Hypnotherapy

• I've heard some really good feedback on hypnotherapy and I was just curious to know if any of you have ever tried it and if it was a success? I know I have a alot of awful thinking habits when it concerns food and that is really why I took an interest in it, but it's not cheap so I'd really appreciate your opinions!
  • Well, I haven't tried hypnotherapy with a real person, but I have listened to Paul McKenna's mind programming cd which is a form of hypnosis/relaxation/affirmation, and I have had good success. I'm pretty much at (within 5 lbs) of my goal weight. So, I tend to think that it would work, but I'm not sure of the costs (with a live person). You can check out his website at mckenna.com. (some people on his forum have had trouble purchasing the book from the website, so I would suggest getting it from barnes and noble, if you want to order). He has some really basic ideas about eating (not dieting!) and then the cd reinforces that. After the first time I listened to it, I noticed that I had no desire to drink Crystal Light Tea. It was really weird to me. Also my afternoon munchie snack attack didn't hit me. It really worked for me. I still have little binges sometimes, but nowhere near what they were.

Best wishes
  • Oh, I just noticed you're in the UK.
    Have you seen Paul on TV there?
    You should be able to get his book fairly easily.

Good luck
  • I always want to believe that there is something out there that will make this easier. My reality check with any of these weight loss techniques is that if it really worked everyone would be doing it. If a hypnotherapist was seeing such phenomenal results they would do a clinical study or market case studies. That is not happening. That is not to say I don't get sucked in- I bought hypnotherapy tapes once- very relaxing but did not impact on my weight. Save your money or use it to get support from a weight loss program if you need it or a personal trainer.
  • Lifechange it's not that im unhealthy or dont exercise but i just think about food and have major issues with how i think. I also have anxiety and hypnotherapy i know is just looking at how your brain works and trying to help you mentally. Thanks for you opinion though.

And ddc, I have seen him but I don't really know much about him in all honasty...but I'll defo look into it, thanks for the feedback
  • Hypnotherapy is not a cure-all, nor will it spontaneously stop your cravings or urges to eat. But ... hypnotherapy is a valid type of psychotherapy as part of a whole plan of therapy. Some people are more receptive to hypnosis than others, so it might not help everyone.

As I said above, it's not a magic bullet. It can help relax you, putting you in a more focused state, and therefore making you more receptive to changes in patterns of behavior. It usually takes several sessions to develop a rapport with the therapist that will allow you to relax enough to become hypnotized.

Anyone who has ever given birth and used the Lamaze or Bradley methods has engaged in some amount of self-hypnosis to help deal with pain by focusing internally.