3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Does it Work? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work-11/)
-   -   I Can Make You Thin - Paul McKenna (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work/136322-i-can-make-you-thin-paul-mckenna.html)

recidivist 12-21-2008 11:11 PM

Quote:

1: When you are hungry, eat.
2: Eat what you want, not what you think you should.
3: Eat consciously and enjoy every mouthful.
4: When you think you are full, stop eating.
So, briefly, what are the techniques to change what you 'want' if it's all the wrong foods? Like high fat and salt?

Also, does anyone else have trouble knowing when they are full? I have reflux, and nervous stomach, and even after I've eaten enough, I still actually feel hungry, because it's hard to tell the difference between hunger pangs and nervous stomach pains.

I love the concept, but am not sure it would work for me.

sjm1027 12-22-2008 05:24 AM

why don't you try Hypnosis?

In April I went to a Hypnotist, because of the same questions you have with Paul's technique. I have lost 93 pounds and still going strong. It's not the food it's the mind... Once you get in touch with your mind the rest will fall into place. I do self hypnosis every evening. I was so impressed with hypnosis I became a certified Hypnotist.
Just know you have to want it... So be good to yourself, go see a hypnotist and get it done right.

Good Luck,
Steve

kari1980 12-25-2008 05:33 AM

re

I use hypnosis cd's from time to time. They really do work but sometimes I'll just stop myself from listening to them. I swear, it's like self-sabatoge :(

sjm1027 12-25-2008 06:49 AM

I know what you mean... If it works for you then you should schedule the time for yourself. It changed me so much, in my self hypnosis I talk about wanting to exercise, enjoying my exercise time... I look forward to it. Yesterday XMas Eve day I worked out for 60 minutes, in my past I never did that... I would never think about that... Today, Christmas Day, My priority is my workout of course family then making sure I work out and some self hypnosis before I head over to my sisters for Dinner... I guess you have to make sure you do what you need to get it done.
Good Luck
Steve

Amarantha2 12-25-2008 09:35 AM

I have no comment on self-hypnosis and I personally think the eat what you want and stop when you are full type philosophy isn't as useful as weight loss programs based on data like calorie counting but everyone has different thoughts and beliefs on that subject.

The reason I actually am commenting here is that the "Beck Diet Solution" by Judith Beck (daughter of man known as the "father" of behavioral therapy) is really excellent in providing concrete behavioral modalities for people seeking to lose weight. There is an active thread on this forum but I don't know if it is presently discussing the book itself, but I'd personally recommend picking it up and reading it and implementing some of the strategies if interested in behavior modification regarding food.

sjm1027 12-25-2008 10:01 AM

I would never be against what anyone is trying to lose weight. What works for me may not work for you... it's all good.
All I know is we are in the same boat and our lives would be better if we lost weight... so keep on trying until you find what works for you.
Happy Holidays
Steve

Amarantha2 12-25-2008 12:14 PM

Happy Holiday, Sjm1027!

me4life 12-25-2008 12:51 PM

i have never heard of this but sounds very interesting i may look into it

recidivist 12-25-2008 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janga (Post 2510621)
The reason I actually am commenting here is that the "Beck Diet Solution" by Judith Beck (daughter of man known as the "father" of behavioral therapy) is really excellent in providing concrete behavioral modalities for people seeking to lose weight.

Thanks Janga. That's one I would really like to check out.

ddc 12-25-2008 06:38 PM

I don't know if I can explain the eat what you want, stop when you're full thing, but I'll try.

Paul's premise is that we eat entirely too fast, so we don't really register that we're full. If you slow down, enjoy what you're eating, putting your fork down between bites and chewing at least 20 times, you can notice when your stomach is full--you're more "in tune" with your tummy, instead of just gorging yourself and eating with your eyes.

He did a study where he took a group of people to a diner and let them order anything they wanted for breakfast. Most of them ordered huge breakfasts-eggs, toast, hashbrowns, etc., and finished all the food. The next day they went to the same diner, but this time they were blindfolded. Most of them left food on their plates because they stopped eating when their stomachs said that they were full. So the idea is to "feel" your stomach getting full, not just eating to clean your plate.

(This may be somewhere earlier in this thread--I didn't check)

realitymom 12-31-2008 02:06 AM

I am still loosely following Pauls' guidelines, but got pregnant in May of '08 (after successfully losing almost 30lbs with this method!!) & am due in February. My biggest struggle is LACK of appetite. So far, I have not gained any weight & am still 2 lbs less than when I got pregnant. My biggest challenge is focusing on food when I DO eat. I get distracted too easily. But, when I force myself to focus, I eat about half of what I normally would. (mind you, this baby isn't leavin a whole lot of room for my stomach as it is! LOL)

I really wanted to brush up on the crave busting technique, but the site with the video of the technique is no longer free & requires a membership. No thanks, I'll try to remember it on my own. Plus I have the book & CD so that decribes the techinique, I think.

Happy New Year to all!

SisuInWI 12-31-2008 08:36 AM

Just wanted to say that I've found something that works for me - Think and Lose cd's, which is self-hypnosis like what Steve was mentioning. I didn't go to a hypnostist like he did though, I just purchased the cd's, watched and listened as they recommended and it addressed the food issues that are in my mind. Which is where I know the problem has always been. I was skeptical at first of course, but it works. For me anyway. Good luck to everyone in finding what works for them and have a Happy New Year.

SaneSally 01-30-2009 03:49 AM

Hi All!

I'm new here!!

I have decided after reading Paul McKenna's "I can make you thin!" that this is the thing for me. After a history of eating disorders, I no longer want to be restricting myself and in the loop of dramatic restriction followed by starvation (I am now a healthy weight btw), followed by binging and compulsive eating. I just want to be healthy and trust food again. I was looking around his website and he says that the plan is perfect for people like me. So here I am writing to you guys for support and advice! I'm hoping you'll see a lot of me around here.

I started a few days ago, and what I found so great was not having to worry about the food that I put in my mouth. I was excited by the fact that I really wanted croissant for breakfast and could have it without feeling guilt. I hadn't eaten one for over 5 years!!! It tasted so good.

What I am finding difficult however, is the whole 'eat whatever you really WANT'. I'm finding that when I'm really hungry so that my stomach is rumbling, I often am not sure what I want. I can not really tell too well. Does anyone have any tips for pinpointing exactly what you want?

Thanks for any info!!!

Sally xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

sjm1027 01-30-2009 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisuInWI (Post 2518218)
Just wanted to say that I've found something that works for me - Think and Lose cd's, which is self-hypnosis like what Steve was mentioning. I didn't go to a hypnostist like he did though, I just purchased the cd's, watched and listened as they recommended and it addressed the food issues that are in my mind. Which is where I know the problem has always been. I was skeptical at first of course, but it works. For me anyway. Good luck to everyone in finding what works for them and have a Happy New Year.

Fantastic, the bottom line is, what ever works for you is the right thing to do
Good Luck
Steve

sjm1027 01-30-2009 05:22 AM

Welcome Sally, good to see you here.
Good luck with your journey and help us get some life into this thread... we can all do better if we help eachother.

Steve