most reputable doctors would only do this for someone with a true medical need. Not someone who just wants to drop 10 pounds really fast. You made these points yourself. Someone who drinks nothing but protein shakes for three weeks (assuming they make it) is almost certainly going to gain a good percentage back when they go back to their normal way of eating.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:19 PM   #11  
Anne

Oh, and since we're talking protein shakes. Last week for breakfast (Mon/Tues) I took:

55g protein powder (a 95% protein one)
20g oat flour (whizzed up oats in a blender that I keep handy)
5 oz mixed berries (blackberries, raspberries, sometimes blueberries)

361 cals, 54g protein, 33g carbs, 10g fiber, 2g fat

In theory, if I liked it, I should probably have added some peanut butter or something like that in (ie. more fat). I balance my days, not specific meals, although I took some nuts with me for a snack later. Something like this is a better solution (as others have pointed out).

Having said all that, I eat lots of real food, and still manage to lose ~2lbs/week. So to the original poster - don't be afraid of real food.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:01 PM   #12  
Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealCdn View Post
Cheree - yes, but the poster is not talking about something she plans to do with her doctor. I'm not as familiar with the plans you're talking about but I believe they're more balanced (ie. more carbs and fat) than a traditional off the shelf protein shake. In my food tracker I have a couple of different whey powders that I've used. They range from 71% - 95% protein. The one at 71% has a touch more fat than the others (20%). The point is that someone doing something like this SHOULD only do so under medical supervision. Since most reputable doctors would only do this for someone with a true medical need. Not someone who just wants to drop 10 pounds really fast. You made these points yourself. Someone who drinks nothing but protein shakes for three weeks (assuming they make it) is almost certainly going to gain a good percentage back when they go back to their normal way of eating.
Yep, and that's why I said in my post that the plans that I'm talking about are monitored by a physician. I just wanted to try to find out exactly what the OP was talking about and if she was dead set on doing the protein shakes only, even if for only 3 weeks (which I think is a bad idea to be honest), to at least incorporate some healthy guidelines (as much as possible). Some people here are going to go ahead and do whatever they want (even if it has the potential to harm their health), regardless of what we say.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:44 PM   #13  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

How many grams of protein per day would that be --in 10 shakes??
Too much protein can be harmful to the kidneys.
And is whey protein a "complete" protein?

Could you even do this for 3 weeks? I don't think I'd last a day.
I can see drinking one or two a day, but 10??

I think sensible eating makes more sense - lol
Old 09-13-2008, 09:34 PM   #14  

Quote:
Actually, there are physician-supported weight loss programs that do utilize protein type shakes, so for me (and it's just my opinion, YMMV), it's not something I would say shouldn't be supported
From the 3FC rules:
Messages intended to promote potentially unsafe and/or controversial weight loss procedures or products (including but not limited to non-medically prescribed supplements and MLM products) are considered inappropriate and may (at the discretion of the forum team) be removed without warning.

The OP isn't talking about a medically supervised plan that provides all the proper nutrition, but about just doing nothing but drinking 10 protein shakes per day for 3 weeks.

IMO to provide information on how to do such a thing is not a good idea. It's not being supportive in any positive way.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 09-13-2008 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:35 PM   #15  

Quote:
How many grams of protein per day would that be --in 10 shakes??
Too much protein can be harmful to the kidneys.
Studies have shown that this is true only if you are already prone to kidney issues.

Closed Thread